World Cup Draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UltraVioletMofo

The Fly
I was just curious if theres other people especially in the states that even care this is taking place today?

I've been counting down the days to see who my boys will be facing in the group stages. But damn if I've found anyone within a 100 mile radius of Orlando that even cares. Well except for the occasional brittish tourist I bump into.

Its really sad that a country this large with the talent we have ( regardless of the credit they dont get internationally) doesnt generate a strong sense of partiotism like the olympics do.

I took the entire month off in 98 to catch all the games I could and in 02 I changed my sleeping habits so that I could be awake to watch games live instead of tape delay. Then I'd go into work and there was like 1 person out of 25000 that even knew it was going on.

:huh:

Hey canada's fine with me. I'm just glad other people know this is taking place.

why you would want a tough draw for england?
I'd love to see the US and England in a group together. I think would be a good game or a murdering depending if the US was in Awe mode at the time.

theres so many good teams this time around. I'm just hoping the US gets a chance to spank mexico 1 more time in world cup match.
(No offense to Mexico its just fun to beat your rival)

I'm in the US, waiting for the draw

I could care less about the US though, my eyes are on England :rockon:

i will say one thing about the us manager though... :coocoo:

here's a quote of his earlier...

when asked about:

Americans are 1-7-2 under Arena in games played in Europe...

"Who cares? It doesn't mean anything," Arena said. "We lost to some good teams in Europe. I don't think the 'in Europe' is an issue. It's still neutral (ground) regardless, with the exception of Germany."

if he truly thinks this he is in for a mighty shock when they play a european team

Yeah just dont get ahead of yourself and look past us. Your likely to wind up like Portugal.

I think hes saying that trying to keep the confidence thing up you know?

Last edited:
woo more people that care. I wish there was a place locally I could go and drink and enjoy the draw with people. instead its me driving my wife nuts with news and tidbits I find on the net.

She will become a fan of the game.. oh yes she will

UltraVioletMofo said:
Yeah just dont get ahead of yourself and look past us. Your likely to wind up like Portugal.

I think hes saying that trying to keep the confidence thing up you know?

1 thing though...you'ld never beat portugal in europe

I would love the US in Englands group :up: we beat you in may in chicago y'know and you had home crowd advantage

keeping confidence is one thing but if he actually believes that he's dead wrong

the rockin edge said:

1 thing though...you'ld never beat portugal in europe

I would love the US in Englands group :up: we beat you in may in chicago y'know and you had home crowd advantage

keeping confidence is one thing but if he actually believes that he's dead wrong

we never have home crowd advantage in the states:wink:

I watched the game in may. I was hoping for a better showing from the US but it takes me back to the " in awe mode" comment I made earlier.

UltraVioletMofo said:

we never have home crowd advantage in the states:wink:

I watched the game in may. I was hoping for a better showing from the US but it takes me back to the " in awe mode" comment I made earlier.

the england team that beat you then was a reserve team too, only 3 regular starters.

if we play in germany we'll beat you, "awe mode" or not :wink:

I actually hope we do end up in the same group. Hey Northern Ireland beat ya. So your not indestructable. If the football gods pulled another fast one and the yanks got the win, could you imagine how quick sven would be shown the door?

I dont really think the US will win in a match against the two but I do believe it would be a good game and one I would really like to see because I like both teams.

BTW I didnt mean to make this a talking smack thread but its fun none the less. Its the first time in a long time I've even gotten to discuss football with anyone.
So smack away smack away. :laugh:

The US doesn't get cheered anywhere. I don't think playing in Germany is going to bother them much.

speedracer said:
The US doesn't get cheered anywhere. I don't think playing in Germany is going to bother them much.

Yeah its odd. salt lake city looked like the only pro US crowd outside of Columbus. Too bad both cities dont compete with a Mexico City or other large venues across the globe.

about the funniest thing I think I saw looking back on the past year was the game with Chelsea and DC United in DC. I never would of imagined it would of been that pro Chelsea. It was a see of blue. Poor Freddy Adu finally got out there and tried too hard to show Jose he could play and looked every bit of 15 or 16 whatever he was at the time.

UltraVioletMofo said:
Hey canada's fine with me. I'm just glad other people know this is taking place.

why you would want a tough draw for england?
I'd love to see the US and England in a group together. I think would be a good game or a murdering depending if the US was in Awe mode at the time.

theres so many good teams this time around. I'm just hoping the US gets a chance to spank mexico 1 more time in world cup match.
(No offense to Mexico its just fun to beat your rival)

Ericksson said the 3 countries he doesn`t want to face are the US, Australia and of course Holland.

Ideally he`d like Angola, Switzerland...

Go ENGLAND!!!

UltraVioletMofo said:
woo more people that care. I wish there was a place locally I could go and drink and enjoy the draw with people. instead its me driving my wife nuts with news and tidbits I find on the net.

She will become a fan of the game.. oh yes she will

You can all listen here if you want to hear people who know what they`re talking about (i.e. don`t listen to the US site previously posted, hahaha!) :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4512232.stm

the rockin edge said:

i hope we play the US...def not holland

why is he scared of australia :tsk:

Because there`s an intense rivalry - Australia always wants to kick England`s butt - apparently this rivalry became evident when Ericksson witnessed the cricketing matches between the two.

Ericksson organized a friendly between Australia and England and Australia won :shocked:

He also said the reason he doesn`t want to play the US or Australia is because English-speaking countries have this thing about having to beat England, not because the US is necessarily better than the likes of Portugal for instance.

Last edited:
ladywithspinninghead said:

Because there`s an intense rivalry - Australia always wants to kick England`s butt - apparently this rivalry became evident when Ericksson witnessed the cricketing matches between the two.

Ericksson organized a friendly between Australia and England and Australia won :shocked:
they won cause he changed the entire team at half-time:wink: rivalry or not we'd beat them in a world cup

ladywithspinninghead said:

He also said the reason he doesn`t want to play the US nor Australia is because English-speaking countries have this thing about having to beat England, not because the US is necessarily better than the likes of Portugal for instance.

:shrug: maybe, but even if they do those games wouldn't be as hard as playing holland, portugal, czechs

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

haha, I just fear the site would be similar to an ABC broadcast of a hockey game where they have to explain every single thing because most Americans aren`t as familiar with hockey as they are with baseball, american football, basketball.
I fear it would be even more of a problem with soccer/footie!

Back
Top Bottom