Wimmens in Music part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
[color=royal blue]
I be BACK o_O

OK My question this time round?..I?m not really sure how to phrase it as a question. So bear with me. And I have pictures for the visual learners too.

OK so
michelle.jpg

Michelle Branch

vanessa_carlton.jpg

Vanessa Carlton

photo5.jpg

Avril Lavigne?somewhere in there?.

Now I want ppl?s thoughts on this??? bc I?m thinkin?.. Is it fair to expect a lot out of them? Or is it fair to be like?psh?.
[/color]

mas

[color=royal blue]
Bc on one hand they could very really prove to be reputable female musicians??. They all have songwriting and instrumenting credits to their names. And there is the very fact that they DO write their own songs in part. I mean would it be fair or even SANE of me to expect any of these girls to be future equivalents of the likes of

tori%20amos.JPG

poster-alanis-morissette01.jpg

btm_sherylcrow.jpg

But on the other hand?? the majority of the lyrics are?? quite pedestrian?? I mean?. they?re still all quite young I believe, but even I could outwrite them. Freal. So?. I mean should we be watching them? Or are they just a kind of updated version of Britney Spears only trying to appeal to a broader audience by adding more practical show biz credentials to ?em?

*COMBUST* Part of me tells me this isn?t even worth debating??. But I?d like to hear what other ppl be thinkin boot it.
[/color]

I only know Avril Lavigne and she seems like such a skater poseur chick and her lyrics are WEAK. She is still young though.

I prefer:

PJ Harvey
334%3A6%3A8323232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E875%3E%3B7%3B%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232399%3B57%3B29nu0mrj

334%3A6%3A8323232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E875%3E%3B7%3B%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232399%3B58497nu0mrj

Though I don't have many favorite female artists...And even though they're not rock artists I like :

Aaliyah (r.i.p :()
334%3A6%3A8323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2326%3D966%3D%3C6%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E23232%3A9%3B53%3A84ot1lsi

Madonna
334%3A6%3A8323232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E875%3E%3B7%3B%3Ewsnrcg%3D323239%3A%3A63544nu0mrj

Last edited:
I think that Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton and Avril whateverhernameis... are pretty weak in terms of originality. They may be a bit higher up on the creative chain because they write their own music, but what they are writing is not groundbreaking.

I think we will wait and see how they evolve as songwriters and artists. But my theory:

Avril: Passing fancy....in a year or two we won't know her name (oh wait I don't know her name now ;) )

Vanessa: I hate that some people have compared her to Tori Amos :mad: I think she is talented on the piano, but needs more originality in her song writing.

Michelle: I think she is the lesser of the evils here, I can see her evolving her style and her songwriting becoming more mature.

torirox

MonaVox said:
[color=royal blue]
Or are they just a kind of updated version of Britney Spears only trying to appeal to a broader audience by adding more practical show biz credentials to ?em?

[/color]

Updated Spears, I dare say.

it's scary that I know the lines

If I could fall into the sky...

That's one screwed up lyric, if I ever heard one.

cos you're everything to me/when I close my eyes it's you I see

Can it get any more cliched than this?

foray

Naya said:
I only know Avril Lavigne and she seems like such a skater poseur chick and her lyrics are WEAK. She is still young though.

Exactly. The only good thing are the riffs...and I don't know if she's the one playing or someone else. :tsk:

Vanessa would be the best of the three new, young girls in music.

I like Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan.

Re: mas

MonaVox said:

Bc on one hand they could very really prove to be reputable female musicians??. They all have songwriting and instrumenting credits to their names.

I'm not picking on ya Mona, but reading that makes me :mad:. Not at you, but at the music industry in general.

[rant]

To hear DJ's and VJ's go "oooo she writes her own stuff," like it was the greatest accomplishment in the world makes me kinda ill. To them, the idea that women writing their own stuff is a new and novel idea. Yes, they are talented, they can sing, play instruments, however women writing their own stuff is not uncommon. It is only uncommon in the top40 Teen Pop trash heap.

To be honest I still don't see how Alicia Keys won the Songwriters grammy for "Fallen." Perhaps it is my U2 bias, but the lyrics and melody aren't that great compared to the other nominees *coughU2cough*

[/rant]

Re: Re: mas

daisybean said:

I'm not picking on ya Mona, but reading that makes me :mad:. Not at you, but at the music industry in general.

[rant]

To hear DJ's and VJ's go "oooo she writes her own stuff," like it was the greatest accomplishment in the world makes me kinda ill. To them, the idea that women writing their own stuff is a new and novel idea. Yes, they are talented, they can sing, play instruments, however women writing their own stuff is not uncommon. It is only uncommon in the top40 Teen Pop trash heap.

To be honest I still don't see how Alicia Keys won the Songwriters grammy for "Fallen." Perhaps it is my U2 bias, but the lyrics and melody aren't that great compared to the other nominees *coughU2cough*

[/rant]

:up: :yes: :up:

Those first 2 girls sound exactly the same....but it's better than that slutty brittney and christina bullshit.

These girls are still really young and I give them so much respect for getting out there with their own songs and playing their own instruments when they don't have to, it wouldn't be that hard for some hack writer to hand them some Britney cast-off. They have some talent and plenty of ambition, I just hope they're given the chance to mature as artists like U2, Madonna, Pearl Jam were.

dsmith2904 said:
These girls are still really young and I give them so much respect for getting out there with their own songs and playing their own instruments when they don't have to, it wouldn't be that hard for some hack writer to hand them some Britney cast-off. They have some talent and plenty of ambition, I just hope they're given the chance to mature as artists like U2, Madonna, Pearl Jam were.

That's what part of me is thinkin'

ABSOLUTELY LOVE vanessas "a thousand miles" and michelles "All you wanted"

and im sorry, no doubt this will provoke some shitthrowin, but i dont rate Madonna as an artist. At All.

coolhandlaura said:
ABSOLUTELY LOVE vanessas "a thousand miles" and michelles "All you wanted"

and im sorry, no doubt this will provoke some shitthrowin, but i dont rate Madonna as an artist. At All.

I hate to drag your young age into this, but I think that might be a large influence. You might not have been alive to watch Madonna evolve as a performer, woman, etc., or might have been too young to pay attention.

While I don't care for Madonna any more, it would be crazy to not consider her an artist of sorts. She busted down the doors for women in the entertainment industry who didn't want to play by male record execs or society's rules. She advanced the art of showmanship and what it means to represent yourself. She rewrote the book on what could get people's attention musically and visually and still be relevant.

Michelle Branch needs a singing lesson. She is awful. Unfortunately, because all of these little girls choose to sing their bad poetry and learn to play minimal guitar, and bc they are in our faces all the time on MTV, many of us start to believe they are *actually* good and talented bc MTV and the media and the DJ's tell us they are good. Not always the case.

I'll pay attention to these new girls because I do love female songwriters who are original and can stand the test of time and trends. I don't anticipate them sticking around too long, though.

HelloAngel said:

I hate to drag your young age into this, but I think that might be a large influence. You might not have been alive to watch Madonna evolve as a performer, woman, etc., or might have been too young to pay attention.

yeah, feel free to drag my age into it, because youre right.

i realise she did...well, all if what you said, and maybe i was wrong not to call her an artist, but what i meant, was, a musician, singer.

yknow, she cant sing. she cant write.

and i think she launched a thousand Britney Spears!

so, sorry HelloAngel, my wording was wrong!.
:p

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm not too thrilled with any of them, to be honest.

Give any new artist 5 years, and if they're around by then maybe there's something there. How long did it take U2 before they established credibility?

:yes:

*coughbethortoncough*

MonaVox said:

You know, that name sounds familiar. Where would I know her from?

She's worked with the Chemical Brothers in the past and her newest single, "Concrete Sky," features Ryan Adams. :)

Speaking of more ethereal girls in ROCK,

what do any of you know about: Gemma Hayes?

I have one of her songs on a Q Mag mix CD & was curious

I don't know much about her, but I like what I've heard by her. :)

(that Q cd is the BEST!! I got about ten new albums b/c of it!)

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm not too thrilled with any of them, to be honest.

Give any new artist 5 years, and if they're around by then maybe there's something there. How long did it take U2 before they established credibility?

That's my main gripe with the music industry right now is that young artists get one album, sometimes only one single, to prove themselves. U2 showed a lot of promise with "Boy" and worked and learned and toured and practiced and grew to get to the point they are now. Today's up-and-comers don't have that luxury, they throw together their first album, maybe tour, then it's straight into the studio to make a second album and if that doesn't sell as well or better than the first, they're out.
We all know that "October" was not as financially or critically successful as "Boy," so under today's screwed up record company rules U2 might have never been able to make "War." So sad!
Artists need to be able to grow, to learn, to take their lumps, to succeed and fail and come out the other side of both, then they become interesting.

SQUEAKY-VOICED GIRLS!! :D

...well, at least that's what my BF thinks about Michelle, Vanessa, and their ilk. (He can do a mean parody of Avril Lavigne!) I've gotta agree with him there!! None of these new singer-songwriter types really impress me all that much; they seem like a third-rate version of Alanis. Give me a Tori, a PJ, or a Beth Orton any day!

~LadyLemon~ said:
Those first 2 girls sound exactly the same....but it's better than that slutty brittney and christina bullshit.

:yes: :yes:

And may I add that not only do they sound exactly the same, they suck also? :eyebrow:

Although I hope that Michelle, Vanessa, and Avril evolve into better and talented musicians, I get the feeling that they're just one step up from Britney & Co. They play instruments and write their own music so they have more credibility, but from what I've heard their lyrics and music are pretty bad. It would be nice if they could stick around and improve, but it's probably just a passing trend.

lol..oh the unexpsoed...

I need to comprise a LONG list or website someday for female musicians. The ones I can come up with quickly now I'd say are:

*Kate Bush* Progressive and known well esp with Peter Gabriel
Paula Cole same as above
Fiona Apple
PJ Harvey
Bjork
Enya
Mira
Alicia Keys
Lauryn Hill
Jaye Foucher
Lana Lane
Michelle Young

Bands with female musicians (primarily singers)
Renaissance (with Annie Haslam on vox)
Equinox
Halloween
Ken Baird with Sue Fraser
Sinkadus
Nexus
White Willow
Persephone's Dream
Cobweb Strange (along with 5 out of 6 other bands at the Rogue Independent Music festival in Atl this weekend)
Anekdoten
Par Lindh Project
Mastermind
The Gathering
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Theater Of Tragedy
Power Symphony

Dixie Chix
Martina Mcbride

[color=royal blue]1. When the heck is Fiona gonna have a new CD?

2. Saw Sheryl Crow's new video. Single is "Steve McQueen" :drool:
[/color]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom