Worst Movie Accents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
From CNN...

Worst Film Accents

LONDON, England -- Oscar winner Sean Connery has been named the actor with the worst film accent of all time in a UK magazine poll.

Movie experts gave his attempt to play an Irish cop in the 1987 film "The Untouchables" -- which hardly concealed his strong Scottish burr -- top place in the poll by Empire movie magazine.

POLL: WORST FILM ACCENTS
1. Sean Connery, "The Untouchables" (1987)
2. Dick Van Dyke, "Mary Poppins" (1964)
3. Brad Pitt, "Seven Years In Tibet" (1997)
4. Charlton Heston, "Touch of Evil" (1958)
5. Heather Graham, "From Hell" (2001)
6. Keanu Reeves, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (1992)
7. Julia Roberts, "Mary Reilly" (1996)
8. Laurence Olivier, "The Jazz Singer" (1980)
9. Peter Postlewaite, "The Usual Suspects" (1995)
10. Meryl Streep, "Out of Africa" (1985)
-- Source: Empire Magazine

Other than this list, who do you guys think have done horrible accents in film?

dammit, i should read before i post. i was gonna nominate mr. pitt, but he was well and squarely on the list. lol. :huh:

Last edited:
Sean Connery in Hunt For Red October should be on that list too. Maybe they just didnt want to put him on there twice.

His Russian is attrocious.

3. yes.

The movie title was quite fitting.

Shat Up! I said Shat Up.

Oh Mr. Pitt, what will we do with you. Space Monkey.

Don't worry...my childhood was just fine.

I used to dig in the dirt for worms so that I could build them homes in my sandbox. Afterwards, I would pop tar bubbles on the highway with pointy rocks, and sometimes the boy next door would tease me with dead snakes.

What was this thread about again?

Ben Affleck in Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back.

That man needs a 12 step program.

Arnold in every english speaking role he's had.

Nicole Kidman in all of her roles as an American.

My God this thread is bitchy! :ohmy:

I don't think Meryl Streep's accent was bad in 'Out of Africa' , nor was Winona Ryder's accent in 'Bram Stoker's Dracula', though Keanu Reeves' accent was quite terrible in that one.

The worst accent though, goes to Kevin Costner's 'Robin Hood', with Patrick Stewart's cack-handed American accent in 'Conspiracy Theory'. Oh, and don't get me started on Ian McKellen's weirdo accent in the X-Men movies. An actor of his callibre has no excuse.

Ant.

Everyone's accent in "Enemy at the Gates."

A Texan Nazi and a bunch of British Russians. :rolleyes:

Johnny Depp in "Chocolat"--great Irish accent, but why the hell is his name Roux?

Well, I have seen 8 of the 10.

I would reccomend :

The Usual Suspects

and

Touch of Evil

bad accents and all.

ToE is a great movie for it's era.

The dope feinds are funny.

Has anyone seen XXX (yeah it sucks - this is my point.)

Why is it that all the actors who were supposed to be Czech had bad fake Russian accents? What you couldn't do a bad fake Czech accent? We Czech girls get testy on this point.

I would like to say yes as well to the Halle Berry in "X-men" and Kevin Costner in "RHPOT."

I like that they both gave up trying half way through though.

Last edited:
Take any B Grade actor and require an accent and you will have trouble. See Ben Asslick, Keanu Reeves and Kevin Costner. As for types like Nicole Kidman, it's not surprising. Since she has spent so much time over in America she's in the middle of her accent transplant and generally talks in a terrible combination of the 2 anyway. She has neither accent really and it shows in her movies.
Argh. Keanu Reeves is such a woeful actor he can barely speak in his natural American accent let alone anything else.

Back
Top Bottom