World Cup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: We beat Italy!!!

Marko said:
At last!!! My Croatia pride is restored, and in what a way!!!!
we've beaten Italy 2:1
what an overhad kick for the second goal - my god!!!

GO CROATIA!!!!!![/COLOR]
[/B]

Worst refeering of the World Cup so far, Unvelievable!

Bloody english village ref ( according to Vieri)

Re: Re: We beat Italy!!!

rafmed said:

Worst refeering of the World Cup so far, Unvelievable!

Bloody english village ref ( according to Vieri)

yes the refeere made a mistake when he calle offside in the 50th minuta, and the second one was for foul, and it was a goo call

but WE WERE MUCH BETTER!!!!! we kicked their arses....

ofcourse, luck is always wellcomed. Now we only have Equador to beat

The linesman (sorry, assistant referee) gave the call... and he is Danish.

So it should be bloody Danish assistant referee.

And as for Denilson... does he not know what a pass is?!

bullet the blue sky said:
The linesman (sorry, assistant referee) gave the call... and he is Danish.

So it should be bloody Danish assistant referee.

And as for Denilson... does he not know what a pass is?!

you are right. Graham Pool was pro-Italian when you look at fouls, free kicks and such. He was obviously biased towards Italy.
Danish lines-man, on the other hand had some, as it seems:evil: , sympathi for Croatia taday...:mac:

Great game.
Men with :heart:
What next?

Attachments

• full-moon.luna.jpg
    full-moon.luna.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 62
ME XI CO !!!

OLE! OLE! OLE!

ME XI CO !!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

depmunmexsoli23611460.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Mexico! To think I was almost getting worried for a second.. But dang that was a beautiful goal from Borgetti. And Torrado rocked, hard. :) :) :)

mocool12 said:
Congrats Mexico! To think I was almost getting worried for a second.. But dang that was a beautiful goal from Borgetti. And Torrado rocked, hard. :) :) :)

You still should be worried about the second round for Mexico!!!
It's still not over - Croatia will beat Equador, and in that case Mexico has to win or draw against Italy which is hard.
If Italy beats Mexico by two goal difference or/and if Croatia beats Equador with 2 goal difference than Mexico is out...

Ofcourse it would be the best for Mexico to beat Italy! That way Croatia can draw with Equador and still go to the second round:yes:

Congrats Mexico & raf, I really wanted both Italy and Mexico to go through, though this doesnt seem the most likely option anymore.
I have nothing against Croatia, but they should NOT have won that match, Italy scored 2 perfectly good goals that were disallowed, so if they dont go through I will have very little confidence in the prospect of this being a fair world cup.
Most of the big upsets so far in this World Cup I think have been because of poor performances from the big teams, but this time, I think its obvious the officials were at fault. Generally apart from this the refereeing has been quite good, although kind of inconsistent in the sendings off, and with diving, sometimes they are rewarded with a yellow card and sometimes a free kick, it seems ridiculous.
Have to turn my attentions from Italy to Ireland now and tomorrow's big matches. Saudi have basically said they are gonna shut up shop and getb 11 men behind the ball at all opportunities, so Ireland will have another job on their hands to break down another defence. Come on boys :)

cloudimani said:
Congrats Mexico & raf, I really wanted both Italy and Mexico to go through, though this doesnt seem the most likely option anymore.
I have nothing against Croatia, but they should NOT have won that match, Italy scored 2 perfectly good goals that were disallowed, so if they dont go through I will have very little confidence in the prospect of this being a fair world cup.
Most of the big upsets so far in this World Cup I think have been because of poor performances from the big teams, but this time, I think its obvious the officials were at fault. Generally apart from this the refereeing has been quite good, although kind of inconsistent in the sendings off, and with diving, sometimes they are rewarded with a yellow card and sometimes a free kick, it seems ridiculous.

You could be right, but as I see it we (that's Croatia) played better than Italy.
Graham Poll was puling and cheering for italy the whole time, fortunately the linesman had some sympathy for Croatia.
In the past Croatia was screwed up by referees too many times for me to care if we won only by ourselves or if some regular goal was dissalowed. That's football, and this is the FIRT TIME that this kind of refereeing goes Croatia's way. We were always "small country" and big nations always had the sympathy from the referees - so in a strange way this victory gives me musch more pleasure than it normaly would... No excuses, no apologies... at last a happy football day for me

Since no one's talking about the US team, I guess I'll start.

They were pretty darned lucky to salvage the 1-1 tie with South Korea--South Korea had a ridiculous 19-5 shot advantage or so. Brad Friedel was huge (literally--he's at least 6'4", or almost 2 metres in height) but South Korea had a lot of excellent chances to score.

I was somewhat amused by the fact that South Korea was playing more physically than the US (posting up, grabbing shirts, holding, etc). It didn't help them win too many balls in the air, though--Eddie Pope got most of those.

As strange as it sounds for a team that gives up 19 shots, I thought the US defenders were excellent (except for Jeff Agoos, who surrendered a penalty kick and let a guy slip behind him for a header and the tying goal).

The US forwards were working pretty hard, but usually either Brian McBride or Clint Mathis would have the ball deep in South Korea's field, and they wouldn't get any support.

The US midfield did very little in this game (although John O'Brien slipped Mathis a nice pass for the US goal). They did not maintain possession of the ball the way they swore they would.

speedracer said:
Since no one's talking about the US team, I guess I'll start.

They were pretty darned lucky to salvage the 1-1 tie with South Korea--South Korea had a ridiculous 19-5 shot advantage or so. Brad Friedel was huge (literally--he's at least 6'4", or almost 2 metres in height) but South Korea had a lot of excellent chances to score.

I was somewhat amused by the fact that South Korea was playing more physically than the US (posting up, grabbing shirts, holding, etc). It didn't help them win too many balls in the air, though--Eddie Pope got most of those.

As strange as it sounds for a team that gives up 19 shots, I thought the US defenders were excellent (except for Jeff Agoos, who surrendered a penalty kick and let a guy slip behind him for a header and the tying goal).

The US forwards were working pretty hard, but usually either Brian McBride or Clint Mathis would have the ball deep in South Korea's field, and they wouldn't get any support.

The US midfield did very little in this game (although John O'Brien slipped Mathis a nice pass for the US goal). They did not maintain possession of the ball the way they swore they would.

I will talk a little bit about U.S. team.
In the first game I was cheering for Portugal, I realy WANTED them to win. So basicaly I was cheering for U.S. to lose more that for Portugal to win b/c I'm always against U.S. in football (i can't explain why, probably b/c of low popularity of football in the U.S.... I don't know)
But when I saw them play and when they got 2 goal advantage I was like: "... don't let them cath you now...". And I was on the edge of my seat for the last 20 minutes of that match. They were raly playing good and they were giving 100% which I apritiate very much
Now they were lucky today, and now they have a good chance to go through to the 2nd round (I know that it's not popular for Host-nation to not go through but...)
Portugal has awoken from their dream and today they showed why they are concidered to be one of the biggest favorites in this tournament. So Korea should perform some magic to beat or draw against Portugal, while U.S has ral chance to eat Poland and go through...
You were lucky to meet unprepared and dazed Portugal in the first match - but luck follows the brave

another thought on the why is soccer so popular question.
Something I notice and like , at the local junior level I associate with the word soccer. is that quite a percentage of the teams are made up of girls.They are equally valued and accepted. Several of our Bears girls have played at a school state level, they were runners-up in the grand final. They kick.......soccer ball, accurately!!
Just another positive thing about the game imho.
I'm off to soccer training now, in the cold dry wind, you've got to love it..or them. The Bears wear red and black, like Spain. On my little TV it will look like a Bear's game tonight. I miss our senior team this year, we didn't get enough players signed on. So the World Cup 2002 has helped rekindle the fun.
GO Mexico
Go Brasil
Go #9 &#11
...he may not be my boy, but I love him like a son ...:)

Agora s? faltam 4...

For my friend cass, I present you your boy ;)

1544273922.jpg

Brazil's Ronaldo celebrates his first goal against Costa Rica during their World Cup Finals match in Suwon June 13, 2002. REUTERS/Desmond Boylan

And these two ones are for me :D

1544249356.jpg

Brazil's team pose near their flag during the playing of the national anthems before their World Cup Finals match against Costa Rica in Suwon June 13, 2002. REUTERS/Desmond Boylan

1275813895.jpg

Brazil's team pose before their World Cup Finals match against Costa Rica in Suwon June 13, 2002. Top row (L-R): Gilberto Silva, Anderson Polga, Lucio, Edmilson, Marcos and Cafu. Bottom row (L-R): Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Junior, Juninho and Edilson. REUTERS/Desmond Boylan

Couldn?t find a picture of Edmilson?s goal...what a goal!
Yeah, I?m happy now that some improvement has been shown :)

Last edited:
well gee follower, funny about that. I had the urge to do same thing. CONGRATULATIONS!!! and ty.
They replayed his goal from a great angle and at length when the keeper was down injured tonight. I sure wish I had taped it. The joyous smile afterwards:)
Some great football tonight. I like headers and I just saw two brilliant ones, one from a Coasta Rican player whose name escapes me and one from Borgetti. Congrats raf.

PS: tanya, I tried to put a smilie face on the moon pic(luna) but I just couldn't get it happening this late at night :_}

PSS: I meant on Sunday for Spain...go everybody!!!

PSSS:heart::D :heart::D

Attachments

• ronaldokiss.jpg
    ronaldokiss.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Re: Agora s? faltam 4...

follower said:
Couldn?t find a picture of Edmilson?s goal...what a goal!
Yeah, I?m happy now that some improvement has been shown :)
Freakin ay that was gorgeous. yay Brazil!

And yeeeeaah Mexico! And if I wanted anyone to advance w/ them, I'm glad it's Italy. :D

FORZA AZZURRI!!!

ok they werent great but they did enough and they shouldve had 6 points already, grrr @ linesman.
I'm glad Mexico topped the group though, they deserved it. :)

Back
Top Bottom