Wimbledon 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
No thread yet? :tsk: Talk about a tournament of upsets!

1. Sharapova :)yuck:) is defeated in round two by Kudryavtseva (ranked 154th) in straight sets
  2. World number one, Ivanovic, is defeated in round three by Zheng (ranked 133rd) in straight sets
  3. Djokovic, winner of the 2008 Australian Open and ranked 3rd in the world, is defeated in round two by Safin (ranked 75th) in straight sets
  4. Roddick, ranked 6th in the world, is defeated in round two by Tipsarevic (ranked 40th)

Absolutely mad! I'm thoroughly looking forward to tomorrow's big matches...Federer vs Hewitt, Murray vs Gasquet, and Serena Williams vs Mattek (who is doing surprisingly well, defeating Bartoli in the third round).

Totally forgot about a thread for this!

Sharapova :)drool::wink:) just didnt find her game and she's been pretty poor for a while now from what i've seen. She really seems to be having a problem with her serve.

I'm glad Murray is still around for the last 16 and I really hope he can make it through. Gasquet hasn't had a great year but you never know what can happen.

I'm going for Federer and one of the Williams sisters as the eventual winners. Probably Venus but i'd prefer Serena. :up:

Wimbledon is such a beautiful tournament. I love everything about it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch much of it this year...

Also, Andy Roddick (by FAR my favorite tennis player) was eliminated early so I'm a little bit angry about that. His career trajectory overall has disappointed me to no end.

Fuckin Federer. That glorious asshole. If he wasn't around, Roddick would have close to 10 Grand Slam trophies...instead he only has one. :angry:

Oh yeah and Maria Sharapova is hot. Very hot. too bad about her, too.

Also, Andy Roddick (by FAR my favorite tennis player) was eliminated early so I'm a little bit angry about that. His career trajectory overall has disappointed me to no end.

Fuckin Federer. That glorious asshole. If he wasn't around, Roddick would have close to 10 Grand Slam trophies...instead he only has one. :angry:

:lmao: I'm sorry but that is insane. Roddick is a terribly undermotivated and undisciplined tennis player. You are assuming he is better than Djokovic, Nadal, Baghdatis and so many other during his career.

:lmao: I'm sorry but that is insane. Roddick is a terribly undermotivated and undisciplined tennis player. You are assuming he is better than Djokovic, Nadal, Baghdatis and so many other during his career.

Are you laughing at me Screwtape? Because I like Andy Roddick?

I will not stand for that. Gimme a fucking break.

This aggression will not stand!

Over the line!

Mark it 8, Smokey, or you're about to enter a world of pain.

Are you laughing at me Screwtape? Because I like Andy Roddick?

I will not stand for that. Gimme a fucking break.

This aggression will not stand!

Over the line!

Mark it 8, Smokey, or you're about to enter a world of pain.

I'm not laughing at you about anything. You can like whoever you want. It is your statement that Roddick would win all these majors with Federer out of the way that made me laugh.

I respect that people like who they like. I can't stand the Williams sisters especially Serena but it is awesome that others like Aardvark and GG do. :up:

Henman was never good enough to win whilst the likes of sampras, agassi, rafter and krajicek were around. although i am convinced he would have beaten ivanicevic on that day it got rained off in the semi final.

will be interesting to see if safin can keep his game up for the next week. got a feeling nadal is starting to find his feet on grass but federer is still the obvious favourite.

I know who I'm rooting for

serenacatsuit.jpg

Though I'd be happy if Venus won. Can't get too into men's tennis since Agassi, and Federer is so dominant on anything but clay that a lot of the suspense just isn't there. I like him though, and he's a hell of a player.

Nadal should do better against Youzhny this year than last, i'm thinking 3 tight but straight sets.

Tipsarevic is very cool though, his press conferences are very 'deep', discussing philosophy and what is 'reality'...gave a few at the Aussie open earlier in the year as well when he almost knocked Fed out.

Gasquet I think may beat Murray. Safin if he gets to the semis will meet Fed which could either be an excellent match or a damp squib...I still really can't see past a Fed vs Rafa final again, with Nadal shading it this year but we'll see.

Great fightback from murray there!

don't know if he's got enough to beat Nadal but he's proved his fitness today.

I think Murray might of won round the Tim fanbase with that performance

He's such a different character to Tim. I thought about that when he celebrated at the end. Henman was much much a calmer performer, but the crowd love to see the player they've come to cheer really get into it and shout out a few "COME ON's" with the fist in the air movement!

An all Williams final looking a bit more likely after yesterday :up:

An all Williams final looking a bit more likely after yesterday :up:

I hope you're right about that! The last all-Williams final was wonderful. It's always a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me when they go head-to-head, though, because I'm such a big fan of both of them and want them both to win!

Federer v. Safin should be good. As for Nadal's upcoming match...yawn. I haven't even heard of Schuettler or Clement, and I keep fairly up to date with tennis. I'm certain that Nadal will be able to handle either one of them (even though I wish he wouldn't - grr, I can't stand him), so it looks like we'll have another boring/predictable men's final.

Edit: Forgot to mention this - it's always so nice to see a wildcard doing so well! I can't believe Zheng has made it to the semifinals. 133rd in the world! I obviously hope (and expect) that Serena will beat her, but well done to her for coming as far as she has. It would be amazing if she somehow managed to make it into the final draw.

NO one can come close to matching Nadal or Federer. The finals are predictable, but won't be boring.

Back
Top Bottom