Work advice needed.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2loopy

War Child
Hey everyone. I need some advice. I've been at my company for almost 7 years. The first six months of my job I was Receptionist/Secretary. The Vice President of the company was retiring and they offered me her position. (Sounds impressive to offer a receptionist the position but it's a small company). I accepted and for the past 6 1/2 years I've been Office Manager with an okay salary.

Now, I've been thinking to ask them to change my position to Vice President. After all, I have been doing the VP's work for 6+ years (at the salary rate of an Office Manager.)

I just don't know how to go about asking. My bosses are great guys, but they are also too self-involved in the company and themselves. They don't really give raises unless you ask for them, because I don't think they even think of such things.

How should I approach them. Do I just come out and say, "I want to be Vice President"??? Opinions anyone??? Please help, I don't know how to approach this professionally. (Since I'm on Interference all day long!!!!)
wink.gif

------------------
In New York you can forget
forget how to sit still
Tell your friends you will stay in
but it's down to Alphaville.......

Hmm. I would just take a few minutes, pull them aside and start by going over a little history.. "ive been here for .. blah blah years.. ive done this and that.... and I would be very interested in taking on a higher position.. " Just give them a little speel and smooch their butt a bit.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
Tell them why you would be good for the job, etc. Pump yourself up. Just do it!!

------------------
Sexy poshin' sugar snarlin' rock and roll ...
sicy@interference.com
My Lair

yeah, definitely be prepared with a record of all you've done over the years. you probably have to sell the idea to them, so be very prepared. also, ask for more than you want, that way you have some negotiating room.

Thanks! I wish I could just send them a note or something. I always get so nervous when I have to ask them for things.
biggrin.gif

------------------
In New York you can forget
forget how to sit still
Tell your friends you will stay in
but it's down to Alphaville.......

Back
Top Bottom