Woodenbong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish scarlet were an instrumental track.

I wish Scarlet closed the album...

:hmm: I still haven't decided on Race Against Time -> Bullet the Blue Sky.

I'm listening to the Joshua Tree remaster right now, for some reason I always listen in the normal order album followed by b-sides, even though it'd probably sound better if I mixed it around a bit

True, the two minutes are annoying. But after that, Vertigo is a big improvement, IMO.

I hate Bono's voice on the Elevation Tour. Vertigo just sounds better, all around.

Yeah. Australia was lucky that its dollar in 2002 was dodgy and U2 didn't bring Elevation's suckiness here.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/b...i-students-cultural-divide-20080722-3jck.html

A WIDENING gulf between international and local students has prompted warnings of resentment and a backlash on Australian university campuses, as overseas student numbers continue to grow.

The warnings come amid increasing concern over "fragility" in the sector arising from its dependence on international students. On average, universities derive 15% of their funding from overseas-student fees.

One of Australia's leading higher-education experts warns that despite the atmosphere on campuses generally supporting international students, there is "informal but real segregation" that could fuel tensions.

Claims of a divide have been backed up by student representatives.

Local students tended to work off campus and were not active in student life, while international students spent most of their time on campus, generally in the library, Professor Simon Marginson, of Melbourne University's Centre for Higher Education, told The Age.

"So you've got this odd situation with the local students half disengaged in a way I've never really seen before," he said.

"The international-student industry runs off the back of a reasonably strong local system which presumes a healthy relationship with the local students … all of that has become the marketing pitch.

"That's the flashpoint that worries me more than any other - that it could spring back into resentment."

National Union of Students president Angus McFarland said students were concerned about a lack of interaction.

That's right, send the damn fools back where they came from! They don't try to integrate with the Australian way of life, don't even try to learn conversational English because there are so many of them... They're taking away opportunities that local students need to get.

Eric Pang, president of the National Liaison Committee for International Students in Australia, said international students were not provided with a strong welfare system and were forced to rely on their peers for help and support, yet at the same time they were being accused of failing to integrate.

He said many overseas students had told the committee: "There's not much international students can learn from Australia in terms of culture or … English. After all, the standard of English of Australian students isn't high."

If I see this guy, I'm going to stab him. Repeatedly. With a fork.

If those fuckers think there's nothing they can learn, then why bloody well come here and ruin things for locals? The standard of English of Aussie students isn't amazingly high, admittedly, but NEITHER ARE YOURS, FUCKWITS. PLEASE GO AND BURN IN HELL.

Well I shant be ever going to University in Australia.

And I have now heard J. Swallow...and I will never be hearing it again.

If those fuckers think there's nothing they can learn, then why bloody well come here and ruin things for locals? The standard of English of Aussie students isn't amazingly high, admittedly, but NEITHER ARE YOURS, FUCKWITS. PLEASE GO AND BURN IN HELL.

What a fucken attitude. He should be the first one thrown out.

Well I shant be ever going to University in Australia.

And I have now heard J. Swallow...and I will never be hearing it again.

:lol:

To be fair, the international students that they're referring to are the ones from Asian countries. I've never seen anyone from America or Europe have the problems they're talking about.

At least, you know, Aussie students with poor English still speak English, unlike the hordes in the Asia Centre ...

:lol:

To be fair, the international students that they're referring to are the ones from Asian countries. I've never seen anyone from America or Europe have the problems they're talking about.

I've always hated how "international" student seems to have pretty much taken on the meaning of "Asian" student nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom