Wittenoom Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_man2002 said:
:up:

Another thing to love about the Stripes (Not sure about The Raconteurs).....but they've write setlists before the show, they just go out there and play. The only thing thats a gimmie is they will have a few songs that they usually will always open with. and usually close with Seven Nation Army -> Boll Wevil.

I soo want them to tour downunder.

Now that would make for really interesting setlists. I wish U2 and PT would do that. PT's current setlist diversity is roughly akin to Lovetown U2, though in the past when they had less material the sets were more static.

bono_man2002 said:

:rockon:

Do you own any Genisis albums?...I've been looking at getting some more. I only have Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Liam has killed me repeatedly for this, but I think Peter Gabriel era Genesis was one of the worst prog bands ever. We both agree Collins era Genesis doesn't count as prog and is mockable, though.

Axver said:

Now that would make for really interesting setlists. I wish U2 and PT would do that. PT's current setlist diversity is roughly akin to Lovetown U2, though in the past when they had less material the sets were more static.

If U2 do that next tour and Bono can keep up, he deserves a pay raise. A HUGE pay raise.

major_panic said:
Yeah, I'll be there. I always head down to check it out, although there haven't really been any bands that've caught my attention yet.

Today's act was Little Red, who were quaint and weird (THREE people took lead vocals on different songs, their key singer and guitarist was on crack and the drummer must've just escaped from a mental institute).

:lol:

Sounds good then. Given the context of the gigs, I don't exactly expect to see anything wildly exceptional, but then again, maybe one day one of these bands will become huge and we can say "I was there!"

Speaking of "I was there!" situations, I'm snippet-checking 23 January 1981, Belfast right now. Not that I expect to find snippets. Bono didn't do much snippetry back then at all.

major_panic said:

If U2 do that next tour and Bono can keep up, he deserves a pay raise. A HUGE pay raise.

After the success of the Kunstmuseum setlist, I think Interference should just launch a campaign to get myself and Pee Fan appointed as U2 setlist directors. :wink:

Axver said:

Sounds good then. Given the context of the gigs, I don't exactly expect to see anything wildly exceptional, but then again, maybe one day one of these bands will become huge and we can say "I was there!"

Speaking of "I was there!" situations, I'm snippet-checking 23 January 1981, Belfast right now. Not that I expect to find snippets. Bono didn't do much snippetry back then at all.

LOLZOMG U MEAN MUSIC EXISTED B4 U2?!?! LAWL.

major_panic said:

:hi5:

Wait, is there some reference I'm not getting?

Potentially, though I say it a lot so either you got it from me or you just said it out of radness. It's from an Achewood comic strip, however:

uua9nwzKn.gif

(The character is Roast Beef, a depressed Californian cat, although the fact that he is a cat is basically irrelevant).

Axver said:

After the success of the Kunstmuseum setlist, I think Interference should just launch a campaign to get myself and Pee Fan appointed as U2 setlist directors. :wink:

Dear Axver and PFan,

I just can't cope with the setlists. 23 different songs a night is far too many for me to remember, even if I did write them. I hereby ask that you cut me some slack, or at least let me sing 40. You know, we haven't played that since the War tour...

Incidentally, how about a LAPOE > SBS > BTBS segue, and maybe a section where we play Pride, Streets and One? Don't think we've done that before.

Yours sincerely,
Bono

major_panic said:
Today's act was Little Red, who were quaint and weird (THREE people took lead vocals on different songs, their key singer and guitarist was on crack and the drummer must've just escaped from a mental institute).
I've heard (of) them on JJJ... can't remember if I've heard their music.

:laugh: 23/01/81, before The Cry/The Electric Co., Bono remarks that "I don't really know how to talk to you people"! :laugh:

Axver said:

They also played the single greatest Suprise Concert of all time. It was One Chord. That was all.

Setlist Example: (Not that'll you'll care about the songs, I'm posting for the mix up)

White Stripes 07/29/07

Icky Thump
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told)
Hotel Yorba
Effect & Cause
Cannon
John the Revelator
Wasting My Time
Catch Hell Blues
Seven Nation Army
I Can't Wait
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
In the Cold, Cold Night
A Martyr For My Love For You
You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)
Hello Operator
Instinct Blues
Apple Blossom
Take, Take, Take
We're Going To Be Friends
Little Cream Soda
Ball & Biscuit

E: Blue Orchid
Black Math
Hardest Button To Button
the Union Forever
My Doorbell
Boll Weevil

Two Nights later, In a Diffrent city:

White Stripes 07/31/07

Stop Breaking Down
Let's Build a Home
When I Hear My Name
Icky Thump
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground/As Ugly As I Seem
The Same Boy You've Always Known
Wasting My Time
Phonograph Blues
Cannon/John the Revelator
Death Letter
Astro
Apple Blossom
You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)
In the Cold, Cold Night
I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart
Hotel Yorba
A Martyr For My Love For You
Ball and Biscuit

E: 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
Blue Orchid
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Boll Weevil

Axver said:
So, when was the first documented snippet? :wink:

major_panic said:

Dear Axver and PFan,

I just can't cope with the setlists. 23 different songs a night is far too many for me to remember, even if I did write them. I hereby ask that you cut me some slack, or at least let me sing 40. You know, we haven't played that since the War tour...

Incidentally, how about a LAPOE > SBS > BTBS segue, and maybe a section where we play Pride, Streets and One? Don't think we've done that before.

Yours sincerely,
Bono

Dear Axfan and Pver,

Thank you for your reply, though I must say, I don't deem your use of "senile, haggard old goon" to describe me completely necessary. Maybe later, but not now, because I don't understand what you meant. Surely my statements were correct - after all, I subscribe to U2.com. In any case, I do agree that the setlists are becoming rather stale, so we have planned to cut Acrobat and Luminous Times out of our act, understanding that the great majority of our fanbase are becoming sick of them. Yes, we do listen.

Yours in the Good Christ,
- Bono

Last edited:
Alisaura said:

So, when was the first documented snippet? :wink:

At the moment, 1980-10-14, Hilversum, U2's first gig outside Ireland and the UK. Send In The Clowns appears in The Electric Co. I'm going to snippet-check a couple of shows from the previous month later tonight though, and I won't be shocked if Send In The Clowns turns up there. I just found it in TEC 23/01/81.

Also, hello! :wave:

major_panic said:
Dear Axver and PFan,

Yours sincerely,
Bono

Dear Bono,

Why don't we just make this easy for all concerned and do an instrumental set? It would be something new and radical, and I'm sure you'll appreciate all the free time to write your Africa speeches that we'll let you do in the obligatory encore of hits.

Regards,
Ax

Axver said:

Dear Bono,

Why don't we just make this easy for all concerned and do an instrumental set? It would be something new and radical, and I'm sure you'll appreciate all the free time to write your Africa speeches that we'll let you do in the obligatory encore of hits.

Regards,
Ax

Dear Ax,

But we have never written any instrumentals.

Yours,
Bono

Axver said:

Dear Bono,

Regards,
Ax

Dear Axver,

That sounds great, provided I can give some speeches over the guitar solos like I usually do.

Yours,
Bono

bono_man2002 said:
Setlist Example: (Not that'll you'll care about the songs, I'm posting for the mix up)

Fucking hell, that's some serious setlist diversity.

Ugh, U2 urgently need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom