WooHoo...I get to meet Robert Plant tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hewson

Blue Crack Supplier
Just got a call from WHJY radio in Providence, and I won a contest they ran on their website. Me and a guest get to meet Robert Plant backstage before he opens for the Who, and ask him one question. Then of course we stay for the concert. We were also supposed to attend his soundcheck, but they said The Who is using all the rehearsal time due to having a new bass player.

Should I ask him about the mudshark incident?? :ohmy:

Last edited:
wow, that's great! I always hear about those contests and never enter them. :huh: Apparently people do win them tho. :D Have fun and tell us all about it.

Congrats Hewson...that is some prize.
One question?...good luck.
Enjoy the show. I've been listening to Pete Townshend play on Bowie's "Slow Burn" Robert Plant and The Who
**cass faints**
please tell us what happens.

Can I be the "guest"?...just kiddin. That's wicked awesome. What section are you in? I'll be in sec 7. Maybe I'll run into you at the beer stand. I'm pysched...This will actually be the first time I go to see an opening act worth seeing. 2 classic acts in one night. Can't beat that. Oh yeah, you beat it by actually meeting Robert Plant. That's what I get for listening to mix98.5.....enjoy the show, I know I will.

Hewson said:

Should I ask him about the mudshark incident?? :ohmy:

Well, he will deny that question as always! But be ballsy and give it a go!

Have a great time! That's going to be an amazing show!

ZOOTB said:
Can I be the "guest"?...just kiddin. That's wicked awesome. What section are you in? I'll be in sec 7. Maybe I'll run into you at the beer stand. I'm pysched...This will actually be the first time I go to see an opening act worth seeing. 2 classic acts in one night. Can't beat that. Oh yeah, you beat it by actually meeting Robert Plant. That's what I get for listening to mix98.5.....enjoy the show, I know I will.
Don't know where the station will be sitting us for the show. From experience with radio contests, I guess they'll be average seats, not real great, but hopefully under the pavillion. Either way it should be a great show.
I've seen Plant 3x solo and once with Jimmy page, and he is always great, and as for The Who...they are one of the premier live bands in rock history...this should be a great night.
I'll keep my eyes open for you. ;)
Enjoy.

Re: Re: WooHoo...I get to meet Robert Plant tomorrow!

Gina Marie said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is that?

That's great-congrats! :)

One of the best groupie stories in rock history. I'll leave it at that.:sexywink:

Re: Re: WooHoo...I get to meet Robert Plant tomorrow!

Gina Marie said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is that?
The gist of the story is LedZep and some other rockers in a Seattle hotel, a female groupie, some fish ...and I'll leave the rest to your imagination.(And no they didn't have a nice seafood dinner!):ohmy:

Ok...so here's the details on Mr. Plant.
First of all...no mud shark questions allowed. In fact when entering the contest online, you had to submit a question, and as it turns out the 10 winners were selected based upon their questions. The station narrowed it to 35 and sent them to Plant's management, who selected the 10 winners. So you had to ask the question you won the contest with.

So we go backstage, and 1 at a time you go up to Robert, shake hi hand and ask your question...the contest was cvalled "Robert Plant face to face", and it was an accurate title, he was standing out in the picnic area backstage, and when you got your turn, you were literally 8" from him. So I asked my question, which went along the lines of "Of all the songs you've written or co-written, which do you think is the closest to a 'perfect' song?"
He gives a lengthy answer, naming 2 songs, Kashmir and The Rain Song, talking about being in India with Jimmy page, and how rock and roll should encompass the whole rainbow of emotions and life etc. Very cool 2 minutes.
He also took a well received swipe at everybody's favorite band, Creed, when someone else asked if he heard any Zep influences in today's music. Something like: "I heard Creed's latest song the other day and it sounded quite familiar", with an obvious tone of sarcasm. They recorded it on DAT, and are supposed to send us acopy on CD with some bonus tracks not shown on the VH1 storytellers.

As for the show: He did about 5 songs from his new album, 3 Zep tunes; Going to California, Four Sticks, and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You; and alsoTall Cool One from his solo catalogue.
The Who then came out and blew the roof off the pavillion at the Tweeter Center. If they're coming to your town...go. They have set the bar quite high for the best show of 2002, and the Stones and Bruce have their work cut out for them to top it.

ZOOTB: What did you think? We sat in section 6 row H, good seats.

Last edited:
Hewson said:

ZOOTB: What did you think? We sat in section 6 row H, good seats.

All I can say is "Wow". I was definitly blown away. They kicked some serious ass. I would highly recomend people to see them. And I thought Plant was excellent too. Kinda got a lump in my throat. I mean I was listening to Zep when I was 16 years old, saw "The Song Remains the Same" at the movie theater when it first came out, and now I was actually sitting there hearing "Going to California" live. I just couldn't believe it. It was also by far the "loudest" concert I had ever been to in my life. A good loud tho, they sounded excellent. Well worth the price for this one......

You are so lucky! I'm a huge Zep fan, I'd love that! Thanks for telling us about it!

Hewson said:
Trying to attach a picture the station emailed me of Plant and myself, but apparently its too big a file.

If you want, you can send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail addy.. if you are able to e-mail the pic to me, I could try to upload it to my Snapfish and post it for you.

:)

He played "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"!!??!!:love:
The stuff dreams are made of Hewson. Your question is a good one, no wonder you were one of the Chosen10.
Thanks for sharing the story. The pic would be good to see also, Can you resize your file?

oh, I just read ZooTB's post...I was forgetting THe Who were there too!!!!....**cass faints**

Here are the pics..

334%3A%3B9%3B523232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2326%3D86%3B%3D52%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C5%3B24358ot1lsi

334%3A%3B9%3B523232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2326%3D86%3B%3D52%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3C5%3B24359ot1lsi

Thanks for your help Gina...you rock.

And yes OOC, he does look a wee bit old these days, but still quite the presence on stage.

Back
Top Bottom