Wtf are singles for??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
I haven't heard 'Please' (I was only five y.o. at the time it was released)
It's not that hard to find.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:21 PM
If you don't get how, say, "Pride" "sounds like a single" and, say again, "Promenade" doesn't, there's no helping you. Singles are simply used to promote albums, like videos and all that other crap. They usually pick the catchier, less offensive, "single-length" songs to maximize potential radio-play.

The single version of "Please" was re-recorded probably both because they thought that the original was incomplete and that the original wasn't radio-friendly enough.

They don't sell many singles in the US anymore, since most people just get the albums or download the songs they want.

Some songs get a lot of airplay without being released as a single. Like "Until the End of the World" (which should've been released as a single instead of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," but whatever).
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I guess singles are a holdover from the days when singles mattered, or something. Really, if you like the band, you get the damn album (if there is an album).
Back in the day, the singles weren't on the album. Check out the Beatles, who released enough non-album tracks to compile two Past Masters volumes (not to mention that the 1 compilation has exactly zero tracks from some of their biggest albums, like Sgt. Pepper's or the White Album).

This was to extract more money from fans, of course, but it wasn't so bad since lots of bands actually wrote B-sides that were worth turning the damn thing over. If you're basing your assumptions on the latest round of U2 singles, I can see how you'd hear the "All Because of You (Extended Crap Mix)" and wonder what the point of it all is. Can't help you there, sorry.

But anyway, if nothing else, some singles have very, very good B-sides, and they're fun to collect. The Beatles had "She's A Woman," "I'm Down," "Rain," "We Can Work It Out," and "Penny Lane," for instance. U2's "If God Will Send His Angels" single is a favorite of mine because of its wonderful flow (and wonderfully downer mood).

Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

And the pictures were bigger. None of this itsy weeny CD sized covers. And what about 12inch singles with coloured vinyl and a full size picture sleeve.
Nothing sounds as good as a 12" single.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I guess singles are a holdover from the days when singles mattered, or something. Really, if you like the band, you get the damn album (if there is an album).
I never really liked singles. Even when I was a kid and singles were much more popular (showing my age ), I very rarely bought them. I did much prefer the albums (still do). If I only like one song by an artist I generally don't feel much compulsion to buy.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blahblahblah
if no-one released singles ala Zeppelin/Floyd etc. albums would sell more on the merit of the actual album tracks in my opinion rather than saying "Oh, that's the one with Beautiful Day isn't it?" All of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd albums are fantastic collections of music and EVERY track is seen as standalone rather than shadowed by a monster single. Just imagine Dark Side of the Moon with just 'Money' or something?
Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd both released singles.

As a matter of fact, I have a couple of Zeppelin 45's, Whole Lotta Love and Immigrant Song.

Pink Floyd had a #1 hit in America with Another Brick Part 2. You don't get a #1 hit in America without releasing a single (at least not in 1980 anyways)

I also have Joel Whitburns Billboard top 40 book around here somewhere, I think Zeppelin had about 6 top 40 hits, Floyd only had two, if I remember right. Another Brick in the Wall and Money.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #21
New Yorker

Yeah, Pink Floyd had a fair few singles.

And one of Led Zeppelin's most played songs on the radio, "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do," was a B-side (to "Immigrant Song," I think).