Woodenbong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Of course I speak it fairly fluently, I's azn.

So where'd you learn to speak Mandarin?

Chinese :drool:

I began learning Mandarin at uni. I got through 1 unit with a credit and had to take a semester off to gear up for more - I don't do failure well :lol: . I've got 4 units in total. It's a fascinating language, really. Hard though, as there's technically 2 languages to learn (and I reckon that's cheating!! :angry: ), but really fun.

Oh crap, yes, that. Sorry! Been busy all weekend and Monday. Barely at home these days...

I don't know how you cope.

But I'm looking forward to this Phail session, whenever it happens in the next decade ...

I took Japanese in high school, and it's my minor in college, but I've now had to take a full year off of it because of scheduling difficulties.

I'm terrified to go back now :shudder:

Chinese :drool:

I began learning Mandarin at uni. I got through 1 unit with a credit and had to take a semester off to gear up for more - I don't do failure well :lol: . I've got 4 units in total. It's a fascinating language, really. Hard though, as there's technically 2 languages to learn (and I reckon that's cheating!! :angry: ), but really fun.

Oh, awesome!

It's ridiculous to learn, what with the speaking and writing and the sheer complexity of both, and the fact that one written word can mean several things and one spoken word may in fact be several written words, and so on.

The best way to learn it though, I reckon, is by immersion - I like to watch Asian films with, then without subtitles when I feel like catching up on my Chinese. Plus, the films usually involve martial arts, which I do too, so that's always a bonus.

Hey Reggo! :wave:

Yeah, wait till I get my hat and trenchcoat look going next week... I'll look like someone out of the Prohibition era. An Asian member of the Italian mob maybe? :hmm:

You better wear this on Tuesday. Actually, is there a concert on Tuesday?

I, uh, think I'll stick with European languages, thanks. :lazy:

Oh, and Maori. Maori's sweet. And makes it sound like you swear in the Kiwi anthem. Ata whakarongona is a line in the first verse.

Yeah, Jap's equally complicated, if not worse.

I don't know that it's worse, Chinese scares me shitless. But Japanese is ridiculously hard. I've been studying it six years now, and still couldn't survive in Japan on my own. Well...when I was "lost" in Tokyo, my friend and I were able to successfully ask that policeman where McDonalds was :uhoh: *Knowing the Japanese for McDonalds FTW*

*steals idea and writes script for new Jackie Chan film*

Speaking of which, anyone watched The Forbidden Kingdom, featuring Jet Li and Jackie Chan? It's gonna come out soon here, but it's out everywhere else. I've got a copy of it on my computer, but have thus far resisted the temptation to watch it so I can see it in a cinema.

By my reckoning, the fight scene between Jet Li and Jackie Chan will be, for a martial artist like myself, better than sex.

wow, it's almost like the last four songs were the EXACT opposite of the first four in the way I'd rank them

Speaking of which, anyone watched The Forbidden Kingdom, featuring Jet Li and Jackie Chan? It's gonna come out soon here, but it's out everywhere else. I've got a copy of it on my computer, but have thus far resisted the temptation to watch it so I can see it in a cinema.

By my reckoning, the fight scene between Jet Li and Jackie Chan will be, for a martial artist like myself, better than sex.

I really wanna see that because the idea of both of them in a movie = win. However, I will say that after that movie came out in theaters I never heard another word about it, so that doesn't sound like it did too well. But I could be wrong.

I, uh, think I'll stick with European languages, thanks. :lazy:

Oh, and Maori. Maori's sweet. And makes it sound like you swear in the Kiwi anthem. Ata whakarongona is a line in the first verse.
I know a few random words in several languages, but my second laguage is American Sign Language. My second langauge is another American thing. Now I feel lazy.

Oh, awesome!

It's ridiculous to learn, what with the speaking and writing and the sheer complexity of both, and the fact that one written word can mean several things and one spoken word may in fact be several written words, and so on.

The best way to learn it though, I reckon, is by immersion - I like to watch Asian films with, then without subtitles when I feel like catching up on my Chinese. Plus, the films usually involve martial arts, which I do too, so that's always a bonus.

I'm glad to hear it's not me being retarded then! Honestly, I'd sit down some nights and emerge with a massive headache just thinking 'what the fuck.' And I study off campus, so I don't have lecturers and such there to allow classroom learning. I'm doing this entirely on my own and don't I feel every minute of that! We get DVDs along with all the other stuff, this massive fucking folder of both pinyin and modern characters (mixed in with old, just to confuse the shit out of dumbarses like me!) and I really only got the hang of the whatsitcalleds... It's organised into sound groups - li, xi, chi, etc., with the character for each and so on. It was like building language with lego. Very clever in its construction, is Mandarin.

imgad

Somehow, I don't think Beijing's best teachers are working for some website advertising via Google ads ...

I don't know that it's worse, Chinese scares me shitless. But Japanese is ridiculously hard. I've been studying it six years now, and still couldn't survive in Japan on my own. Well...when I was "lost" in Tokyo, my friend and I were able to successfully ask that policeman where McDonalds was :uhoh: *Knowing the Japanese for McDonalds FTW*

:laugh:

The Japanese for McDonalds being pronounced Ma Ku Don Ul Des?

:lmao:

The ad at the top reads for me: Listen to U2 album, NSW Immigration and NSW concerts. They may be on to me! :uhoh:

Pity I don't live in NSW, eh?

I really wanna see that because the idea of both of them in a movie = win. However, I will say that after that movie came out in theaters I never heard another word about it, so that doesn't sound like it did too well. But I could be wrong.

See, personally, I don't care whether the movie is good or not at all, I'm gonna be paying the entry fare just to see that fight scene between the two of them. And it will be worth it, judging by the trailers. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom