Would you sell out? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vote or Die
Hellllzzzzzz yeah I would sell out, I Wanna be a rockstar 35 58.33%
FFFFFF No I wouldn't sell out, I wanna stay true to my heart and my music 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:07 PM
I don't see the big deal of using your song in a commercial and getting paid for it. What's the big deal??? It's still your song. And now it's actually reaching more ears thru the medium of television!

I do see the big deal in getting embarrassed about your own work in the past (example: U2 POP) and changing songs in order to please others (Best Of) and sell more. THAT to me is selling out.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I do see the big deal in getting embarrassed about your own work in the past (example: U2 POP) and changing songs in order to please others (Best Of) and sell more. THAT to me is selling out.
That makes absolutely no sense. How is that selling out? They always felt that album was rushed and incomplete. Artist are often embarassed, or at least judge their own work differently in hindsight. That's why so many artist change up their songs live as years go on. Lots of bands rerecord certain songs in their library years down the line. It's not like they knew people would come out in droves to buy yet another version of Numb.

Just because you liked the original version better doesn't make this a case of selling out. Now if they rerecorded the whole album acoustically, i.e. Bon Jovi, or live i.e. Depeche Mode you may have a different argument. Putting slightly changed versions on a best of, whereas that may be a questionable move, it's not a "selling out" move.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
They always felt that album was rushed and incomplete.
I think this is where the difference of opinion is. From what I've heard, they did not feel that way when the album was released... only after it failed to sell as many copies as they wished. And suddenly instead of defending it, they apologized for it. How pathetic. That to me, is a classic example of selling out to public tastes and not being true to one's own artistic direction.

There is even a youtube video out there (interview from 1997) where they're defending the album, saying people don't seem to understand it. "It's not a techno album, Larry plays drums on Mofo, you know!". People still didn't get it. So they went and said Okay fuck this. If all you people want is cookie cutter stuff, that's what we will do! Out came plain jane vanilla ATYCLB.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
If all you people want is cookie cutter stuff, that's what we will do! Out came plain jane vanilla ATYCLB.

...and so the true u2 fans went and said Okay fuck ya, zoots.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
...and so the true u2 fans went and said Okay fuck ya, zoots.
Haha gimme a break. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are nothing but a pale shadow of their former greatness!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Haha gimme a break. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are nothing but a pale shadow of their former greatness!
dude, you've sold out.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

dude, you've sold out.
Wrong. I haven't changed my opinion recently because somebody else felt so. I've always felt that the last 2 albums are mediocre compared to Boy thru Pop. And I'm sticking with it cos I like to stay true to myself.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I remember them talking deadlines and being rushed since the get go, but they also defended the album, as they should.

But there were quotes that Larry was saying now let's actually make a pop album rather than just calling it pop, since it's release as well.

I think the rest of what you are saying is heavy speculation, I never found it useful to speculate on why artist took this direction or that. Either enjoy it or don't, but don't waste your time trying to speculate what took them there.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

If All that.. is selling out, so is Pop

Quote:

They always felt that album was rushed and incomplete.
Selling out to me would be what Metallica did in the 90's where they (at least it looked like that to me, I didn't read any interviews) deliberately changed their looks and softened their sound to get more mainstream.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think the rest of what you are saying is heavy speculation, I never found it useful to speculate on why artist took this direction or that. Either enjoy it or don't, but don't waste your time trying to speculate what took them there.
I agree that some of what I'm saying could very well be speculation since none of us have proof of anything. Actually even if there is documented evidence of the band saying something (like U2 by U2 or some interview on youtube) there is still no proof. The band could be lying, saying one thing in public and thinking differently. Who knows! But it just makes me mad that it seems they have gone back on their own opinions. First they loved and defended Pop. Now they ignore it. Come to think of it, I don't mind ATYCLB & HTDAAB as much as it may seem so from my comments. Sometimes I really enjoy listening to several of the songs on those albums. But the way they seemed to have changed their opinion so drastically on POP (not to mention the totally botched up 90s Best Of) puts a damper on my enjoyment of post 2000 material. I can't help it.

(I boldfaced "seems" cos it's all speculation anyway)
Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

they loved and defended pop when pop came out and they needed to hype it.

never believe what an artist say at the time of release of some new material. it's their job to say that it's incredible.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
never believe what an artist say at the time of release of some new material. it's their job to say that it's incredible.
This is true!

Maybe my opinion coincides so much with what Bono felt about POP in 1997 that I'm letting it create a bias.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well my opinion is they honestly felt they didn't finish, I mean it's obvious to me listening to the album and the fact that they changed up or dropped songs so much during Pop shows me they just weren't sure what they were doing. I think one of the reasons for such long studio times recently.

And I think their "apparant" ignoring of Pop, is due more to them not knowing how to fit it in the rest of their library. I mean they played Pop song on this last tour. I think the only place they didn't show up was 18, which really I couldn't give 2 shits about, but honestly couldn't picture Disco, which I think was their only "hit" off that album, fitting in with the rest of their hits.

I mean up to this point, people could have argued they "ignored" Boy, but then all of a sudden they embrace it. They definately ignore October. So I think it's obvious the bias fans have when they focus on the "ignoring of Pop".
Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

This is true!

Maybe my opinion coincides so much with what Bono felt about POP in 1997 that I'm letting it create a bias.
think about it...

bono went from almost calling pop their best ever in 1997

...to heavily implying that it's a crap album ("two crap albums and you're out!").
Old 05-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

They should be out by now, then.

Sorry it was too tempting!