Would you sell out? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vote or Die
Hellllzzzzzz yeah I would sell out, I Wanna be a rockstar 35 58.33%
FFFFFF No I wouldn't sell out, I wanna stay true to my heart and my music 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Re: If All that.. is selling out, so is Pop

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Selling out to me would be what Metallica did in the 90's where they (at least it looked like that to me, I didn't read any interviews) deliberately changed their looks and softened their sound to get more mainstream.
hmmm sounds like what U2 did after Pop

They softened their sound and went for a more wholesome look.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 AM
U2 were influenced by listening to pop music and I think SATS or IGWSHA hint at the "softer" sound.

I don't think the "casual rock star" look they had is selling out. Besides they have a different look for each album/tour.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Re: If All that.. is selling out, so is Pop

Quote:

Selling out to me would be what Metallica did in the 90's where they (at least it looked like that to me, I didn't read any interviews) deliberately changed their looks and softened their sound to get more mainstream.
A lot of die hard metal heads would probably agree with you(and in fact did say that about the black album), to me I thought it was a great evolution, probably the best album they've done.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:43 PM
I could sell out, make all the millions and stadium concerts... and after having it all. do what I really want...

I already have a fan base... so I'm a genius
Old 05-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
U2 were influenced by listening to pop music and I think SATS or IGWSHA hint at the "softer" sound.

I don't think the "casual rock star" look they had is selling out. Besides they have a different look for each album/tour.
Maybe Metallica was influenced by pop music as well?

I don't see how you can say Metallica cleaning up their image and making more radio friendly songs is selling out, while U2 cleaning up their image and making more radio friendly songs isn't selling out.

Kinda seems like they did the same thing to me. And they each were very successful doing it, so was probably a good idea for both.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

I can't believe this thread turned into a U2 selling out argument, I mean that type of talk never happens here

I'm surprised no one has a go at Bono for saying he can't stand listening to their first three albums, I'm pretty sure he thought it sounded good back down but how dare they ever change their opinions, that's totally selling-out!

ATYCLB was one of U2's most experimental albums, when did they do anything like it before? Oh I'm sorry experimental here, is when U2 do something different that you like. I mean doing something different and doing a duet with Mary J. Blige isn't experimental it's selling-out.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess we can move this to EYKIW now
Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Maybe Metallica was influenced by pop music as well?

I don't see how you can say Metallica cleaning up their image and making more radio friendly songs is selling out, while U2 cleaning up their image and making more radio friendly songs isn't selling out.

Kinda seems like they did the same thing to me. And they each were very successful doing it, so was probably a good idea for both.
Like I said, I don't know the interviews or quotes from Metallica in that time. (and as was said, the black album is regarded as one of their best so...) I do remember James Hetfield saying once on TV a fan spat at him on the street when they made a video for MTV and said "you sold out". So I can imagine fans rolling their eyes at the 1991 Metallica - and afterwards sound and look.
If that was honestly what they felt like doing and not a scheme to sell more, though, would that make any difference to the fans that consider that selling out?

I'm saying U2 was listening to pop music and this entered their music, just like dance music entered their sound in the 90s. Just like blues and American music entered their sound on JT and Rattle and Hum. They do care about the critics' opinion (and the "biggest band in the world" ego is involved) so that might have been an extra nudge to make AB after Rattle and Hum backlash and making ATYCLB after Pop backlash, but it was not the basic reason, I think. There was a quote from Howie B stripping down the effects on the Popmart soundchecks and saying that the sound got bigger as he removed any of the loops and such.

They always had an image to suit the music, and they started paying more attention to that with JT, and moreso after - and including - AB. Shades, leather, boots - it's basic rock star wear.

You think there weren't people saying "they only care about the masses now, they sold out" when JT came out? A much more accessible album than the previous 4 U2 albums.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor

the second you take money for your craft, you've sold out.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the second you take money for your craft, you've sold out.
Then I'm in absolutely no danger of ever selling out with my music 'cause it absolutely sucks.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #86
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
say you were in a nobody band, not making much money at all, but playing the music you wrote and loved, and one night after playing a small crappy bar a record exec bigwig came up to you and said, "we love your image but hate your music, i'm putting together a boyband that the record company is gonna market the hell out of, youll be rich and famous instead of playing these small crappy bars..."

would ya do it?
the prospect of being in a boyband leaves me feeling rather curious.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

I'd sell out to begin with, earn a few millions to keep me comfortable, then start fucking with my fans' heads by recording 20 minute epics. Just because I can.

And really, do we HAVE to talk about U2 in B&C?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
And really, do we HAVE to talk about U2 in B&C?
I started it. I'll finish it.

Really, Headache is right. The moment you start taking money for your work, you've sold out. So what U2 did in 2000 wasn't really selling out. I don't know what to call it but bad mouthing their own POP album and changing the songs didn't sit well with me. People seem to look at ATYCLB in different ways. Some think it is more radio friendly than POP and therefore made to sell more copies. Some think it's a new direction. Whatever.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

whatevs.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

NOT!