World Series: Marlinx VS. Yankees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon Meringue

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I can't say I'm real excited about this.

What about the rest of you?

Whose going to win?

Whose going to watch?

Now that the "curses" remain alive, and Cubs and Red Sox are again waiting for "next year", lets concentrate on the winners, hope the Yankees win...again, but I think it won't be easy.

:down:

not watching it. i'd love to have someone tell me when it's all over that the marlins pounded the shit out of the yankees, but i'm afraid that won't happen...

and i couldn't care less about the marlins.

Sadly for baseball, this World Series will be totally anti-climactic after the 2 LCS we just had.
My head says Yank-Me's in 5.
My heart says Marlins.
Go Mike Lowell.

watched 5 games with Oakland and got a sweet emotion

remember : " and HE strikes him out !!! " , and i became a red sox fan .

, then watched 7 games against the %^&*%^ yankees and had a heart attack , watching the red sox is like shocking therapy

hello , btw

5 outs away ........
:| :| :wave:

ummm yeah...

maybe bud selig's right... maybe they should contract teams... 'cause the florida marlins have a damn good team filled with young talent... and no one seems to care because it's not a "marque" team. :scratch: strange... people don't wanna see the yankees because they're sick of watching the same damn team win every year, yet they don't wanna watch the fresh young marlins because they don't know anyone on the team... seems like a bit of a contradiction to me :shrug:

or maybe it's just a hangover from two of the greatest LCS' there have ever been i dunno... i'm still watching... game 3 has quite the pitching matchup lined up

Last edited:
i agree hizeadache

i can understand why nobody wanted to see the yankees in the world series, they are always in it

but the marlins are a fresh, young team that play a damn exciting brand of baseball

its also a david vs goliath type of matchup and youd think a lot of people would be excited and support the marlins to bring down the evil empire, but people are pretty indifferent to it

kind of confuses me as well

oh well, i will enjoy it as well

I think because so many people were hoping for a Cubs/Red Sox Series (or in my case Twins/Cubs) that watching the Yankees again is just a letdown. I have nothing against the Marlins and if they were playing against another team I might be more interested. Sorry Yanks fans, but most of us are tired your team...it's nice for you, but not anyone else.

Meanwhile, I've got hockey tickets for tonight. Woo Hoo.

:up::up::up:

Lovable Cubs and Red Sox fans? Fool says good riddance

Betting Fool, SF Gate
Tuesday, October 21, 2003
?2003 SF Gate

http://sfgate.com/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2003/10/21/fool247.DTL

What is so lovable about being a loser? The best thing about the World Series is not David Wells' gelatinous gut or Miguel Cabrera's fuzzy cheeks. It's that Red Sox and Cubs fans have nothing to look forward to: no more choking, no more whining, no more losing, no more baseball.

I kept hearing that the country wanted a Red Sox-Cubs World Series because those long-suffering fans would finally feel joy. Oh, and so the preppy pinheads at ESPN could continue their BoSox-fueled wet dreams. The entire nation, said the media, was behind the Cubs.

Nobody cares about long-suffering Giants fans, or short-suffering A's fans or Arizona Cardinals fans or SMU football fans. Atlanta Hawks fans? All 16 of them are routinely ignored.

Cubs fans? Losers all. You're not cute, you're not fun and you're mostly pathetic. Have another Heineken at some overcrowded pickup bar.

The way they attacked the people who dared touch a baseball coming down in their seats showed staggering ignorance. Every one of them would have done the same thing. That play didn't cost the Cubs anything.

The Cubs -- and Dusty Baker -- cost the Cubs everything.

The "lovable" Cubs were up 3-2 with their two best pitchers going at home against a grim collection of Marlin mediocrity in Carl Pavano and Mark Redman. They gagged like the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Hey, Dusty, that series of line drives coming off the bats of the slap-hitting Marlins? Yeah, that's about nine in a row, might wanna go get Kerry Wood.

Hey, Smilin' Sammy, now that the world has forgiven you for cheating (how does he get off the hook so fast?) -- you can go back to Fraudville and stare at yourself in the mirror.

Hey, Cubs bellpen, here's a match to go with that 5-gallon container of gasoline and that portable flame thrower.

As for the Red Sox fans, I got a full dose of them in Oakland during the playoffs. They are the most intelligent fans in all of baseball, just ask them. They can break down a first-and-third situation -- and all the possible ways to defense it -- better than any Boston manager.

They are also bullies and pompous gasbags and are -- for the most part -- incapable of winning with grace.

Of course the nation wanted to see the Red Sox in the World Series. Baseball fans everywhere could have planned their lives rather easily as Boston would have been swept, choking and gagging and complaining all the way to the end.

Is there a bigger jackass in sports than Pedro Martinez? I think not. Given a 4-0 lead and the weight of the entire Boston sports scene (the most important sports scene in the history of the world no doubt) Pedro crumbled like a year-old cookie. Pedro's evil twin? Roger Clemens.

Lovable Cubs and Red Sox fans? I say screw 'em and good riddance.

Very pleasent and upbeat writer. :rolleyes:

Got home from the hockey game to see the game still on TV and tied in the 7th inning. Looks like it's gonna be the Yankees. :|

i hope everyone who doesn't want to watch this series is happy... they only missed one of the greatest world series games of all time last night... 12 innings... hall of fame pitcher making his last start ever, and pitching well (the first inning aside)... a young pitcher, pavano, stepping up... and a walk off homerun. you can't get much better than that.

Lemon Meringue said:
I can't say I'm real excited about this.

What about the rest of you?

Whose going to win?

Whose going to watch?

I have one word for this....BORING....no three words... BORING AS HELL!

I don't care who wins as long as the yankees get pounded into the dirt!

Wouldnt' watch if you paid me:madspit:

yeah a 12 inning game ending with a walk-off homer... real boring. i dunno about the rest of you, but i'm not just a fan of my team... the mets... who suck... but i'm a fan of the game of baseball. and this has been some damn good baseball. so again, i'll continue to watch. and for those who don't want to watch because of the teams playing, i feel sorry for your inability to appreciate good baseball no matter who's on the field.

Last edited:
if you cant recognize that game (and the whole series) as good baseball, then i feel sorry for you

Oh alright, I'll watch a damn game. I caught 10 minutes of game 2 and was as bored as I thought I would be. But since y'all are so sure that this is a great series, I'll give it another go.

Good baseball, yeah.....lets see beating up grouds crew members.....umm..........old man running across field to punch out starting pitcher....yeah thats great baseball.....

um, that happened in the last series which supposedly contained "great baseball" and was so exciting

those things havent happened in the world series, so bascially you just made an argument that the world series has had better baseball because it hasnt included bullpen fights or old man fighting

The Cubs -- and Dusty Baker -- cost the Cubs everything.

...Hey, Dusty, that series of line drives coming off the bats of the slap-hitting Marlins? Yeah, that's about nine in a row, might wanna go get Kerry Wood.

Dusty managed the Cubs to their first division win in 14 years. Dusty is one of the better managers in baseball. He led the Giants to 2 division wins and one World Series in his 10 years there, along with 5 other second place finishes including 1993 when the Giants won 103 games. Not too shabby.

pub crawler said:

Dusty managed the Cubs to their first division win in 14 years. Dusty is one of the better managers in baseball. He led the Giants to 2 division wins and one World Series in his 10 years there, along with 5 other second place finishes including 1993 when the Giants won 103 games. Not too shabby.

and dusty has been part of 2 of the most monumental collapses in playoff history the past 2 years

those slap hitting marlins are 2 wins away from a world series championship... they came back on the phillies when no one thought they would... they beat the giants when no one thought they would... they came back from down 3-1 to beat the cubs when NO one thought they would... maybe eventually people will start giving them some credit for being a pretty damn good team

especially once they switched managers they had the best record in baseball for the last 4 months

so yes, for the last 4 months of the season they played better than the braves, giants, cubs, red sox, and yes even the yankees

so i dont really see why they should be such a huge underdog, theyve played better than everybody else

Back
Top Bottom