World Cup of Hockey, 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Training camp is already under way. Mario Lemieux has been named team captain by you know who :sexywink: I have a feeling Mario will totally dominate and put everyone else to shame. I think Canada are still the favourites. Thoughts?

Ladies and men?

I do hope that will be 2 more gold medals for the Netherlands.

*didn't see Canada competing though*

:D

That's "World Cup", not Olympics, boys!

Besides, field hockey doesn't count. :wink:

(When I was in India, I found it amusing that I'd have to specify "ice" for hockey, where as here in Canada I have to specify "field" for hockey when talking about the "other" hockey....ah, the tapestry of world cultures.)

Michael Griffiths said:
That's "World Cup", not Olympics, boys!
of course we're talking about the world cup
otherwise I would have predicted germany vs the netherlands instead of australia vs. the netherlands

I'm fairly sure hockey was being played before some drunk students decided that they could also play that game on ice :p

my favourites for the ice ( :D ) hockey world cup:
Canada

Ah, I stand corrected. You do have a point - field hockey did come first. But really, they are two different sports altogether. They have about as much in common as football (and that's soccer to my fellow N. Americans) has with field hockey.

On a side note, why is it that American football is called "football" at all? It's mostly played with the hands, not the feet! I'm with the rest of the wold on this one - soccer to me is football.

Last edited:
I predict that this World Cup will be a stellar flop in the ratings, seeing as the Olympics will be just ended.

Either way I hope canada wins. :wink:

I think all of Canada will watch the World Cup with lots of interest to take our minds of the PATHETIC performance we're putting in at the olympics. I agree with Griffiths, Mario (the greatest pure god-given talent in hockey ever) will dominate.

Michael Griffiths said:
Not the best player ever though.

Let's rock.

Oh how I've missed this.

I'm disappointed that there have been so many dropouts for the Russian squad. If they had Khabibulin, Federov, and a good portion of their star talent, the tournament would be much more interesting.

Personally I would find it incredibly boring if Canada won this year, even though the Americans did embarrass the team 8 years back. In my opinion the loss of size on defence and the slightly diluted skill will cost Canada the trophy, and the Americans or Finland will take the prize. With Kiprusoff, the Koivu brothers, the Ruutu brothers, and Selanne, I think the Fins have the potential to do it (and they have placed decently at the olympics the past few times). Apparently nhl.com did a story on their team today, so if you think I'm stark-raving mad check things out from a less embittered source.

Go Suomi.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
If clever was the intention, you clearly missed.

My patience is wayning.

GET IT!!!

LMAOJHF*HQ@#

Last edited:
you guys kill me (in a ill-literate sense - LOOK I am as punny as grif mcgrifferton) :D

USA Today had a full page spread yesterday on the World Cup. They quoted some Canadian (experts, I guess), mentioned 1996 and how it was lost on Americans (the general public) and alluded to the pending strike.

I may head to St. Paul to see at least one of the games (maybe the semis).

you could say they... czeched out!

hahahahahahahaha.

You're right inner monologue, that wasn't funny at all.

:down:

When will teams learn that dedicatory Mustard is not a colour to be worn in competition.

:down:

It's called heritage.

For all those Winnipeg Falcon fans out there.

You got a problem with the peg?

Those jerseys were ass-ugly.

Good game tonight for Canada though! :up: Guaranteed 1st in the NA division as long as Russia doesn't obliterate every team it plays (not likely knowing how Russia's been playing in international tournaments lately).

w00t.

Back
Top Bottom