Wow! Ok, Interferencers . . . help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
So my first trip to New York is coming up.

My friend who I'm going with has, as he put it, "certain tastes" and so he gave me a list of hotels. He's offered to shoulder the majority of the bill, but he's leaving it up to me to pick which one.

New Yorkers and those in the New-York-know, help!

Which one should I pick? :scratch: (Keep in mind I've never been to New York before in my life!)

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1408
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1299
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=97500
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1234
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1380
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=97501

Well both times I've been to NY i've been budget conscious and stayed at the red roof inn on 34th street. Its right round the block from the empire state, a short walk to times square, and 5th avenue, and the best korean food i've ever eaten!!!

The rooms were huge, two queen size beds, clean nice bathroom and a good view of the street :wink:

but anyway, thats for the budget, I don't know anything about SWANKY hotels like these! :wink: :D

Well both times I've been to NY i've been budget conscious

. . . but anyway, thats for the budget, I don't know anything about SWANKY hotels like these! :wink: :D

Neither do I! :wink: The only time I've EVER stayed in a nice hotel is when they were doing previews of the rooms, at low, low discount prices, when the Venetian openend in Las Vegas. And that was years and years and years ago.

But that was a really nice room at the Venetian; mirrors everywhere . . . everywhere. :ohmy: :shifty:

Neither do I! :wink: The only time I've EVER stayed in a nice hotel is when they were doing previews of the rooms, at low, low discount prices, when the Venetian openend in Las Vegas. And that was years and years and years ago.

But that was a really nice room at the Venetian; mirrors everywhere . . . everywhere. :ohmy: :shifty:
:ohmy::hyper::heart:

So my first trip to New York is coming up.

My friend who I'm going with has, as he put it, "certain tastes" and so he gave me a list of hotels. He's offered to shoulder the majority of the bill, but he's leaving it up to me to pick which one.

New Yorkers and those in the New-York-know, help!

Which one should I pick? :scratch: (Keep in mind I've never been to New York before in my life!)

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1408
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1299
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=97500
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1234
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1380
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=97501

All of these are nice hotels. I've stayed in each of these in different cities.

The W has "intimacy kits" in the room. :sexywink:

Since the hotels are all comparable, I'd go with which neighborhood you're most interested in. Times Square is...well, Times Square. The heart of NYC but it wouldn't be my choice. Too noisy.

Union Square is a great downtown neighborhood to explore, easy access to other great neighborhoods.

Chelsea is hip, arty and gay/gay-friendly.

I'd personally go with Chelsea or Union Square. But take your pick--they're all good.

Wow...I'll probably never get to stay in classy hotels like these. I'll echo joyfulgirl's Chelsea suggestion though. I don't really spend much time in Times Square myself...I just don't find it all that appealing. I prefer areas that are a lot less "touristy".

I used to live near Union Square. It has the most amazing Farmer's Market. I miss it. :(

The W has "intimacy kits" in the room. :sexywink:

:ohmy: hahahahah Well, my friend and I are actually just friends and nothing more, so I think those kits would be wasted on us. :wink:

Even though this is in one of the Westin Times Square suites, this all by itself could sway my decision:

wes1380gr.18817_md.jpg

:love: :love: :drool:

That's where Doozer stayed and it was nice; we were at the Marriott - 5th Avenue at 40th Street directly across from Bryant Park and the NY City Library...a very nice location...good luck.

I am a big fan of the Westin Heavenly Bed (almost bought one when we moved into our current residence). With that being said, I think the W locations are better.

I think it comes down to what you guys are going to do in the city. What is the mission of the trip? Is it to be tourists, or going to shows/concerts, etc.

:ohmy: hahahahah Well, my friend and I are actually just friends and nothing more, so I think those kits would be wasted on us. :wink:

Even though this is in one of the Westin Times Square suites, this all by itself could sway my decision:

wes1380gr.18817_md.jpg

omg!! :heart:

i was gonna suggest that one too...never been to new york but its property id on the site is 1234 :reject:

yes i'm a dork :reject:

wes1380gr.18817_md.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:giggle:
that's exactly how I felt when I saw that photo a few months ago in some hotel/travel article!:D

I'll have to check the hotle locations tommorrow since it looks like 2 or 3 more tha the the Times SQ/Chelsa/Union Sq ones mentioned.

CHelsa has some greatshopping places, lots of top art galleries & restaurants!

Union Sq is a great "little" (compared to thre biggies <Central/ Prospect/Inwood/Flushing ) Park.
The Farmer's :heart: Market there is one of the oldest in NYC around 27 years old, and the biggest. From there you can get to The Village/The West Village (south of Chelsa) /The East Village. ANd a quick jump on any of several busues will take you to midtown.

Conversely
you can also bus down from there easily to Soho and the Financial District and to the very end of the Island~~ where you can see Lady Liberty from Battery Park.

If it's beautiful summer weather
-- that is to say 75F - 85ish with LOW {for us} Humdity - 40- 50ish % after 55% you might start to feel it unless you hail from a deserty type of area THEN 40% WILL probably feel humid to you < that's what people in the Arizona High Desert told me how they felt :) )-------------
Do take the Ferry to Staten Island, and back. Near sunset is a beautiful time esp to do that.

Not be confused with Battery City Partk a beautiful stretch of nook & cranny areas in it's southern most part with a nice Quiet Zone- a big square greensward; a stretch of the Hudson River(side) Esplande which leads you to the Big Plaza & Boat North Cove of The World Financial Center.

From there keep going North to the big Rockefeller Park. It has nooks & crannies and big open spaces.

This "tour" is to show you that NYC in not all glass/steel & brick. :D

The Subway is 24 hours 2.00$ one ride all over the system (no zone fares).[
/B] I think a one day "fun pass" is $8. IFyou're staying closer to a week <say 5 days or so>...a 25$ 7-day unlimited pass MAY be worth your while IF you travel alot on Public Transit.
With it you can switch from Subway to Bus <and visa versa>, from one Bus # to another # (local and regular Limited Stops - <there are more costly specialExpress buses - bigger & bulkier> ) for 7 days all you want. :) I love it!

Anyway.............

I'm a native NYC'r. my specialties are in Art & Crafts/ R & R venues ,and some other music as well/Science stuff//a little on sports/ parks, & gardens, and Architecture/ and good food.

So if you have questions I'll be checking back here off & on in the afternoon during most week days. ('m spluurging on Net cfae tonight).

Happy to help you have a great visit.

I am a big fan of the Westin Heavenly Bed (almost bought one when we moved into our current residence). With that being said, I think the W locations are better.

I think it comes down to what you guys are going to do in the city. What is the mission of the trip? Is it to be tourists, or going to shows/concerts, etc.

Thanks, I'll keep the W locales in mind.

The actual purpose of the trip is to go see Underworld and Radiohead at the All Points West festival in Liberty State Park, New Jersey. We get in late at night on Wed., August 6th. Thursday, August 7th, my NY friend and Mike (who's my travel buddy) and I are going to see Bloc Party in NYC at Webster Hall.

Then Friday and Saturday Mike and I are at All Points West basking in Underworld-into-Radiohead glory.

Then Sunday it's back into Manhattan (at one of the aforementioned hotels) to just hang out until Wednesday.

I've never been to New York, so I'm game for whatever. My friend Mike has been about 8 or 9 times, but told me he doesn't mind doing the "touristy" things, if that's what I want to do.

I would like to see Times Square, the Empire State Building and go to a really cool nightclub. Other than that, I'm not really sure.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:giggle:
that's exactly how I felt when I saw that photo a few months ago in some hotel/travel article!:D

I'll have to check the hotle locations tommorrow since it looks like 2 or 3 more tha the the Times SQ/Chelsa/Union Sq ones mentioned.

CHelsa has some greatshopping places, lots of top art galleries & restaurants!

Union Sq is a great "little" (compared to thre biggies <Central/ Prospect/Inwood/Flushing ) Park.
The Farmer's :heart: Market there is one of the oldest in NYC around 27 years old, and the biggest. From there you can get to The Village/The West Village (south of Chelsa) /The East Village. ANd a quick jump on any of several busues will take you to midtown.

Conversely
you can also bus down from there easily to Soho and the Financial District and to the very end of the Island~~ where you can see Lady Liberty from Battery Park.

If it's beautiful summer weather
-- that is to say 75F - 85ish with LOW {for us} Humdity - 40- 50ish % after 55% you might start to feel it unless you hail from a deserty type of area THEN 40% WILL probably feel humid to you < that's what people in the Arizona High Desert told me how they felt :) )-------------
Do take the Ferry to Staten Island, and back. Near sunset is a beautiful time esp to do that.

Not be confused with Battery City Partk a beautiful stretch of nook & cranny areas in it's southern most part with a nice Quiet Zone- a big square greensward; a stretch of the Hudson River(side) Esplande which leads you to the Big Plaza & Boat North Cove of The World Financial Center.

From there keep going North to the big Rockefeller Park. It has nooks & crannies and big open spaces.

This "tour" is to show you that NYC in not all glass/steel & brick. :D

The Subway is 24 hours 2.00$ one ride all over the system (no zone fares).[
/B] I think a one day "fun pass" is $8. IFyou're staying closer to a week <say 5 days or so>...a 25$ 7-day unlimited pass MAY be worth your while IF you travel alot on Public Transit.
With it you can switch from Subway to Bus <and visa versa>, from one Bus # to another # (local and regular Limited Stops - <there are more costly specialExpress buses - bigger & bulkier> ) for 7 days all you want. :) I love it!

Anyway.............

I'm a native NYC'r. my specialties are in Art & Crafts/ R & R venues ,and some other music as well/Science stuff//a little on sports/ parks, & gardens, and Architecture/ and good food.

So if you have questions I'll be checking back here off & on in the afternoon during most week days. ('m spluurging on Net cfae tonight).

Happy to help you have a great visit.

:ohmy: Thank you for all that information!!!! :wink: I do REALLY love dusk/sunsets so that ferry to Staten Island sounds great.

And I am from Orange County, Southern California. So NYC in August will probably feel very humid to me, but I'm expecting and mentally preparing for that.

KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING! THANKS YOU GUYS AND GALS! :D

wes1380gr.18817_md.jpg

:love::drool:

wes1380gr.18817_md.jpg

I've been looking and I just don't get what the pic is - a bath? but why is it blue? it is raised or something.
I did get new contacts today, maybe i'm just missing something! :reject:

they all look lovely though!

I agree with everyone else, Chelsea or Union Square. Its alot quiter and you can get to Times Square in a flash from there. If I am not mistaken I think the Union Square Hotel is right around the corner from the Barnes & Noble and across from the park.:hmm:

All right, so with the resounding chorus of advice, I decided 1st choice - W New York at Union Square, 2nd choice -- Four Points at Chelsea.

Thank you, all! :D

(Now Mike wants me to pick a couple sit-down places to eat at. :uhoh: I sense a new thread. :wink: )

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those hotels. The first time in NYC we actually stayed at one of the Sheratons and we could see a corner of Central Park through the buildings. Everything was great. Last year, we stayed at the Westin, with a view of the Hudson. :up: Being in/near Times Square has its advantages and disadvantages. I think next time, we'll stay in a different area.

You are going to have a blast there no matter what you do. :hyper:

Union Square :heart: It sure has changed since I lived there--it was great then, it's even better now.

19gree600.1.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/fashion/19wheatpack.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

A Harmonic Convergence in Union Square

IN the taxonomy of New York City, the mere mention of a certain neighborhood conjures an image of its local tribe: the Williamsburg hipster. The meatpacking district club-goer. The Park Slope Earth Mama. But whom does Union Square conjure?

People like Amanda Bird, for one. On a recent Wednesday, Ms. Bird was ommming away the city’s distractions at the free weekly yoga class in the park. Afterward she strolled through the Greenmarket, looking for snacks free of trans fats.

Ms. Bird, 25, comes to Union Square from her home in Brooklyn regularly: to work out and to shop at the farmers’ stalls; to see her doctor, who advocates holistic health; and to eat curry supreme at Zen Palate, a favorite vegetarian restaurant.

If she wanted, she could also leave clothing at Union Cleaners in the neighborhood, one of the city’s few organic dry cleaners. Or shop for a reclaimed wood table at Environment Furniture.

If she wanted to apply green thinking to her night life, she could stop by the Village Pourhouse, a pub that recently began using recycled paper products.

Though other areas of the city offer one or a few of these services, Union Square is becoming a one-stop destination for those who consider themselves health-conscious, eco-friendly and deserving of the kind of spiritual and bodily nurturing that in the past was mainly the province of spa vacations. If the meatpacking district is where you go to party, Union Square is where you detoxify.

“We call it the wheatpacking district,” said Lisa Blau, who with Amanda Freeman founded VitalJuiceDaily.com, an e-mail newsletter devoted to healthy living that they publish from an office in the neighborhood.

With its high concentration of popular organic food suppliers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s, plus gyms (a half-dozen major ones in a 10-block radius), yoga and Pilates studios, alternative health practitioners, spas and other peddlers of vitality, Union Square may be the city’s greenest neighborhood.

“This is a new face of new New York: an upscale, health-conscious district,” said Robert Snyder, a professor of journalism and American studies at Rutgers who has written about the history of Union Square, a longtime site of political rallies and of the first Labor Day parade in 1882. But leave your Birkenstocks at home. “It’s not granola,” Ms. Freeman said of the area. “Formerly, if something was environmentally friendly, it was oatmeal-colored and styleless. Because eco-consciousness and the green movement has become popular, it’s risen to appeal to the luxury class.”

^ Nice. :love:

Ok, peeps, now on to matters of the tummy! I'm supposed to come up with a couple choices for nice, sit-down meals. Any suggestions?

Can't help you much there since it's been too long since I left...unless you're vegan/vegetarian, which I was the 15 years I lived there, and I do know of a great veggie restaurant near Union Square Angelica Kitchen

A friend loves Bar Pitti on Ave of the Americas near Bleecker in the West Village. You can read her review here:
Many Happy Returns | Food & Wine

1barpitti.jpg

WHat cuisines do you like........

The places I tend to go to are Indian, Chineese, Greek, Tex-Mex, American/greek dinners & Middle Eastern . I have had some New American cusine BUT NOT Much since it really atarted emerging when I was beginning to go down in salary etc.

I can find out about some good burger joints too.

Alot fo the above have both Meat /Fish & vegitaruian and even (Indian/Tex-Mex in particular) Vegan options.

SO let's hear what you are interested in.

Sounds like a ggrreeeaaatttt R&R in NYC vaction! :hyper: :D`

I'm just on my way to NYC to spend the rest of the summer there (on business), so I'm looking for ideas too! If anyone knows of a good Sunday brunch, I'd love to go there with a friend. I'm also a big fan of East Asian cuisines (Thai/Vietnamese/Laotian/Chinese), so ideas there are good too.

My apartment is in Midtown, so I'll just get a monthly pass on the metro.

My friend Mike is a meat and potatoes kind of guy, so I don't think the veggie cuisine is going to cut it. Though he is flexible. We both like Thai a lot. I like Italian a lot. I like Indian, but I'm not sure how he feels about it. And I love Chinese.

All the above-mentioned fusion kinds of foods, I don't have much experience with them. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom