World Figure Skating Championships

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I have never posted a figure skating competition thread here but it's the sports forum, so there. There was a little concern that there might be some distraction from skating as the World Figure Skating Championships began in Washington D.C. but fortunately all events have gone as planned and there haven't been problems related to world events. Evgeni Plushenko, from St. Petersburg, Russia, the Olympic silver medalist in Salt Lake City, won the men's championship despite a knee injury. U.S. skater Timothy Goebel, the Olympic bronze medalist, won the silver, and Takeshi Honda of Japan won the bronze. Xue Shen a nd Hongbo Zhao, from China, won the pairs championship for a second straight year. Shen didn't seem to be too distracted by an injection to kill pain in her right ankle as she might have been. She's a gutsy girl! The Russians Totmianina and Marinin won the silver, as they did last year, and another Russian pair Petrova and Tikhonov won the bronze. The final phases of the ice dance and ladies' competition will be held Saturday.
Go skaters!! May the best win!

Hmmm I heard that the short program for Ladies would be televised Saturday night but the free program is next week.

I though Zhen and Chao (sp) were amazing in an otherwise putrid pairs competition. They were incredicbly inspiring!

Mens Free: We'll the Beak wasn't at the top of his game but probably deserved to win due to the absence of Alexei Yagudin from the competition. I thought Timothy Goebel did a good job, although I am wayy over his An American in Paris number. Michael "Wuss" Weiss just can't stay off his butt. I think he should retire from competition and join Champions on Ice.

I missed the men's final-I couldn't stay awake :eek:

Go Michelle! :heart:

Sasha Cohen is a great skater, but perhaps she could use an attitude adjustment :| Just my worthless opinion :)

No, I think Sasha could probably use an attitude adjustment. I don't know, I think her attitude helps her win, but it can also make her screw up. She's so talented. She's also only 18. Plushenko was good. I think Weiss should turn professional, too. I'm looking forward to the ice dance competition. The Canadians won! Wow! The Bulgarians won the bronze! They're very happy. My VCR is ready to go for the U.S. broadcast tonight!

The Wanderer said:
figure skating is not a sport it's a sitcom

I've heard skating competitions compared to alot of things but I'm not sure a sitcom is one of them. Alot of people do think they are mostly show biz, and perhaps so. When some people are demonstrating against alleged political judging--there was a protest held in Washington D.C. to protest poitical judging (and not the war in Iraq) yesterday--I start to wonder why it's really considered "competition". I got e-mails publicizing the protest by e-mail from a friend in the U.K. yesterday. I'm just glad the French fans who came to watch the skating had a good time and didn't have any negative experiences considering the recent disputes between the French and the U.S. governments. This year the judging at the competition didn't really seem politically motivated compared to last year. Last year there was a really ugly controversy. Thank God there wasn't one this year.

Last edited:
okay i'm done watching the long program.

Michelle did a great job! what a true athlete and professional :)
I'm so sick of Sasha Cohen. How can she say she was happy with that performance? She fell out of a freakin' flying camel? Who does that??????

I'm glad that Siguri got the bronze. Even tho I think Cohen has great potential, she never pulls it off. Her performance at Worlds shows that Grand Prix final was a fluke.

Oktobergirl-I am quite impressed that you used to be a skater.I always dreamed of doing it, but I'm sure I never would have been talented and athletic enough.

Anyone who says skating isn't a sport should first master all of the spins and jumps, then combine that w/ the required concentration and artistry..then I'll respect their opinion :p

I think perhaps Sasha gets a bit overconfident and loses her concentration

Michelle :heart: She just AMAZES me...

1048996692.2751856680.jpg

capt.1048998301.world_championships_xpch101.jpg

capt.1048998863.world_championships_xpch120.jpg

oktobergirl said:
okay i'm done watching the long program.

Michelle did a great job! what a true athlete and professional :)
I'm so sick of Sasha Cohen. How can she say she was happy with that performance? She fell out of a freakin' flying camel? Who does that??????

I'm glad that Siguri got the bronze. Even tho I think Cohen has great potential, she never pulls it off. Her performance at Worlds shows that Grand Prix final was a fluke.

Wow. You used to be a skater? Can I touch you??:laugh: :laugh: Yes, that's a sport. You have to do the elements or you can't win. Michelle was great. Sasha is talented but she can't get her act together not to make stupid mistakes. I'm irked that the U.S. ice dance broadcast left out the bronze medalists, Albena Denkova and Maxim Stavyiksi of Bulgaria. :madspit: :mad: :censored:

Congratulations Michelle! :up:

1049059225.2819072034.jpg

I was so happy she won.

Does anybody know what happened to Irina Slutzkaya?

About the attitude thing, I don't think age is any excuse. Last night, the Italian skater kept messing up, and the announcer would always say 'she's only 16' as an excuse. Well, Sarah Hughes was 16 when she won the gold medal at last year's Olympics, and Tara Lipinski was 15 when she won it in '98. Age is not the reason, if a person screws up, it's them personally. But I do wish the Italian girl and Sasha luck in the future. Maybe they were just nervous.

Ice dancing: the ONE time I think the Russians were much better than Bourne and Kraatz and it was the one time they beat them. I really think it was a consolation victory from the judges for all the times they screwed them over in the past (like the 1998 Olympics) because they were retiring. No, I will not get into the judging thing, I could rant all night about the things I've seen :rant:

*cries because she has had NO access to TV to see the championships*

ah well, I have been keeping up with them in the newspaper and was glad to hear of Michelle's win. Did I hear correctly that Bourne and Kraatz won???? It's about time, eh?

I hope somebody taped the whole thing so when I get back to the States in a month I can bug em to trade for it. :sexywink:

:heart: skating.

Sula,

Unfortunately, I did not tape it. But Bourne and Kraatz did win. They beat the Russian team! It's about time I say, I really did think they were better, altho many on Skate Web say that it was a sympathy vote.

Hopefully you will find a tape of it out there!

haha, great to see a sport end with the champion winning on a sympathy vote :hug:

maybe the Boston Red Sox or Chicago Cubs should switch to figure skating!

The Wanderer said:
haha, great to see a sport end with the champion winning on a sympathy vote :hug:

maybe the Boston Red Sox or Chicago Cubs should switch to figure skating!

You know, just because the judging system is far from perfect, doesn't mean figure skating isn't a sport. It might not be one in the same way baseball is, but these people are incredible athletes and they deserve to be respected as such.

And are there really so few threads that actually interest you that you have to spend your time disparaging this one? :rolleyes:

it's a sitcom off the ice too, remember the french judge that got suspended, what a wacko. couldnt come up with a better character than her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom