Working is a waste of youth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I know a lot of you love your work, and I am so jealous! I just think it's a huge waste of youth. We should be out there enjoying life and seeing the world while we are young and healthy and not spending more than half our time on this earth stuck doing stuff we don't want to do!!!!

I don't know what it is lately, but I am really bitter about working (can you tell?). I can barely drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Motivation = 0.

I know I am lucky to have a job. I know I am in a noble field. But I'm sick of wishing I were somewhere else. But I am totally stuck and can't afford to start over, and even if I did, whose to say it would be any better?

frown.gif

Mrs Edge I hate my work!

I want to move to LA and dress the celebs properly *hears the boos from Pub Crawler and a few others* - I have a wee talent in knowing what pple suit, so they NEED to hire me, and NOW!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Feck I hate livin here and hate this job, Im frozen in it..............I need plucked out and rescued........anyone willing like...........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I like to do more physical tings than mental......

Well now. I'm 17 and in high school -- and half the girls I know have jobs. And I'm like WTF are you people DOING.

This is probably a bit different than the age group to which you refer, Mrs. Edge, but

1. I barely have enough time to finish my homework. How do these people work?

2. When I DO finish what I have to do, I like to relax. SCHOOL is my job. I do that for hours on end....and then I deserve a break.

3. The girls I know that DO have jobs-- they all chose it. I mean these are rich kids. So it's not like they're doing it to help pay the rent or anything. They all want cars. Which they all already have...but I'm not bitter. Well, I am. But that's for another day.

4. The girls that work-- they complain about it. Why do something if you don't want to? I mean, I do heavy duty babysitting in the summer and make $$$$$. But that's far different from working a low-paying crap job that you hate during the school year when there's other things to do.

I know it's different for older ppl....but still. I've never had a real job. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:

But I am totally stuck and can't afford to start over, and even if I did, whose to say it would be any better?
frown.gif

I can relate. And I don't have the answers, either. But life's pretty cool, anyway.

Maddie: I sure as hell ain't booin'. I think you have ENORMOUS potential for whatever you do because you have a creative gift. Keep your chin up, sister.

You haven't Mona! Enjoy it while you can!!

Maddie, I know just how you feel. This commiseration definitely helps.

My school requires seniors to do this 3week internship thing. I HAVE NO FECKIN CLUE WHERE TO WORK.

One of my teachers was like "well what do you like to do?"

MONA: Em.....I don't know.

TEACHER: What do you want to do....career wise?

MONA: I either want to be YOU or Bruce Springsteen.

TEACHER: So...you want to teach?

MONA: No....just be you.

TEACHER: Oh....who's Bruce-- what?

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

Oh Pub, its very difficult, not easy when there are no exit doors to ur front, sides or rear...............
frown.gif

I used to look and go, 'Damn, shed suit.....blah blah' - its all in the head wanting out Pubbie....
frown.gif

take Angelina Jolie for instance..........I would say she would DEF suit long tailoured black trousers..black boots (slightly fine at the front)...and a red top with one full sleeve.....or even the outfit Cameron wore at the nightclub with 'Pete' in Chalies Angels, - her hair down, and dark and pinned back by two clips, her eyes glowing and with little make-up on - but of course, yes thats silly, and you would have to wait 2 days plus have a mud wrestle with Angie before she'd wear anyting not black or not gothic, but hey, Im game to challenge that girl!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

LMAO Pubbie!!!!!

well tanks for what ye said, but noone is gonna recognise it.........know what Im saying son?

frown.gif

blaaaaaaargh Im stuck for the rest of me liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!

stuck in a shitty coloured cold reception near smelly poo loos done by men, in a shitty city in shitty weather surrounded by shit, with stinky river shit coming round the shitty air into the place and my work shit is SHITE!!!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!

there, feel better now.

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 02-18-2002).]

Y'all will think I'm so weird, but right now is the first time in about seven years that I haven't had a job (I'm at uni) and I hate it! I'm so bored although I tend to get bored within thirty seconds of having nothing to do. And I have no money! I need a job! And some money! And relief from boredom!

so was
I know a lot of you love your work, and I am so jealous! I just think it's a huge waste of youth. We should be out there enjoying life and seeing the world while we are young and healthy and not spending more than half our time on this earth stuck doing stuff we don't want to do!!!!

I totally agree! That's probably why I didn't get a job until I was 17...most people my age have worked 2 years by then...

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

<--- still hasn't found what she's looking for...

Maddie, howsabout you and me goin into the "dressing people" bidness together??? I'll move my arse over there...
wink.gif

Okay, I USED to hate my job...then I got laid off. Now I have a job I love, BUT...it's still not REALLY what I love to do (which is....well, it definitely ain't hardware! Not sure what 'zactly).

But the only problem with work ruining our *coughnotme* young lives, is that everything COSTS MONEY. And THAT'S the part that sucks. I'd love to travel around the world, and do *anything* other than work, but how do you do that???

So anyone who isn't working yet, and you have parents who can foot the bill...DON'T RUSH, because once you get there, that's it!

Originally posted by mad1:
Mrs Edge I hate my work!

I want to move to LA and dress the celebs properly *hears the boos from Pub Crawler and a few others* - I have a wee talent in knowing what pple suit, so they NEED to hire me, and NOW!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Feck I hate livin here and hate this job, Im frozen in it..............I need plucked out and rescued........anyone willing like...........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I like to do more physical tings than mental......

I like my job, but then again, I only work 4 hours a nite. As a matter of fact I'm at work right now and look what I'm doing. I know what you mean about wasting your life away working tho, Mrs. Edge. There are people that work here, that are on salary, that work 12 hours a day. For what? I mean if you have to to survive that's one thing, but these guys don't even have to. For some strange reason they want to. Life is short enuf, why waste it working more than living....
Fizzing, I know what you mean about not working also. I was out of work for about 8 mos. once and it drove me mad..I was just fortunate to get this job and work the hours I want. I can also connect from my computer at home and work from home if I need to also.

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 02-18-2002).]

The girls I know that DO have jobs-- they all chose it. I mean these are rich kids. So it's not like they're doing it to help pay the rent or anything. They all want cars. Which they all already have...but I'm not bitter. Well, I am. But that's for another day.

Lucky girls. Some of us were daughters of single mothers in high school, and HAD to work.
smile.gif
And, come to think of it, are now in college and STILL have to work.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I'm only 19, and I've been working since I was 15 (I had baby-sitting jobs before that, but my first job at an actual business was when I was 15).

I wish I would have worked more...and saved more of the money I earned...I blew too much money in high school. I sure could use some of it now for college.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Ya know what, WildHonee, enjoy your time not working. When I was in high school, that was my job, my #1 priority. Sure I missed out on doing things with money, but my school career was much more important than money(to me). So I know where you're coming from.
I'm in a job, that was meant to be a "summer job", yeah right, going on three years later.
I don't know what to do anymore.
Why don't we all start a business and work from home?

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:

I'm in a job, that was meant to be a "summer job", yeah right, going on three years later.

That sounds familiar. I had a great summer job about three years ago...which turned into *Fizz, we really need someone to work Monday mornings* and then *Fizz, you don't have college on Wednesday do you?* *Fizz, what time do you finish college on Fridays?*

To all of you have recently just been overcome by unmotivation, my southern parents would tell you that "the saps risin' in ya", meaning spring is coming, and you're in that transition period where winter sucks and you want it to be over, but until its here, everything sucks. I'm feeling the same way right now. Nothing is cool, except me.

------------------
Southern playalistic

Aaaah, but the luxury of sitting and doing NOTHING!! I would LOVE to do that for a little while, but of course I'd probably get bored too after a time. But I can think of a zillion things I could be doing to amuse myself, even if it's finally writing my book. I am never going to find fame and fortune as a romance writer if I'm too damned busy with my day job! Of course, there's that whole money issue, which totally, totally sucks.

PPl who say that if they won millions in the lottery would keep working PISS ME OFF to no end. Volunteer work maybe, but WORK work? PLEASE!!!!

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
I'm so bored although I tend to get bored within thirty seconds of having nothing to do. And I have no money! I need a job! And some money! And relief from boredom!

Until this weekend, I was holding down 3 jobs. I'm only 22. It is a great relief to me to have quit the mall job. Now I am rediscovering weekends. I read three books, saw two new movies, discovered a new restaurant, went to an art museum, and worked out for hours. The weekend is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom