Wisdom Teeth - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:31 PM
crys Wisdom Teeth

My wisdom teeth are really startin' to kill me!!!!!!! Blarg! It looks like I'm gonna have to get them out in the near future...

So...people who have had theirs removed...give it to me straight...how bad is it??????

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-18-2002, 12:05 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:31 AM

They took mine out a few years ago. It doesn't hurt at all, it just feels kinda funny afterwards when you can't feel them anymore.

It bleeds like hell though...

Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:31 PM

it sucked. and afterwards i looked like a chipmunk for three days cause my cheeks were swollen.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Four the past five years, mine have been hurting on and off. They'll start to come in and then stop. Two of mine have completely broken through, and the other two have partially. My dentist has said that I probably won't have to have them out -- hopefully that'll be the case!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:31 AM
the first one was rooted way to deep
so the bleeding went one and one
that one did hurt

the 2nd one never hurt at all
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

crys

I too have been putting this off. A few weeks ago mine were so swollen that I had to eat soft food and stuff for a few days. But I don't have health insurance, so I will tough it out as along as possible. blarg. Thank goodness for that over-the-counter numbing medicine.

Old 06-18-2002, 12:12 PM   #7
The Fly

It wasn't so bad..I had all 4 done at the same time..Thats the way to go I was told. I just remember waking and thinking..."Cool, it's over already"...then I got to take some percocet (fun!)
Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:31 PM
I'm so glad someone brought this up...

So, how do you know when they need to be taken out? I know they hurt, but what kind of pain? What exactly hurts?

My dentist keeps telling me that I need to look into contacting the oral surgeon to have them taken out, but I'm nervous.

Is it the root that hurts? Or the whole tooth? Or is the gum around it?
Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
New Yorker

I think it varies person to person. I was pretty much fine the next day - that is, once I figured out that I was allergic to the pain killers (I had all the symptoms - dizzy, nausea, my whole body itched, lightheadedness...). My mouth hurt, but not that badly - once I got off the painkillers and just started taking about 3 advil, 3 times a day, I was fine. My face was swollen a little, but it went down quickly. It really wasn't too awful at all!! It's also lots easier if yours are starting to come in already - all four of mine were completely impacted, so it was much more a process. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:17 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I'm so glad someone brought this up...

So, how do you know when they need to be taken out? I know they hurt, but what kind of pain? What exactly hurts?

My dentist keeps telling me that I need to look into contacting the oral surgeon to have them taken out, but I'm nervous.

Is it the root that hurts? Or the whole tooth? Or is the gum around it?
it kind of depends. people ususally have to have them removed if they're impacted which i think means they're coming in the wrong direction. my top ones just didn't fit and my bottom ones were coming in towards my other teeth so i could feel lots of pressure on my back teeth. there could be gum pain too depending on how and which way they're coming in. i went to an oral surgeon too so i was pretty much for the whole procedure. like everyone said there is lots of bleeding but it's not too bad (except for looking like a chipmunk).
Old 06-18-2002, 12:28 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 06:31 PM
I had two taken out because the dentist said if they tried to break through, there would be no room for them. I was knocked out for the whole thing...it didn't really hurt afterwards. The pain killers turned my psycho though...I won't take them again...
Old 06-18-2002, 01:51 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Not bad at all - I was dreaming I was in Santorini Greece as mine were being pulled and then afterward - I had no pain, just craved Chinese Food...
Old 06-18-2002, 01:55 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I had mine out about 4 months ago. My teeth were laying flat, so that you couldn't even see them. I was told there was a good chance for permanant numbness in my lips after the surgery.....

well, no problems at all. the actual surgeon said there was really a slim chance of losing feeling. I was able to eat solids later that night.

My g/f had hers out 2 months later and got a dry socket. I guess those really hurt so becareful of that.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:40 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
crys

I had all mine taken out a few years ago (they were impacted).

I was really nervous about the pain thing, but after the surgery it wasn't that bad. Although I had to take an antibruise medicine because I bruise easy, and I only got a little purple. It took about a week before I could or would open my mouth all the way.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #15
War Child

OWWWWWCH!!! I had mine out a few years ago- also impacted. I almost passed out when they came at me with the IV(serious fear of needles), then the drugs took so hard that my mom had to take me home still asleep. Therefore, I wasn't able to take my first pain pill. I woke up drooling blood in an empty house. I crawled to the kitchen to look for the prescription, but mom was out getting it. The pain was so bad I just sat on the kitchen floor and cried till she came home. After that, it was all good. Just TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS and you won't have a problem!

Tip for not swelling: The pain meds completely knocked me out, so i'd take one and fall asleep on my side with an ice pack on my cheek, when I woke up to take the next pill, I'd flip over and get a new ice pack. I slept for basically three days and never swelled because of all the ice.