World Cup: USA Gets a 2nd round birth - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:47 PM
World Cup: USA Gets a 2nd round birth

but one thinks you americans wont give a damn in the world because you dont give a rats about the 'world game'

now im mad why portugal had to miss out because the way the americans played tonight as well

i mean the US beat a super team like portugal in their first group game, yet the american press probably put that story 10 pages from the back of their local newspaper because theres heaps of NBA trade rumours, golfing tournaments, the stanley cup finals, the nfl on what coaches should and shouldnt have done at certain points in the game, etc etc..

yet you make fun of soccer because theres no scoring, the players dont get injured seriously enough and often enough, etc.. etc... i mean that simpsons episode which involved homer buying a gun to protect his family was such an obvious indirect swipe at soccer

and then theres the movie snatch with denis farina's statement about england saying : you know England? soccer, bad weather, bad food? mary f**kin poppins?

anyway its a shame that 3 contenders Argentina, Portugal and France have failed to qualify for the 2nd round

Old 06-14-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:47 AM
we could have an ITALY even if CROATIA had done their JOB in their last game ..so ITALY were very very lucky to go through

Old 06-14-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Re: World Cup: USA Gets a 2nd round birth

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver
but one thinks you americans wont give a damn in the world because you dont give a rats about the 'world game'

now im mad why portugal had to miss out because the way the americans played tonight as well

i mean the US beat a super team like portugal in their first group game, yet the american press probably put that story 10 pages from the back of their local newspaper because theres heaps of NBA trade rumours, golfing tournaments, the stanley cup finals, the nfl on what coaches should and shouldnt have done at certain points in the game, etc etc..

yet you make fun of soccer because theres no scoring, the players dont get injured seriously enough and often enough, etc.. etc... i mean that simpsons episode which involved homer buying a gun to protect his family was such an obvious indirect swipe at soccer
CCD, Don't believe everything you see in the American media. The upset win over Portugal was actually big news here, and made the front page. It was also big news when the US advanced to the second round, as I heard them say it on the radio immediately afterwards. People here are following the World Cup, especially since the Portugal game. People in America need something to get them interested in soccer, and our team's success is doing that right now.

Soccer is actually very popular on college (university) campuses. There are several intramural leagues at my university, and many of us try to follow the European leagues. MLS, while not in the popularity range of other sports, still manages to draw an average of about 16,000 fans per game.

I don't know how you can say we didn't "deserve" to advance. Sure we played poorly against Poland, and were lucky to escape with a tie against Korea, but we earned our points, and we are advancing. Sorry that you're not happy about that, but that's the way it is.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:47 AM
it is a very dangerous proposition to assume things. what you assume someone, somewhere will actually know and will tell you so.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:47 AM

duuuude, take a chill pill.

honestly!

If our guys beat Portugal then they damn well deserve to be where they are. Just because soccer is not the all-consuming national obsession over here doesn't mean it's not important or that our team who works, trains, and plays hard doesn't "deserve" to be where they are. They've earned it.

Old 06-14-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

USA has the best goalkeeper in the tournament
Old 06-14-2002, 02:47 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, two of the four teams in our group have to advance. It's kind of a zero-sum game that way.

So the US only put together two good halves (first half against Portugal and first half against South Korea). At least we didn't lose 4-0 (like Poland did) or get two guys ejected in a must-win game (like Portugal did).
Old 06-14-2002, 02:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver

We in the United States are fortunate to have a wealth of athletic opportunities. Nothing wrong with that.

IMHO, it wasn't a particularly clever satire. But that's the way the Simpsons have been for the past four seasons.

Personally, I like the fact that scores are so rare that one goal completely changes the complexion of a match. I don't like the fact that it's possible for players to take a dive in order to gain a huge advantage for their team (by getting a free or penalty kick or getting an opponent ejected).

anyway its a shame that 3 contenders Argentina, Portugal and France have failed to qualify for the 2nd round

This might be totally off base, but I'll venture to say that American athletes and sports fans are more results-oriented (ends) than process-oriented (means). NFL coach Bill Parcells was fond of saying that a 5-11 team that loses six games by a total of nine points deserves to be a 5-11 team because they were no good in close games.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:20 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

but there is nothing like soccer
Old 06-14-2002, 03:27 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 07:47 AM
America got more points than Portugal, as well as beating them. What is there to complain about?
Old 06-14-2002, 03:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

u cant lose games to USA and KOREA and then expect to win the world cup..do u ?..USA are the well deserved 2nd round team
Old 06-14-2002, 04:11 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
u cant lose games to USA and KOREA and then expect to win the world cup..do u ?..USA are the well deserved 2nd round team
My thoughts precisely...USA earned its position in the group. Portugal cannot blame anyone.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

yeah follower..brasil are doing quite well but the only thing that worries me for brazil is that their defence is not so strong..they have the habit of conceding goal..they follow - if u score 2 i will score 5 policy...might prove dangerous for them in knockout stages..but with ARG, FRA out they have the best chance......

the worst thing is that england and brasil will have to clash in quarter final assuming both wins their matches...the england winning is not so sure also
Old 06-14-2002, 05:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Acrobat Man,

Your concerns about our defense line are my concerns as well..better saying, our concerns, this entire nation is aware of that. No one is so tough with Brasilian team than us Brasilians. And frankly, I don't think we can get things completely solved in that area anymore. But I think some improvement is on its way, as far as I know our coach Felipão has done a good job experimenting other players like Polga and Edmilson (odd enough, his goal against Costa Rica was something...).

As for our teams meeting anytime in the next matches...it will be tough , maybe more like a battle...still a good spectacle, for sure.

DÁ-LHE BRASIL!

Old 06-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #15
War Child

[/QUOTE]

Boo Hoo, they should have played better...

I love the smell of anti-American drivel in the morning