Wow, the Chili Peppers suck ass - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I agree. Though my husband just walked by me and said they both sucked

Old 10-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Wait, Lila, don't you have the Chili Peppers on speed dial?

Lila is our direct link to the band! You went to school with them, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Has anyone ever sat down and just listened to Flea and Chad in Blood Sugar Sex Magik? It's unbelievable. Those two guys blow my mind. Every song, every fucking song on that album flows perfectly from start to finish.

BSSM was the very first album I bought with my own money. From the music, right down to the liner notes and cover art, there was something utterly authentic about it. And the flow is incredible, as you point out. The transition that never fails to amaze me is the one between Suck My Kiss and I Could Have Lied--an unparalleled display of emotional range for a rock band. (John's solos on the latter are also like chocolate heaven.)

Stadium Arcadium is also brilliant, in an understated way. It's more philosophical and a bit of a star-gazing thing, but it's undoubtedly my second favourite RHCP album beacuse of those elements.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:47 PM
I may need to pick up some of the last studio releases prior to Stadium Arcadium

And yes, I have a yearbook with Anthony in it. And a few others associated to the band (Jack Irons, Hillel Slovak,...). But that was 20+ years ago. And I have a friend who many years ago sold her house to an attorney, who as it turns out was and still is the attorney for them as well.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:47 PM
I'm going to say this right now, and sit back and see what happens:

Except for the singers, Red Hot Chili Peppers are better than U2. Bono is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis, granted.

But John Frusciante's a consistently better guitarist than Edge, Flea is a wayyyyyyy better bass player than Adam Clayton (i think even chili haters would agree with this), and Chad Smith is a better drummer than Larry Mullen Jr.

Period.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Except for the singers, Red Hot Chili Peppers are better than U2. Bono is a better lyricist than Anthony Kiedis, granted.

But John Frusciante's a consistently better guitarist than Edge, Flea is a wayyyyyyy better bass player than Adam Clayton (i think even chili haters would agree with this), and Chad Smith is a better drummer than Larry Mullen Jr.

Period.
I agree with this and think it's okay to agree and still prefer U2.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Me too.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

the chili peppers used to be a funk almost rap/rock band... after under the bridge they've slowly turned more and more away from that style all together, while still keeping a slight funk edge, thanks largely to flea. the peppers sound nothing today like they did before they did that one song...

and of course the guy who convinced kedis to record Under The Bridge despite it being so different from the rest of their work was rick rubin
Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I agree with this and think it's okay to agree and still prefer U2.
In my opinion:

The technical aptitude of the musicians who happen to be the constituent parts of a band, does not dictate the actual quality of the music produced by said band.

For example:

Joe Perry and Richie Sambora are considerably better guitarists (in regards to purely technical criteria) than John Frusciante, Dave Gilmour and The Edge, although I very much doubt that anyone, especially within the confines of this particular forum, would employ a similar argument to propose that ‘Aerosmith’ or ‘Bon Jovi’ are ‘better’ bands than ‘RHCP’, ‘U2’, or God forbid ‘Pink Floyd’.

Interestingly, the musicality and technicality of bands, and their constituent musicians, are the only factors in attracting our aural attention that are actually quantifiable, and preference, as everybody knows, is a purely subjective matter that is much more difficult to define.

In short ‘Zoots’:

“Knock yourself out!”

By the way (it’s funny that I should say that), music is not a competitive sport, it’s an art form.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroDude

In short ‘Zoots’:

“Knock yourself out!”
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #70
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:

Period.
isn't this the ol'superior technique = 'better' arguement?
don't most of us agree that great technique doesn't always mean great music?
would Desire or Streets have been better had they been written by Chilis?

I guess, in the end, the question is, whose songs do more for you?
for me, it's U2.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Quote:

Period.
I wouldn't say that Bono is a definitively better lyricist than Keidis simply because of how low he's fallen in the last ten years (Bono has peddled vague platitudes to the masses for some time, now, though his handful of high points are shockingly high and Keidis's are...well, nonexistent), but I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post. U2 are...average musicians at their very, very, very best.

I'm not really into comparing these two bands, since I think they both suck, these days, but I have to fall back to Dorian Gray on this one--technically skilled doesn't always mean a band or artist is good. Steve Vai? Satriani? They're beyond unlistenable. I don't give a shit if you can play a 128th note unless it's in an interesting song. Again, I don't want to take a side in the Chili Peppers vs. U2 debate, but I can't accept a band on sound musical technique alone. I don't like Mastodon either, you know? But they're still so much better than U2 at using their instruments that it's embarrassing...
Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Period.
Pretty much, yeah. I don't think many people could disagree with that. They're all fantastic technical musicians, and not in the emotionally hollow way that some good 'technical' bands are (as Zero Dude pointed out.) They absolutely blow U2 off the screen when it comes to pure technicality. That said, U2's musical simplicity does work particularly well for albums such as UF.

Speaking about technicality, I listened to Salute To Kareem for the first time in a long time the other day. Oh, Flea. I still shudder to think that people at Interference think Flea is a lesser bass player than Adam. Well, at least that's the way it seemed from that old Adam vs Flea poll...absolutely disgusting results.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray

Not really. The guitar player for Scorpions (oh dear) was technically more proficient than Edge, but Frusciante's been pumping out some amazing riffs on Stadium Arcadium instead of the same ol delay.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

When you start using the "he plays better" line, you're out of passion or love for music.

You also have no idea what music is.

Leave the board.

Sell your records.

You suck.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #75
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray

don't most of us agree that great technique doesn't always mean great music?

I guess, in the end, the question is, whose songs do more for you?
for me, it's U2.
Totally agree with this. I really like RHCP (especially their older stuff, like Blood Sex Magik) but at the end of the day, I prefer U2. Their music has just affected my life in so many more ways, even if their technical skills aren't up to par with other bands.