Wow, the Chili Peppers suck ass - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Just interesting some people ready to rip U2 for sounding "mainstream" on the other hand proudly wave their worship flags for post Californication/By the way RHCP, Keane etc.
I'll just assume that was meant for me.

Um.. yes. I like HTDAAB. But I like Stadium Arcadium even more. And I absolutely love Hopes And Fears.

With RHCP, I agree that they have mellowed out just like U2 and there are a few clunkers/snoozers on Stadium. But there are also several brilliant songs (imo) especially on Disc 1.

Keane on the other hand have only 2 albums under their belt and have been doing melodic pop from the beginning. And they do it ssssoooooo well

Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

For those comparing RHCP with U2, think about this. RHCP never took themselves seriously. They always had crap lyrics but amazing instrumentation & rhythm section. Only recently has Anthony started taking his band seriously and writing more mature lyrics, which granted still isn't exactly poetry compared to U2's glorious past.

U2 on the other hand has always taken themselves very seriously and given us several amazing lyrics from several amazing albums. But I feel they've been taking themselves and their fans for granted lately and churning out mediocre material.

Both bands are like opposites in this case even though both have mellowed out in their old age.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:52 PM
I'll disagree w/ the premise of this thread and say that yes, RHCP have some clunky lyrics, but I love the MUSIC and Anthony's rhyhming capabilities....sometimes that's what you want, mindless rhyhming schemes.

Stadium Arcadium is phenominal and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

But to each his/her own.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:52 AM
RHCP>>>>>>>>>Radiohead+Coldplay
Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
I'll disagree w/ the premise of this thread and say that yes, RHCP have some clunky lyrics, but I love the MUSIC and Anthony's rhyhming capabilities....sometimes that's what you want, mindless rhyhming schemes.

Stadium Arcadium is phenominal and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

But to each his/her own.
Well said. I never got into the Chili Peppers for their lyrics anyway. Anthony has never been good at lyrics. The Chili Peppers have possibly one of THE tightest rhythm sections in rock music today (and rock music in the past) and that is primarily the reason why I'm such a fan. Has anyone ever sat down and just listened to Flea and Chad in Blood Sugar Sex Magik? It's unbelievable. Those two guys blow my mind. Every song, every fucking song on that album flows perfectly from start to finish. And they've still got it, as is evident in Stadium Arcadium. Anthony's lyrics, while they don't always work on a purely lyrical basis, interweave so well with the rhythm section. And, of course, you've got John who's just awesome. The best thing that ever happened to the band. His harmonies with Anthony are just brilliant.

If all of that is "uninspired drivel," I want more.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Radiohead >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RHCP > Barbara Streisand > Coldplay
Old 10-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:52 PM
i do believe the point of the thread is how there are many people on this forum who slam u2 for a lot of the things that bands they think are so hip and cool and "down with it" do as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i do believe the point of the thread is how there are many people on this forum who slam u2 for a lot of the things that bands they think are so hip and cool and "down with it" do as well.
I can see why the point would be made, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Utoo started talking about the quality of lyrical output - as has been repeated by most of the RHCP fans here, Anthony Kiedis has never been reknowned for his lyrics. Never. I can name very few RHCP songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. I can, however, name numerous U2 songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. It makes absolutely no sense to accuse Chili Peppers fans of hypocrisy when they talk about Bono's poor lyrical output. Why? Because we know Bono's capable of better. Just as we know that Anthony's lyrics are about as good as they're going to get. Anthony's clunky lyrics are typical of him. Bono's clunky lyrics are atypical of him.

Most of the celebration Stadium Arcadium has received has been in terms of its music and melodies, not its lyrics. True, Stadium Arcadium hasn't exactly been a huge leap for the band in terms of their overall sound. It IS a natural, slight progression from Californication/By The Way, much like HTDAAB was from ATYCLB. But, again, they haven't reinvented themselves even half as drastically as U2 have in the past. Thus, it's typical of the RHCP to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time, while it's atypical of U2 to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time. Where's the sense in accusing a RHCP fan of hipocrisy when they get disappointed in U2 for not being musically challenging, then?

It all boils down to the fact that they're completely and utterly different bands. The things that I love about U2 are NOT the things that I love about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Wow, the Chili Peppers suck ass

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
Hey-oh,
Listen what I say-oh
I got your hey-oh
Now listen what I say-oh

Shut up, he made my baby fall in love with me!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
I'm a little surprised by this post. You're from Birmingham/Leeds and you prefer a band from California to 2 major bands from the UK? Not that there's anything wrong with that because you may have a number of reasons to feel that way. I'm just surprised.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
RHCP > Barbara Streisand > Coldplay
!!!

I wouldn't push Coldplay that far down but I do prefer Keane to Coldplay. Maybe it has something to do with Tom's voice being >>>>> Chris's voice.

Quote:
So are you saying that they ALL suck?

For me anyway, the point is that U2 'used' to be phenomenal! And now I find them to be mediocre. RHCP I've never been that big of a fan. But starting with BSSM and more so with Californication, they've really impressed me. In other words, I think Old U2 >>>>>>>> Old school RHCP whereas New RHCP >>>>>> New U2.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I can see why the point would be made, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Utoo started talking about the quality of lyrical output - as has been repeated by most of the RHCP fans here, Anthony Kiedis has never been reknowned for his lyrics. Never. I can name very few RHCP songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. I can, however, name numerous U2 songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. It makes absolutely no sense to accuse Chili Peppers fans of hypocrisy when they talk about Bono's poor lyrical output. Why? Because we know Bono's capable of better. Just as we know that Anthony's lyrics are about as good as they're going to get. Anthony's clunky lyrics are typical of him. Bono's clunky lyrics are atypical of him.

Most of the celebration Stadium Arcadium has received has been in terms of its music and melodies, not its lyrics. True, Stadium Arcadium hasn't exactly been a huge leap for the band in terms of their overall sound. It IS a natural, slight progression from Californication/By The Way, much like HTDAAB was from ATYCLB. But, again, they haven't reinvented themselves even half as drastically as U2 have in the past. Thus, it's typical of the RHCP to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time, while it's atypical of U2 to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time. Where's the sense in accusing a RHCP fan of hipocrisy when they get disappointed in U2 for not being musically challenging, then?

It all boils down to the fact that they're completely and utterly different bands. The things that I love about U2 are NOT the things that I love about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

You rock!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

You rock!!!
When doesn't she?

I still haven't decided on the Radiohead >< Coldplay >< U2 >< Keane >< RHCP argument. Probably because I like each band for a completely different reason.

In fact, the super band between them would be amazing.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm not sure comparing rhcp and u2 makes sense. unless, of course, u2 suddenly turned into a funk band.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I'm a little surprised by this post. You're from Birmingham/Leeds and you prefer a band from California to 2 major bands from the UK? Not that there's anything wrong with that because you may have a number of reasons to feel that way. I'm just surprised.

I never thought of it that way lol.

Anyway, songs lyrics to me aren't really very important. The music is what makes a song, good lyrics are like an added bonus imo.

And i play bass guitar so i have a slight leaning towards the chilli's. Some of their playing is so complex and original. Listening and playing along to Flea's stuff has made me a better player

Oh and performances like this

Old 10-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote: