World Cup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
Worls Cup!

Viva Mexico !!!

Mexico vs Croatia, ok it will be hard for us, but I have hopes.

*lights candles*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Attachments

• mexico_fl_md_clr.gif
    mexico_fl_md_clr.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
*looks at herself*

Okay, seems like I'm the only one who like Croatia a bit more...

*runs back to her room*

:p

Mexico did well I think in the first half, Croatia maybe started better but then Mexico came into it more and the Croats really had no answer. They also missed a golden opportunity to score, but I think they'll win :)

What an auspicious moment, to wander in here in the middle of the game and find...THIS!!! wow!
Another nice sporting national anthem moment before a game, enthusiastic crowd.
Go Luna:) Go Mexico!!

dot shot he delivers woohoo
work out how to edit this later
congrats raf:D

Last edited:
A good and well-deserved win for Mexico, really always had the game under control after they scored, though had one late scare in the last few minutes.

Get our first glimpse of Brazil, and Italy (yay!) soon :)

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO

1-0!!!!!!!!!

HOW SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Go easy on the tequila now Rafifa :)

And again, congrats to all the mexicans around here!

L

Damn

Congratulations mexico!!! you beat us to our knees.
I can't remember the last time we played soooo badly and awfully...

now we have to try against Italy and than equador.
Once again Mexico, congratulations, but I will not wish you luck, we need it :tongue:

bye the way - anyone knows what happened with posts and threads that were here yesterday evening in "Elvis ate america". I need to see one thread... help please

Well not a bad day's play, good wins for Mexico, Brazil and Italy (yipee!)...
The first red card was dished out today, and 2 more followed in the Brazil - Turkey game, have to say I thought the ref was a bit harsh, I was really disappointed in Rivaldo's behaviour, why do great players feel the need to do this? I really hope FIFA take some action against hi, but I doubt it somehow. But the ref really shouldve just ended the game when he gave the corner I felt, Brazil had the game won, I think the sensible thing to do wouldve been to end it there and then.
I didnt think Brazil were great tbh, they played in fits and starts, with some flashes of flair, but for me, they played in quite a European style, getting the ball wide, getting crosses in, packing the midfield with tough agressive players, rather than working the ball into the box with neat intricate passing as we've come to expect from them.
Good to see Italy get off to a winning start, although they didnt always dominate the game they played well within themselves in my opinion, and created enough chances to score more, Vieri was a little wasteful (I know he scored 2 though!) and Ecuador defended quite well and their keeper did a good job too.
As ever the question mark is on Italy's midfield, its strange how this always seems to be the case, for so long they just havent produced truly brilliant midfielders, especially attacking midfielders like say, Argentina have, though with players like Totti to make the link from the midfield to out and out strikers, they wont be complaining. I really hope Italy can do it this time, they were so unlucky in Euro 2000, I see Argentina as their main rivals this time round.

Finally, a rather unappetising fixture list for tomorrow:
China -V- Costa Rica
Japan -V- Belgium
South Korea -V- Poland
Think I might stay in bed! Not really in the spirit of the world cup I suppose...
Don't know an awful lot about most of these teams, but I predict a draw in the first and Belgium and Poland to win.

Sweet dreams, raf... BTW, your lemon makes me feel dizzy... :huh:

I'm going to watch the last game for me in 13 days 15 mins later.

*finger crossed*

Go China!! :mac:

...well, At least I can dream, right?? Hehe :D :p

I wish I could watch these games live, but they come on so early!

At least I have my highlights at the end of the day.

Oh no... We lose 0-2 to Costa Rica... :(

But that's okay, we were playing okay considered that this is our first match in the World Cup finals!!!!

Go China!!! :heart:

Well today's play saw the first matches involving the 2 co-hosts, and they didnt acquit themselves badly at all.
The first game China - Costa Rica finished 0-2 (I watched the goals as I thought I might catch up on some sleep, the RTE presenter said it all after showing the goals: "if you taped this match, tape over it, trust me, you've just seen the best of it")

Japan didnt show too much promise in a poor 1st half, but 0-0 at half-time, the match saw 4 goals in the 2nd half, with some entertaining play, excellent goals, and less than great defending. But not a bad start for Japan, at least gave their fans something to cheer about.

South Korea fared even better, dominating Poland in a very entertaining game, and winning 2-0, though they could have scored 5. A truly special atmosphere in the stadium packed to the rafters with Korean supporters, a sea of red, thousands of S. Korea fans wearing their county's colours and smiling, cheering, so this is what the World Cup is about :)
Well done to South Korea :)

Tomorrow:
Russia v Tunisia
Portugal beat USA ;)
and of course Germany v Ireland (I'm bloody terrified, I dont mind telling you, dont feel too well already)
Mick McCarthy has announced the team wont train at the stadium beforehand as its a 2.5hr round trip from the camp. Fair Enough!
Come on Ireland!!!

Thank you for the update Mani :)
Sorry Christiana, I needed something U2ish ;)
About today games, I guess this colours give a hint, sorry Mani :mac:

Last edited:
thanks, we might just need it...
You never know though, no-one even gave us a chance against Cameroon, and we very nearly won it, seems its the same again...

"Achtung Iren, Ihr seid als n?chste dran!" -BZ

so, in Mick McCarthy's immortal words, "Thats settled then, there's no point in us turning up."

Anyway speculation is only that, if Ireland play for 90mins like they did for 45 on Saturday they can take something from this game. The German strikers arent as quick as the Cameroons are. But we know this is no easy game.

If we lose this its going to be very difficult, we'll need Germany to beat Cameroon too, and we'll need to truly thrash Saudi German-style.

Oh well, we can hope!!!

Back
Top Bottom