World Cup Draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we got a great group (C)... Four teams with good offensive qualities that also want to play in a more offensive way.
It's probably the toughest group , but we're capable of defeating all of them. Besides, we have to beat everyone anyway if we want to become World Champion.

PS: Why are the Germans always so damn lucky? :mad: :mad: :mad:

My group picks:

A
Germany
Ecuador

B
Sweden
England

C
Netherlands
Argentina

D
Mexico
Portugal

E
Italy
Czech Republic

F
Brazil
Australia

G
France
Korea Republic

H
Spain
Tunisia

yertle-the-turtle said:
Sweden > Paraguay > Trinidad.

I think we can all agree on that.

Now is Sweden better than England? They must be, considering how England can never seem to beat them.

england ranked 9th...sweden 14th

england seeded 2nd...sweden not seeded

the last competitive match between the 2 was 1-1 at the last world cup, a game in which england did not play well and yet still drew.

sweden are a very good side, I'm not arguing that. but to say they're better than england based on the current teams/form/rankings is silly.

i remember a few years ago man utd could never seem to beat wimbledon, we won the league & countless cups but couldn't beat them, does that mean wimbledon were a better team? no, the england vs sweden result is simply a hoodoo that will eventually end.

My guesses:

Group A
Poland (Very underrated side, great to watch)
Germany

Group B
Heart says
England
Sweden
Head says
Sweden
England
However if Ibrahimovic gets injured then I do think England will win the group.

Group C
Holland
Argentina (Only just might be Serbia, Argentina aren't actually that good but no one seems to have noticed)

Group D
For the betting folk I reckon that the Golden Boot winner plays for one of these two:
Mexico (Also a good outside bet to go all the way)
Portugal

Group E
Italy
USA

Group F
Brazil
Difficult to call as I could see any of them qualifying but I'm going for Croatia

Group G
Switzerland
France

Group H
Spain
Ukraine

Once the group stage is over it's a massive advantage to be in the top half of the draw. I think providing something intervenes to prevent Sven and Becks going to Germany that England could win it.

Some bold predictions there, tarquin!

I agree with you about Argentina but do you really expect the USA to go through ahead of the Czechs?

Anyway, my only prediction will be that South Korea do badly. They had a fantastic time last time out and all credit for that but since then they've been playing very poorly in the regional competitions we have here. That said, we haven't been playing that well either, so if we play like we did in the Asian Cup (which we won thanks to a handball goal) we're more or less screwed, but I have a bit of confidence...

yertle-the-turtle said:
Some bold predictions there, tarquin!

I agree with you about Argentina but do you really expect the USA to go through ahead of the Czechs?

Anyway, my only prediction will be that South Korea do badly. They had a fantastic time last time out and all credit for that but since then they've been playing very poorly in the regional competitions we have here. That said, we haven't been playing that well either, so if we play like we did in the Asian Cup (which we won thanks to a handball goal) we're more or less screwed, but I have a bit of confidence...

Cheers, it's very easy just to 'tip' the top two ranked teams in the group and I like to avoid that. I wasn't quite bold enough to say Serbia would qualify at the expense of Argentina but I think it's a possibility. They only conceded one goal in qualifying and finished ahead of Spain, they are not to be underestimated.
I don't think the Czechs are as good as they were, the side was built around Nedved and whilst I'm a huge fan I think he's a little past his prime. I think the US might surprise a few people, they're a good team.

Serbia goes to the second fase for sure.Of course that is patriotic and optimistic because Argentina IS that good and Dutch are superior. Should Serbia fail I'll be with England all way to the final

For those that don't want to watch the World Cup/have no time to watch it next summer... :

2nd round:

Germany (X) - England
Netherlands (X) - Portugal
Italy (X) - Australia
France - Tunisia (X)
Sweden (X) - Ecuador
Mexico (X) - Argentina
Brazil (X) - Czech Republic
Spain (X) - Korea Republic

Quarter Finals:

Germany - Netherlands (X)
Italy (X) - Tunisia
Sweden - Mexico (X)
Brazil (X) - Spain

Semi Finals:

Netherlands (X) - Italy
Mexico - Brazil (X)

Final:

Netherlands (X) - Brazil

...just remember these are no biased predictions but future facts! :wink:

anitram said:
I will eat my laptop if Trinidad and Australia make it. Never gonna happen.

Australia barely made it in, they're only in the WC because of penalties to begin with. They can't beat Japan and they definitely can't beat Croatia and may lose 5-0 to Brazil. Worst team in their group.

FUCK OFF

i'm sick of people saying that Australia are shit ... we've got more European based players than the USA at GOOD clubs in competitive leagues ... we're going to end up playing more international games than most teams because of the Asian Cup plus organised friendlys (maybe against England lol) ... The USA is the most over-rated team in the world cup ... i will admit we have a lack of depth at the back but the two games against Uruaguay our defense was stronger than an Australia teams been in a long time ... we're not going to be as easy as your all predicting

My predictions were here, but they're useless.

So:

Team I hope wins everything: Japan
Team I know will win: Brazil
Team I secretly hope wins: Holland
Player of tournament: Ronaldinho
Young player: Messi (depending on the Argentinians, who I have doubts about)
Top scorer: Keeeezmaaan!

Last edited:
DignityPassesBy said:

FUCK OFF

i'm sick of people saying that Australia are shit ... we've got more European based players than the USA at GOOD clubs in competitive leagues ... we're going to end up playing more international games than most teams because of the Asian Cup plus organised friendlys (maybe against England lol) ... The USA is the most over-rated team in the world cup ... i will admit we have a lack of depth at the back but the two games against Uruaguay our defense was stronger than an Australia teams been in a long time ... we're not going to be as easy as your all predicting

WTF why attack the USA because Europe gives you no love?
I love it when all else fails blame the US.

Back
Top Bottom