Wolf Parade. The new arcade fire? well, maybe they're just awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Some new kinda theatrical whacky but holy motherf***ing damn amazing indie rock out of Montreal.

You saw it here first. Or if you didn't, you're lucky. Their debut album just hit the net today (out in sept) and it captured me on first listen unlike any album since.. well... Funeral by the Arcade Fire.

but check out here for some sounds from their repetoir.

and check out the subpop site for an /\/\|>III of the first song of their new album.

I was in the process of posting this very thread.

I SWEAR.

Let it be known on this day, I almost scooped SkeeK hardcore!

Seriously though, the amalgam style references are quite interesting. Their song titles rule too. Curious that the name is so similar to The Arcade Fire, both being monikers that refer to a public place/something dangerous.

Agoraphobic Canadians = Musical Awesome

:up:

not just Canada, but Montreal.

and check this out from their newmusiccanada page:
INFLUENCES:

Huns
Mongols
Marquis de Sade
bad habits
art by Boris

btw, do you read/post on atease?

That's a formidable list (quite a few I haven't heard, but their names intimidate me with great angst).

I registered and browsed at atease for a bit. Too scared of the folk there to post though.

:sexywink:

hehe. i just wondered because there's a thread there that inspired me to post this one at the very instant that I did..

those people can be scary. But sometimes it's fun to follow their lead and be a complete asshole for a couple posts just for kicks.

I am thinking wolf parade right now sounds like Modest Mouse + The Arcade Fire + Spoon + Joy Division + The Unicorns with some fuzz on top.

Wow. You really know what you have to do to put me in a brand new Wolf Parade today.

:up:

I do the very same thing at The Music's messageboard site. Since most of the posters there are native UK folk, they often have the inside information on new bands sprouting there.

Good stuff SkeeK.

i've been meaning to check these guys out since i read about them in the time magazine with the arcade fire on the cover.

thanks SkeeK! :up:

boosterjuice said:
They do sound very similar to Arcade Fire.

and they are also from Montreal. And they recorded their first demo on the Arcade Fire's instruments. And played their first show opening for the Arcade Fire.

Heck. They've probably even talked to some of the band members.

oh yes.

I've only heard You Are a Runne and I Am My Father's Son

It's sounds more like a Modest Mouse than the Arcade Fire.

This album isn't released yet. How have you heard it?
you couldn't have...did you downlo....I can't bring myself to say it!!

'i'll believe in anything' is INCREDIBLE. :drool:

wow. i'm really looking forward to this.

guess what's released tomorrow??? lalalala. wheee.

if you care about that sort of thing pitchfork gave it a 9.2
"If you can, block out the baggage of its built-in hype machine and take this stuff for what it is. I still remember the excitement felt when I first heard Modest Mouse more than a decade ago. At the time, my friend and I talked about how it sounded like this or like that or whatever, but beneath the snobbery and geeky influence-detecting, we were excited, and so obviously into what the band was doing. If given the chance, Wolf Parade should engender similar scenarios: In a few years, other folks will still remember where they were when they first heard Apologies to the Queen Mary."

DUDE, i was JUST about to post this.

then decided to post the lyrics to 'i'll believe in anything' in my journal instead.

cool. :up: i'm looking forward to seeing them with the arcade fire next week.

I have been listening to it for a couple days now. It's great. What the hell is in that Canadian drinking water?? :drool:

I must pick this up. :up: I downloaded You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son a while ago and loved it. I seem to recall listening to some of their live stuff as well...in any case, great music.

I'm not convinced that it's worth it yet. I'm a huge fan of the Arcade Fire, and these guys are no Arcade Fire.

I like a couple of their songs, but still, I don't know if I want to drop the dough on the rest of them.

the whole album is fantastic.

seriously knox, do yourself a favour and get it.

Have any of you seen them live?

Because they were truly awful when I saw them early this past year. I mean boring as all hell, wouldn't be able to pick them out of a line up after the show.

I hope they've improved live since then.

anitram said:

Because they were truly awful when I saw them early this past year. I mean boring as all hell, wouldn't be able to pick them out of a line up after the show.

I'm seeing them open for The Arcade Fire tomorrow night, I'll let you know how they were.

anitram said:

I saw them open for Arcade Fire last night. They were actually pretty good, but I was also a little distracted with the anticipation of seeing Arcade Fire! I am seeing them in a smaller venue here in Chicago in a couple weeks, as the headliner, I have high hopes for this band, but as knox was saying, they are definitely no Arcade fire. Arcade Fire, like U2, are on a completely different level when live. The Aracde Fire doesn't seem so indie anymore, but I think that's a good thing. :wink:

I just bought this album a couple of hours ago on iTunes because CD stores in St. John's suck ass. I kind of regret it, though, because iTunes messed up Killing Armies (there's no sound from the 2:26 mark onwards) and they spelled Modern World "Modern Wolrd". Bitches. :mad: I'll probably have to buy that one again.

ANYWAY, getting to the album itself - good stuff. :up: Some of the songs are a little underwhelming, but it really is way too early to judge. I'll probably come back to this thread in a month or two's time to see how much my opinion of it has changed. :happy:

01. You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son - I've had this one for a while, and it's still as good as ever. Kind of Arcade Fire meets Modest Mouse.

02. Modern World - Good track. Very nice guitar and great singing. :up:

03. Grounds For Divorce - Another good one, but the synth kind of irritates me.

04. We Build Another World - I'm not too fond of this. It's simply a continuation of the previous track, and not a very good one. I do like the outro, though.

05. Fancy Claps - SIGNIFICANTLY better than the former. The album really picks up at this point.

06. Same Ghost Every Night - Very good song!

07. Shine A Light - This one's okay, not one of my favourites, but it might grow. I find it's just a tad repetitive.

08. Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts - I love this one! Awesome beat. Definitely one of my favourites on the album.

09. I'll Believe In Anything - As of now, I think this one's the best. AMAZING song. Spencer Krug shines vocally! Great beginning, great middle, great end. If you're going to download any songs from this album, make sure you download this one. I got chills on my first listen towards the end of the song.

10. It's A Curse - After hearing I'll Believe In Anything, I thought it would have been a difficult song to top. But this song is very good too! Very infectious beat and melody. The "oh oh oh!" section is great.

11. Dinner Bells - Not sure what I make of the beginning of this one yet. Maybe it will grow on me. I do love the middle/outro - what a beautiful section of music. Any shortcomings that this one has in its initial stages are made up for between the 3:30 - 7:30 mark. This should have been the last song on the album.

12. This Heart's On Fire - Good, but the synths are irritating again.

13. Killing Armies - If iTunes didn't cut off the last thirty seconds of this song, I think I'd be interested in doing a longer review. :mad:

14. Modern World (Original) - I think this one was just a bonus track that came with the iTunes download. In any case, I much prefer track number 2.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
I just bought this album a couple of hours ago on iTunes because CD stores in St. John's suck ass. I kind of regret it, though, because iTunes messed up Killing Armies (there's no sound from the 2:26 mark onwards) and they spelled Modern World "Modern Wolrd". Bitches. :mad: I'll probably have to buy that one again.

ANYWAY, getting to the album itself - good stuff. :up: Some of the songs are a little underwhelming, but it really is way too early to judge. I'll probably come back to this thread in a month or two's time to see how much my opinion of it has changed. :happy:

01. You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son - I've had this one for a while, and it's still as good as ever. Kind of Arcade Fire meets Modest Mouse.

02. Modern World - Good track. Very nice guitar and great singing. :up:

03. Grounds For Divorce - Another good one, but the synth kind of irritates me.

04. We Build Another World - I'm not too fond of this. It's simply a continuation of the previous track, and not a very good one. I do like the outro, though.

05. Fancy Claps - SIGNIFICANTLY better than the former. The album really picks up at this point.

06. Same Ghost Every Night - Very good song!

07. Shine A Light - This one's okay, not one of my favourites, but it might grow. I find it's just a tad repetitive.

08. Dear Sons And Daughters Of Hungry Ghosts - I love this one! Awesome beat. Definitely one of my favourites on the album.

09. I'll Believe In Anything - As of now, I think this one's the best. AMAZING song. Spencer Krug shines vocally! Great beginning, great middle, great end. If you're going to download any songs from this album, make sure you download this one. I got chills on my first listen towards the end of the song.

10. It's A Curse - After hearing I'll Believe In Anything, I thought it would have been a difficult song to top. But this song is very good too! Very infectious beat and melody. The "oh oh oh!" section is great.

11. Dinner Bells - Not sure what I make of the beginning of this one yet. Maybe it will grow on me. I do love the middle/outro - what a beautiful section of music. Any shortcomings that this one has in its initial stages are made up for between the 3:30 - 7:30 mark. This should have been the last song on the album.

12. This Heart's On Fire - Good, but the synths are irritating again.

13. Killing Armies - If iTunes didn't cut off the last thirty seconds of this song, I think I'd be interested in doing a longer review. :mad:

14. Modern World (Original) - I think this one was just a bonus track that came with the iTunes download. In any case, I much prefer track number 2.

Nice review...:up: Before the current lockout, my dad worked on a CBC tv special on the Montreal music scene...it featured The Arcade Fire, of course, but I think this band was in there as well, if I recall correctly. My dad is hard to impress, especially musically, but he said some amazing things are coming from Montreal right now...some say it's the 'new Seattle', etc.

From what I've heard Wolf of Wolf Parade thus far, they could be the offspring of Radiohead and Modest Mouse...

Well I got it, and I've listened to it once (enjoyed it, but didn't blow me away), but my computer doesn't want to recognize it when I slide it into the CD drive. :(

Back
Top Bottom