Wimmens in Music part 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Wimmens in Music part 2

[color=royal blue]
I be BACK o_O

OK My question this time round…..I’m not really sure how to phrase it as a question. So bear with me. And I have pictures for the visual learners too.

OK so

Michelle Branch

Vanessa Carlton

Avril Lavigne…somewhere in there….

Now I want ppl’s thoughts on this……… bc I’m thinkin….. Is it fair to expect a lot out of them? Or is it fair to be like…psh….
[/color]

Old 07-23-2002, 10:15 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

mas

[color=royal blue]
Bc on one hand they could very really prove to be reputable female musicians……. They all have songwriting and instrumenting credits to their names. And there is the very fact that they DO write their own songs in part. I mean would it be fair or even SANE of me to expect any of these girls to be future equivalents of the likes of

But on the other hand…… the majority of the lyrics are…… quite pedestrian…… I mean…. they’re still all quite young I believe, but even I could outwrite them. Freal. So…. I mean should we be watching them? Or are they just a kind of updated version of Britney Spears only trying to appeal to a broader audience by adding more practical show biz credentials to ‘em?

*COMBUST* Part of me tells me this isn‘t even worth debating……. But I‘d like to hear what other ppl be thinkin boot it.
[/color]

Old 07-23-2002, 10:27 PM   #3
Refugee

Normal

I only know Avril Lavigne and she seems like such a skater poseur chick and her lyrics are WEAK. She is still young though.

I prefer:

PJ Harvey

Though I don't have many favorite female artists...And even though they're not rock artists I like :

Aaliyah (r.i.p )

Madonna
Old 07-24-2002, 06:29 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
I think that Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton and Avril whateverhernameis... are pretty weak in terms of originality. They may be a bit higher up on the creative chain because they write their own music, but what they are writing is not groundbreaking.

I think we will wait and see how they evolve as songwriters and artists. But my theory:

Avril: Passing fancy....in a year or two we won't know her name (oh wait I don't know her name now )

Vanessa: I hate that some people have compared her to Tori Amos I think she is talented on the piano, but needs more originality in her song writing.

Michelle: I think she is the lesser of the evils here, I can see her evolving her style and her songwriting becoming more mature.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:02 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:26 AM
torirox

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox
[color=royal blue]
Or are they just a kind of updated version of Britney Spears only trying to appeal to a broader audience by adding more practical show biz credentials to ‘em?

[/color]
Updated Spears, I dare say.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:26 PM
it's scary that I know the lines

If I could fall into the sky...

That's one screwed up lyric, if I ever heard one.

cos you're everything to me/when I close my eyes it's you I see

Can it get any more cliched than this?

foray
Old 07-24-2002, 07:27 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:26 AM
yeah definitely scary those

earwigs?
Old 07-24-2002, 08:44 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Naya
I only know Avril Lavigne and she seems like such a skater poseur chick and her lyrics are WEAK. She is still young though.

Exactly. The only good thing are the riffs...and I don't know if she's the one playing or someone else.

Vanessa would be the best of the three new, young girls in music.

I like Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:52 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM

I don't like many female artists, but I really, really like Beth Orton.

http://www.bethorton.mu/
Old 07-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Re: mas

Quote:
Originally posted by MonaVox

Bc on one hand they could very really prove to be reputable female musicians……. They all have songwriting and instrumenting credits to their names.
I'm not picking on ya Mona, but reading that makes me . Not at you, but at the music industry in general.

[rant]

To hear DJ's and VJ's go "oooo she writes her own stuff," like it was the greatest accomplishment in the world makes me kinda ill. To them, the idea that women writing their own stuff is a new and novel idea. Yes, they are talented, they can sing, play instruments, however women writing their own stuff is not uncommon. It is only uncommon in the top40 Teen Pop trash heap.

To be honest I still don't see how Alicia Keys won the Songwriters grammy for "Fallen." Perhaps it is my U2 bias, but the lyrics and melody aren't that great compared to the other nominees *coughU2cough*

[/rant]
Old 07-24-2002, 11:23 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: mas

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean

I'm not picking on ya Mona, but reading that makes me . Not at you, but at the music industry in general.

[rant]

To hear DJ's and VJ's go "oooo she writes her own stuff," like it was the greatest accomplishment in the world makes me kinda ill. To them, the idea that women writing their own stuff is a new and novel idea. Yes, they are talented, they can sing, play instruments, however women writing their own stuff is not uncommon. It is only uncommon in the top40 Teen Pop trash heap.

To be honest I still don't see how Alicia Keys won the Songwriters grammy for "Fallen." Perhaps it is my U2 bias, but the lyrics and melody aren't that great compared to the other nominees *coughU2cough*

[/rant]
Old 07-24-2002, 12:24 PM   #12
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 09:26 PM

Those first 2 girls sound exactly the same....but it's better than that slutty brittney and christina bullshit.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:41 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
These girls are still really young and I give them so much respect for getting out there with their own songs and playing their own instruments when they don't have to, it wouldn't be that hard for some hack writer to hand them some Britney cast-off. They have some talent and plenty of ambition, I just hope they're given the chance to mature as artists like U2, Madonna, Pearl Jam were.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:14 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
These girls are still really young and I give them so much respect for getting out there with their own songs and playing their own instruments when they don't have to, it wouldn't be that hard for some hack writer to hand them some Britney cast-off. They have some talent and plenty of ambition, I just hope they're given the chance to mature as artists like U2, Madonna, Pearl Jam were.
That's what part of me is thinkin'
Old 07-24-2002, 04:18 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:26 AM
ABSOLUTELY LOVE vanessas "a thousand miles" and michelles "All you wanted"

and im sorry, no doubt this will provoke some shitthrowin, but i dont rate Madonna as an artist. At All.