Wimmens in Music part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pop will eat itself

dsmith2904 said:

That's my main gripe with the music industry right now is that young artists get one album, sometimes only one single, to prove themselves. U2 showed a lot of promise with "Boy" and worked and learned and toured and practiced and grew to get to the point they are now. Today's up-and-comers don't have that luxury, they throw together their first album, maybe tour, then it's straight into the studio to make a second album and if that doesn't sell as well or better than the first, they're out.
We all know that "October" was not as financially or critically successful as "Boy," so under today's screwed up record company rules U2 might have never been able to make "War." So sad!
Artists need to be able to grow, to learn, to take their lumps, to succeed and fail and come out the other side of both, then they become interesting.

Exactly. Couldn?t have been said any better. And worse: nowadays it?s often only one album, which needs to sell 5-10 mil copies, that?s an act.

btw: J Records and artist development - any difference?

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:

She busted down the doors for women in the entertainment industry who didn't want to play by male record execs or society's rules. She advanced the art of showmanship and what it means to represent yourself. She rewrote the book on what could get people's attention musically and visually and still be relevant.

Well, partly I am your opinion. Sure, Madonna changed some rules, but she played her game well. It is still male record execs and society rules. Then, Madonnas Maverick Records are responsible for Alanis?long pause. So, you could say, after she?s learned the tricks, she conformed herself to the male version of power, even if she is female. This has not much to do with feminism - in my opinion.

On the other hand, she absolutely is an artist. A very gifted dancer. Professional dancers admire her for her effectivity in training. She is perfect in marketing herself, in adjusting her image. And she can sing. Ok, she?s far from being a second Ella, and only her last two, three albums are interesting in terms of sounds (William Orbit is my man!!!),... and she lost some of her style in the last years, I dare say. But she?s still Madonna, right?

Back
Top Bottom