World 5, U.S. 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafmed

Refugee
World 5, U.S. 1
By JOSH DUBOW
AP Sports Writer
July 8, 2002

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Jose Reyes credits some of the lessons he learned from New York Mets shortstop Rey Ordonez for his minor league success. ADVERTISEMENT

Reyes showed he's close to being ready to take Ordonez's job.

Reyes, one of the Mets' top prospects, hit a bases-loaded triple Sunday to lead the World team to a 5-1 victory over the United States in the All-Star Futures game.

``If they give me a chance, I will do the job,'' the 19-year-old Reyes said through an interpreter after winning the Larry Doby Award as MVP of the game.

While the Mets headed into the All-Star break in fourth place in the NL East with a record below .500, Reyes is rocketing through the organization.

He hit .307 last year in his first full season in pro ball. This season, Reyes became one of the few 19-year-olds ever to play in the Eastern League.

He's hitting .324 with seven steals in 16 games for Binghamton and has come through in front of a big crowd in a major league stadium.

``I'm working hard day-to-day right now and just finding ways to keep making myself better and the rest will work itself out,'' Reyes said. ``I can't worry about what's going to happen in the future.''

Reyes impressed the Mets during a stint in major league camp this spring and his defense has been compared to Ordonez, a Gold Glover. Reyes said spending the spring with Ordonez and Roberto Alomar was very helpful.

``They taught me patience,'' Reyes said. ``Patience is very important, especially at the plate.''

Dave Concepcion's World team scored five runs in the third inning off Colorado prospect Aaron Cook.

Wily Mo Pena was hit by a pitch to start the inning and went to third on Angel Berroa's hit-and-run single. After a walk to Andres Torres loaded the bases, Reyes hit a line drive into the gap in right-center.

Reyes sped all the way to third as all three runners scored on the play. Victor Martinez and Justin Morneau added RBI singles in the inning.

Toronto's Orlando Hudson had an RBI double in the bottom half against Gerardo Garcia for Paul Molitor's U.S. team.

Los Angeles Dodgers prospect Ricardo Rodriguez pitched one hitless inning for the win. Franklyn German, traded from Oakland to Detroit this week, struck out two in a hitless inning for the World team.

``I need to keep working hard, but I think now I have a better chance,'' German said about his future following the trade.

Nine World pitchers held the U.S. team to three hits in the seven-inning game.

``We had a great pitching staff, all throwing over 90,'' Concepcion said. ``They have a future, for sure.''

There are more than 50 Futures Game alumni from the first three years of the game who have made it to the majors, including five who will play in Tuesday night's main event -- Lance Berkman of Houston, Mark Buehrle of the Chicago White Sox, Adam Dunn of Cincinnati, Alfonso Soriano of the New York Yankees and Barry Zito of Oakland.

``It's neat to see guys like Adam Dunn from the Futures game to the big league game in one year,'' said Chicago White Sox outfielder Joe Borchard, who showed off the strong arm he used to play quarterback at Stanford to throw out Morneau trying to go from first to third base on a single in the third inning.

The World team had two outstanding defensive plays also. Starting pitcher John Stephens of Baltimore caught Carl Crawford's line drive back to the box to start an inning-ending double play in the first, and Florida third baseman Miguel Cabrera made a diving stop to rob Marlon Byrd of a hit in the third.

I have no intention to create any controversy, just to get some attention for the upcoming All Star Game :)

Last edited:
the All-Star Game? I forgot they still play that, what a waste of time

it would be interesting if you could have Pedro Martinez vs. Randy Johnson or Curt Schilling, and if the players actually took the game seriously

That's kinda cool. The game is becoming more and more global everyday.

Why do Europeans think that only Americans play baseball? We don't think that only British people play cricket. Baseball is an Olympic sport, and I'm glad that its so popular in other countries.

Hey, I don't think that only Americans play baseball, but except, the US, Canada, Japan, Korea and the Carribean it just isn't really popular in the rest of the world. Considering that the Netherlands and Italy are by far the strongest European teams (if I'm right we were the first ones ever to beat Cuba on the Olympics) and baseball is one of the smaller sports around here (#10 sport or even less).

Back
Top Bottom