Wow, the Chili Peppers suck ass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
Just interesting some people ready to rip U2 for sounding "mainstream" on the other hand proudly wave their worship flags for post Californication/By the way RHCP, Keane etc.

I'll just assume that was meant for me. ;)

Um.. yes. I like HTDAAB. But I like Stadium Arcadium even more. And I absolutely love Hopes And Fears.

With RHCP, I agree that they have mellowed out just like U2 and there are a few clunkers/snoozers on Stadium. But there are also several brilliant songs (imo) especially on Disc 1.

Keane on the other hand have only 2 albums under their belt and have been doing melodic pop from the beginning. And they do it ssssoooooo well :drool: :drool: :drool:

For those comparing RHCP with U2, think about this. RHCP never took themselves seriously. They always had crap lyrics but amazing instrumentation & rhythm section. Only recently has Anthony started taking his band seriously and writing more mature lyrics, which granted still isn't exactly poetry compared to U2's glorious past.

U2 on the other hand has always taken themselves very seriously and given us several amazing lyrics from several amazing albums. But I feel they've been taking themselves and their fans for granted lately and churning out mediocre material.

Both bands are like opposites in this case even though both have mellowed out in their old age.

I'll disagree w/ the premise of this thread and say that yes, RHCP have some clunky lyrics, but I love the MUSIC and Anthony's rhyhming capabilities....sometimes that's what you want, mindless rhyhming schemes.

Stadium Arcadium is phenominal and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

But to each his/her own.

Numb1075 said:
I'll disagree w/ the premise of this thread and say that yes, RHCP have some clunky lyrics, but I love the MUSIC and Anthony's rhyhming capabilities....sometimes that's what you want, mindless rhyhming schemes.

But to each his/her own.

Well said. :up: I never got into the Chili Peppers for their lyrics anyway. Anthony has never been good at lyrics. The Chili Peppers have possibly one of THE tightest rhythm sections in rock music today (and rock music in the past) and that is primarily the reason why I'm such a fan. Has anyone ever sat down and just listened to Flea and Chad in Blood Sugar Sex Magik? It's unbelievable. Those two guys blow my mind. Every song, every fucking song on that album flows perfectly from start to finish. And they've still got it, as is evident in Stadium Arcadium. Anthony's lyrics, while they don't always work on a purely lyrical basis, interweave so well with the rhythm section. And, of course, you've got John who's just awesome. The best thing that ever happened to the band. His harmonies with Anthony are just brilliant.

If all of that is "uninspired drivel," I want more.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i do believe the point of the thread is how there are many people on this forum who slam u2 for a lot of the things that bands they think are so hip and cool and "down with it" do as well.

I can see why the point would be made, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Utoo started talking about the quality of lyrical output - as has been repeated by most of the RHCP fans here, Anthony Kiedis has never been reknowned for his lyrics. Never. I can name very few RHCP songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. I can, however, name numerous U2 songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. It makes absolutely no sense to accuse Chili Peppers fans of hypocrisy when they talk about Bono's poor lyrical output. Why? Because we know Bono's capable of better. Just as we know that Anthony's lyrics are about as good as they're going to get. Anthony's clunky lyrics are typical of him. Bono's clunky lyrics are atypical of him.

Most of the celebration Stadium Arcadium has received has been in terms of its music and melodies, not its lyrics. True, Stadium Arcadium hasn't exactly been a huge leap for the band in terms of their overall sound. It IS a natural, slight progression from Californication/By The Way, much like HTDAAB was from ATYCLB. But, again, they haven't reinvented themselves even half as drastically as U2 have in the past. Thus, it's typical of the RHCP to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time, while it's atypical of U2 to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time. Where's the sense in accusing a RHCP fan of hipocrisy when they get disappointed in U2 for not being musically challenging, then?

It all boils down to the fact that they're completely and utterly different bands. The things that I love about U2 are NOT the things that I love about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

1stepcloser said:
RHCP>>>>>>>>>Radiohead+Coldplay

I'm a little surprised by this post. You're from Birmingham/Leeds and you prefer a band from California to 2 major bands from the UK? Not that there's anything wrong with that because you may have a number of reasons to feel that way. I'm just surprised.

GibsonGirl said:
RHCP > Barbara Streisand > Coldplay

:lmao:!!!

I wouldn't push Coldplay that far down but I do prefer Keane to Coldplay. :drool: Maybe it has something to do with Tom's voice being >>>>> Chris's voice. :wink:

i do believe the point of the thread is how there are many people on this forum who slam u2 for a lot of the things that bands they think are so hip and cool and "down with it" do as well.

So are you saying that they ALL suck? ;)

For me anyway, the point is that U2 'used' to be phenomenal! And now I find them to be mediocre. RHCP I've never been that big of a fan. But starting with BSSM and more so with Californication, they've really impressed me. In other words, I think Old U2 >>>>>>>> Old school RHCP whereas New RHCP >>>>>> New U2. :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:
I can see why the point would be made, but I don't necessarily agree with it. Utoo started talking about the quality of lyrical output - as has been repeated by most of the RHCP fans here, Anthony Kiedis has never been reknowned for his lyrics. Never. I can name very few RHCP songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. I can, however, name numerous U2 songs that have very thought-provoking lyrics. It makes absolutely no sense to accuse Chili Peppers fans of hypocrisy when they talk about Bono's poor lyrical output. Why? Because we know Bono's capable of better. Just as we know that Anthony's lyrics are about as good as they're going to get. Anthony's clunky lyrics are typical of him. Bono's clunky lyrics are atypical of him.

Most of the celebration Stadium Arcadium has received has been in terms of its music and melodies, not its lyrics. True, Stadium Arcadium hasn't exactly been a huge leap for the band in terms of their overall sound. It IS a natural, slight progression from Californication/By The Way, much like HTDAAB was from ATYCLB. But, again, they haven't reinvented themselves even half as drastically as U2 have in the past. Thus, it's typical of the RHCP to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time, while it's atypical of U2 to maintain a certain kind of sound for a period of time. Where's the sense in accusing a RHCP fan of hipocrisy when they get disappointed in U2 for not being musically challenging, then?

It all boils down to the fact that they're completely and utterly different bands. The things that I love about U2 are NOT the things that I love about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You rock!!!

Zootlesque said:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You rock!!!

When doesn't she? :rockon:

I still haven't decided on the Radiohead >< Coldplay >< U2 >< Keane >< RHCP argument. Probably because I like each band for a completely different reason.

In fact, the super band between them would be amazing. :drool:

i'm not sure comparing rhcp and u2 makes sense. unless, of course, u2 suddenly turned into a funk band.

:yikes:

Zootlesque said:

I'm a little surprised by this post. You're from Birmingham/Leeds and you prefer a band from California to 2 major bands from the UK? Not that there's anything wrong with that because you may have a number of reasons to feel that way. I'm just surprised.

I never thought of it that way lol.

Anyway, songs lyrics to me aren't really very important. The music is what makes a song, good lyrics are like an added bonus imo.

And i play bass guitar so i have a slight leaning towards the chilli's. Some of their playing is so complex and original. Listening and playing along to Flea's stuff has made me a better player

Oh and performances like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abrKM1Z_te8

Love the jams they have before songs :drool:

:yes:

This was indeed the point of the thread. I totally acknowledge and probably agree with most of what GG said. U2 and RCHP are two very different bands and have very different strengths. But when the same words are used to characterize (or criticize) the music of both bands----"daring," "experimental," etc.---it's almost hard to say that one isn't really comparing the two bands on some level. To me, other than the bass lines, most of RHCP isn't "daring," nor really "edgy," etc. Rhyming is great, and I do praise Anthony's great rhyming skills. But when 1/3 of the lyrics are pointless filler just to get to a rhyme...that doesn't impress me at all.

I think it's fine if one wants to argue that U2 have taken a step down from where one believes they may have been. However, I don't think the level they're at now is any lower than the level where oft-praised bands lie.

As evidenced by just about everything but their rhythm section, RCHP only occasionally delivers a complete package. When a band like U2 only delivers half a package, they get railed on because we're used to getting more from them. But when a band that only occasionally gives you the full thing comes out with half a package, they're praised. Is it that you don't expect as much? If RCHP consistently give you 75% and they come out with something that's only 75% or 80%, that's okay---and better than the band that usually gives 90-95% and comes out with the same 80%? You may be happy that the one improved and sad that the other worsened, but ultimately it's the same product. To me, many posts--even if they intend only to showcase the gladness or disappointment---also come off as saying that one is better than the other.

Or to take a line from above about Keane having always been a "pop"ish band. If a band "sells out" to mainstream from the very start, is that really so much better and acceptable than a band that makes a foray into a pop-ish album 20 years down the road?

Seems like it can make sense....yet it still just seems off to me. :shrug:

Last edited:
Numb1075 said:

But to each his/her own.

:up:

and everything GibsonGirl said :up: :up:

Utoo said:
But when the same words are used to characterize (or criticize) the music of both bands----"daring," "experimental," etc.---it's almost hard to say that one isn't really comparing the two bands on some level. To me, other than the bass lines, most of RHCP isn't "daring," nor really "edgy," etc.

First of all, I have never seen anybody use words like 'daring' and 'experimental' to describe anything to do with RHCP! Nor have I personally ever used it. Where are you getting this? :scratch:

Utoo said:
I think it's fine if one wants to argue that U2 have taken a step down from where one believes they may have been. However, I don't think the level they're at now is any lower than the level where oft-praised bands lie.

As evidenced by just about everything but their rhythm section, RCHP only occasionally delivers a complete package. When a band like U2 only delivers half a package, they get railed on because we're used to getting more from them. But when a band that only occasionally gives you the full thing comes out with half a package, they're praised. Is it that you don't expect as much?

Secondly, this is a good question you have raised which I'd like to attempt an answer for. Don't know if I've got this figured out so I'll give 3 possible takes or cases.

CASE I

Ever since Blood Sugar Sex Magik in 1991, the RHCP have been pretty consistent with their output, whether you think they've been really good, good, okay or bad. Now some may argue that One Hot Minute was worse than anything else but I'm not in a position to comment on that since I haven't heard the entire album. Nor have I listened to the entirety of By The Way but I think I understand the general picture of their consistency in quality from album to album. These are guys that do what they do best and I think they're pretty good at it. They're not chameleons, they hardly ever make drastic changes. Sure, their earlier material was way more funky and now they've somewhat mellowed out. But I don't see it as that drastic of a change. So, in all probability if you liked Blood Sugar Sex Magik, you'd also like Californication, By The Way and Stadium Arcadium.. for the most part. Cos they all sound quite similar, at least to my ears.

On the other hand, U2 have always been chameleons. They make drastic changes in sound, image, concept.. that's what defines U2 as they've always been. So you never know what to expect from them and they often set themselves up for disappointment. So here, if you liked The Joshua Tree, there's no guarantee you'll like Achtung Baby or Zooropa. And if you liked Pop, there's no guarantee you'll like ATYCLB. Maybe that's why their fan base is so vocal and expect 100% from the band all the time.

CASE II

I can only speak for myself. But I'll just assume that since we're on a U2 message board, we all know U2's music very well. We have all the albums and can think of at least 2 or 3 albums that we consider the best ever, not just by U2 but by any band. For instance, I consider The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and Pop to be 3 of the greatest albums ever by anyone. Anyway, so what I'm trying to say is we hold them on such a high pedestal. Personally I don't hold RHCP or Radiohead on that same high pedestal. We expect so much from U2. And when we find flaws on their albums we freak out and discuss them to death. Flaws that may have gone un-noticed on an RHCP album or a Radiohead album for the simple fact that we're not as big fans of those bands! This is U2 so it gets scrutinized under the fine lens of the fan microscope. Every single thing has to be perfect... the music, the lyrics, the album artwork, the production, the attitude, the themes, the concept.. Whereas I doubt if you guys spend so much time discussing new albums of bands you like but you're not crazy about. It's U2 so it must be the best! It must be able to stand alongside their other genius albums! Maybe this mentality is setting us up for disappointment.

CASE III

All of that is bullshit. You can never define how you feel about music. There is no hypocracy here. You may feel U2 sold out by making pop music but may still like the melodic tunes of Keane. Because that's just what your instincts tell you! You cannot control it. You cannot explain it. There's just something to Album A that makes you want to listen to it over and over again. And there's just something to Album B that makes you want to cringe everytime you give it a spin. It's unexplainable and probably a waste of time discussing on a message board.

So yeah, not sure which case it is. Leaning towards CASE I. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The Chili Peppers are absolutly amazing. I saw them live last month and it was the best concert i have ever been to. They rocked so hard. The chemistry between flea,frusciante and smith is unbelivable. I think that Frusciante is more talented than the edge and writes better riffs.

I think all are very good points, Zoots. I just don't get this mindset where one or more of U2's eras represent a failing on the part of the band, to people who don't like that particular era. Their albums and live shows consistently sell no matter what era, so they're obviously speaking to some segment of their fanbase, and they continue to bring in new fans all the time. Why can't people just accept that this is personal preference of some eras over others, and not some weakening of quality on the part of the band? I guess I'll never understand fans who think that way. :shrug:

They pretty much bore me&i used to like them but now, it all sounds so the same! :yawn: i even end up switching the radio when they're on!

Lila64 said:
isn't it all about personal preference? :shrug:

No.

If you don't like the same music as someone else, there is something wrong with you.

Let the gods of elitism rain down and light up our lives.

inmyplace13 said:
Yeah, 'Tell Me Baby' isn't very good at all.

The thing about RHCP is that while I like them and while they've written some decent tunes, they're not godly in any way shape or form. The guy who lives next door to me absolutely worships them, and I don't consider them anything special enough to worship. After awhile, all of their songs sound the same. I know that's a cliche criticism, but it's pretty true in some cases. This is, of course, all my opinion, but I just feel like they get a lot more credit than they deserve.

I generally agree with this. Stadium Arcadium honestly didn't do a lot for me. I listened through it a few times and have no desire to go back to it. Just sort of sounds like inferior versions of songs of theirs I've heard before, to be honest.

Usually I agree that while Anthony's not a terrific lyricist, he has decent rhymes that compliment the music pretty well. But when there are lines that are so consistantly laughable and embarrassing, to the point that it detracts from the music...I have a hard time just ignoring it. U2 has songs like that too, tons of bands do. Maybe I'm just too picky.

I'd rather listen to John Frusciante's solo stuff these days. :wink:

There's no need to compare Stadium Arcadium and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. They're both really enjoyable in their own way.

Back
Top Bottom