Wow...They're gonna play!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
OMG.....what a surprise all..!!

The Who have decided to play after all...!

God, I'm glad that I didn't get my money back..I have tickets for that show!!! kewl...its gonna be one hell of a show, not to mention a tear-jerker!...I'm bringing some tissues!...

Check this out!

The Who to Resume Tour Without Entwistle
Fri Jun 28, 6:03 PM ET
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The two surviving members of veteran rock band The Who will carry on with their North American tour despite Thursday's death of the group's bassist, John Entwistle, the group said on Friday.

In a surprise announcement issued by their management, lead singer Roger Daltrey and guitarist-songwriter Pete Townshend said the tour would open on Monday at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles "as a tribute to John Entwistle and to the loss of an irreplaceable friend."

"The Entwistle family is in full support of the decision to continue and feel this is what John would have wanted," the statement added.

Entwistle's son, Christopher, added that his father "lived for music and will always live within The Who's music. This is what he would have wished, and our love goes out to the remaining band members and the entourage that makes up The Who family."

Entwistle, a founding Who member regarded as one of the most influential bassists in rock music, was found dead on Thursday in his Las Vegas hotel room, a victim of what was widely believed to have been a heart attack. He was 57.

An autopsy was scheduled to be performed by the Clark County coroner in Las Vegas on Friday.

Entwistle's death, nearly 25 years after The Who's original drummer, Keith Moon, died of an accidental pill overdose, came on the eve of what was expected to be one of the marquee U.S. concert series of the summer.

Townshend, Daltrey and Entwistle originally were slated to launch a three-month, 24-venue tour on Friday in Las Vegas with an ensemble that included drummer Zak Starkey, son of former Beatle Ringo Starr. That show was canceled, along with a concert slated for Saturday in Irvine, California.

DALTREY AND TOWNSHEND DEVASTATED BY FRIENDS'S DEATH

The surviving band members will now launch their tour in Hollywood, with the Las Vegas and Irvine shows to be rescheduled later, the band's managers said.

A source close to the band told Reuters Thursday night that a devastated Daltrey and Townshend spent several hours in Los Angeles after learning of their bandmate's death. Entwistle had arrived in Las Vegas ahead of the others to open a traveling exhibition of his artwork.

The Who drew rave reviews for its last tour of North America and grossed $21.1 million in ticket sales, enough to rank the group 21st among all touring acts in 2000.

Although the band decided to return to the road without Entwistle, his death left in doubt the outcome of a new studio album the group had begun preparing -- what would be their first since 1982's "It's Hard."

It also leaves The Who without the figure who had been the band's anchor from its beginning nearly 40 years ago. Affectionately nicknamed "The Ox," Entwistle was long the calm, stationary presence at the center of explosive stage antics of Daltrey, Townshend and Moon, and his musicianship stood out as no rock bassist had before him.

His kinetic playing style, punctuated by fills, counter-melodies and other embellishments brought his bass lines to the forefront of the group's sound as a quasi-lead instrument.

Tributes to the bearded, taciturn musician poured in from around the world on Friday.

Bill Wyman, the bassist for the Rolling Stones, called Entwistle "a great friend for many years -- the quietest man in private but the loudest on stage!"

"He was unique and irreplaceable -- I am shocked and devastated," Wyman said.

Last edited:
Here's what Pete said on his website...

In the diaries section...

28 June 2002

"We are going on. First show Hollywood Bowl. Pray for us John, wherever you are. "

:cool:

What strength..to go on...wow!

They want to play a tribute show for him, ok cool. Go for it. Honor the man and grieve for him.

But if we were talking about this 2 weeks ago I would have said the same thing, the Who died in 1978. And I think it's a sad thing if they plan on doing a whole tour now that John is gone.

As sicy said:

"Shut up Johnny"

Since you said: "the Who died in 1978" then quit stirring up trouble by posting to these threads being that you don't seem to be a fan...Sheesh!:angry: :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom