Wrestling: Eddie Guerrero passes away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wrestlers put their bodies through hell.

First time in a while that an active wrestler has died.

RIP Eddie.

I'm shocked, but then again part of me isn't. He was caught DUI-ing sometime ago and I think the combination of the drugs/alcohol and the high risk nature of his job were contributing factors to his tragic death.

That said he was a magnificent entertainer and one heck of a wrestler and I'll miss him. Rest in peace.

Gutted, he celebrated 4 years of sobriety this week. Apparently had a massive heart attack while brushing his teeth.

I'm very upset about this, my favourite wrestler ever, a true legend. The man was a talent unto his own and I'm so sorry I came within days of seeing him live, only for him to return to the WWE just before he worked my show.

A genuine loss to the world, RIP Latino Heat, a hero of my youth.

The former WWE wrestler Test released a statement regarding the demands put on WWE wrestlers.

Excerpt: "I'm actually wondering who's next? Who's next to die? I can think of at least 15 to 20 people who have died from various things - mostly prescription pain killers. For all you wanna be wrestlers who wanna get in this business, especially now when WWE doesn't pay you anymore than you would make at a 9 to 5 job, let me break some things down for you. When I started wrestling I had never seen or heard of Vicodin or Percocet or Soma. How come so many wrestlers die from these medications and football players and hockey players don't? The answer is simple - wrestlers, especially WWE wrestlers, work five days a week all year long taking bump after bump in the ring. A doctor explained it to me like this: Every time you take a fall in the ring it's like getting rear-ended by a car going 20 mph, so how many bumps in the ring a night do you take? Multiply that by how many times a week you work all year long. That's a hell of a lot of whiplash and pain. I can remember hearing a conversation from some unnamed WWE head guys talking about how this certain person needs to go to rehab but they couldn’t send him because he was to important to the show. That's the reality people that is how we are treated. Look at me. I break my neck in the ring had to have two discs taken out of my neck and a steel plate put in and was told at the time by Johnny Ace when I asked if my job would be in jeopardy, 'We don't fire people with injuries like that.' Hmm, that's funny, because two months after surgery I got fired because I wasn't working. My seven years of busting my ass for them and putting over the boss's son while my foot was broken in a cast was all forgotten about. When Johnny Ace called me and told me they were releasing me - which of course he put all the heat on Vince - I said to him, 'What kind of message are you sending the boys that if they get hurt they are going to get fired?' So all the guys who don't want to lose their jobs, what do they do? Pop a couple of Percocet or Vicodin and mask the pain because god forbid they say they are hurt and lose their job. I'm not going to name any names, but I know at least a dozen or so wrestlers who are addicted to these things for that very reason. Get hurt, lose your job. I just turned 30, my back aches everyday, I have a metal plate in my neck, and yes I got in the business at the right time and have a lot of nice things, but is it all worth it? You guys don't see the ugly side of this business. Yes, wrestling is entertainment, but the bumps and bruises are real and sometimes they don't go away. So think long and hard before you get in this business because I can tell you first hand that if you're not working or making them money they don't give a shit about you and the sad part is Eddie was clean and I guarantee he won't be the last one to die in the next 12 months. So that's why I say who's next? Don't take your life for granted it's a gift. Don't go to bed mad and tell the people you care about you love them because you never know. Take care

I think Test has a point that these athletes are put under great pressure to perform night in and night out. Brian Pillman and Owen Hart are 2 other wrestlers who come to mind who died before their time, one addicted to painkillers, the other a victim of a stunt during a PPV. Hawk from LOD is another wrestler who recently died young, their lifestyles in this industry are unhealthy and these early deaths are evidence of it. Since Vince swallowed up WCW and ECW, wrestlers are under even more pressure to perform because there are no other employers except TNA and Japan. At least they had options before but now..........

and watching Chris Benoit during his dedication is just heartwrenching.:sad:

Is that really true? I did't know about that! A shock indeed... He was a great wrestler! ...a great technique, a lot diffrent from others... Rest in peace, Eddie! we'll never forget you!

WWE.com posted the following:

After the untimely passing of Eddie Guerrero, WWE and the entire sports-entertainment community is steel reeling from the devastating loss of a champion. The initial autopsy reports on Guerrero have come in. WWE.com spoke with Eddie’s widow, Vickie Guerrero, earlier today.

“It was heart failure. It was from his past – the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that’s what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.

As soon as they saw his heart, they saw the lining of his heart already had the heart disease. There was no trauma, and Eddie hadn’t hurt himself in any way. It answered a lot of questions. I knew Eddie wasn’t feeling very good for the last week. He was home and kept saying he wasn’t feeling good and we thought it was just “road tired.” So we thought he just had to rest. It answered a lot of my questions, too, because he was just so exhausted. She said it was normal because the heart was working so hard.

When he didn’t call me last night and the night before I knew it was for real, because he would call me every night. I miss his phone calls. I cried through the whole thing (last night).

I loved his laugh. His laugh was the best.

We just celebrated his four-year sobriety last Thursday. We just thought we had life by the handful. We thought we had it all figured out. He worked so hard to make a better life for us.

I’m just overwhelmed by how people are coming out. It’s touched my heart a lot.

Everybody was just in awe last night in how beautifully everything was put together.

All my life was wrestling. All he did was take care of them and live for that. And I don’t know what to do now.”

Raw last nite on Sky Sports 3 was totally dedicated to Eddie, which was really nice. Seeing everyone stood together in silence at the start, and watching the Big Show & Benoit in tears was really sad.

Chris Benoit and Chavo's dedications were particularly moving, as was the audience's reaction.

A sad weekend indeed.

I used to watch Eddie a lot back in my younger days. Hadn't watched it in a while so when I sat down flicking through the channels of Wendsday and decided to watch the beginning of Raw. And there it was...

From all reports he was a brilliant guy and without a doubt an amazing entertainer. He managed to come back from complete and utter rock bottom in life, found God and turned his life completely around. So like Michaels said, I feel happy knowing that there is no doubt that Eddie has gone to a better place. I will never forget the Eddie/RVD ladder match on Raw a few years ago, completely amazing athleticisim, charisma and skill. Eddie was the man :up:.

RIP Eddie. :sad:

I used to watch wrestling back in the day. Yes I used to watch.. :lol: It's really sad that he died. He was very cool. :(
If he'd gone to the doctor when he was feeling crappy they probably could have done something. But I don't think it would have been possible or even helped.

Does anyone have an excerpt of what Big Show and Chris Benoit said about Eddie?

Back
Top Bottom