Wimbledon 2006 appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonsai

The Fly
I know whenever the World Cup or European Championships are on everyone ignores Wimbledon, but I really don't think it's fair to completely ignore it.

I love tennis and I love Wimbledon. For those who missed it in 2004, as they were too busy watching Portugal 04, you missed a pretty thrilling women's final, whereby a Russian underdog beat the mighty Serena Williams, or what about the controversy when a young Croatian player knocked out Venus Williams after a controversial discision by the umpire?

Goran Ivenisevic made a comeback, his first and last, since his thrilling win in 2001. (I haven't been a fan for Tennis for many years but even the comentator said that has to be the most exciting game of tennis he's ever seen throughout his years a sports presenter).

And come on guys, surely the women are far more attractive than Wayne Rooney! I don't know whether Anna Kornekova is playing this year (when will she ever win a tornement) but they are plenty of other fit players in littles skirts for you to drool over.

Aren't the Wimbledon and World Cup finals on the same day this year?

But yes. I'll be watching Wimbledon. I enjoy the World Cup, but watching Wimbledon is tradition for me.

Now that Goran Ivenisevic has offically retired don't you think he should join MacCinroe (sorry for the spelling :der: ) and Becker in the commentary stands. We loved him in England after his win in 2001! He was in front of all the newspapers for days afterwards, there was a Tonight Special on the TV about his life history. In 2004, people of all creeds were holding up banners with his name on. When he went out he put on the Croatian NT football shirt on (England had just beaten Croatia in the football), and the crowd just booed in a jocular manner. :happy:

He became an honery Brit! :wink:

He's got as much charisma as Macinroe and Becker. I really think the BBC should give him a job as Wimbeldon sports presenter

:hyper:

Originally posted by the rockin Edge

i think they are, but they wont be at the same time.

Even if they do clash, British weather being like it is always means that play is stopped when it rains, and this means many of the games are postponed.

bonsai said:

Even if they do clash, British weather being like it is always means that play is stopped when it rains, and this means many of the games are postponed.

they wont clash, the world cup final is at 7PM English time. they dont play the tennis final that late.

Last edited:
Go World Cup!

Screw Wimbledon!

(well, not really, but I kinda like the World Cup better... plus, we know that Federer will win it all...).

I do like wimbledon , always thought the games are pretty exciting , and it seems that the grass is harder , but yeah who doubts Roger will win this one more ?

bonsai said:
Now that Goran Ivenisevic has offically retired don't you think he should join MacCinroe (sorry for the spelling :der: ) and Becker in the commentary stands. We loved him in England after his win in 2001! He was in front of all the newspapers for days afterwards, there was a Tonight Special on the TV about his life history. In 2004, people of all creeds were holding up banners with his name on. When he went out he put on the Croatian NT football shirt on (England had just beaten Croatia in the football), and the crowd just booed in a jocular manner. :happy:

He became an honery Brit! :wink:

He's got as much charisma as Macinroe and Becker. I really think the BBC should give him a job as Wimbeldon sports presenter

:hyper:

How can you not love Goran...good Goran, bad Goran...teletubbies:happy:

He had such a great personailty, plus that final was just unbelievable, the most intense game of tennis i've ever seen...I did feel sorry for Rafter though, but Goran was a very very deserving winner and it was great to see him back in 2004 even though it was for only a few games, he had the right to be able to defend his title eventually!

My 2nd fav annual sporting event apart from last day of the prem.

I think Murray will go far this time.

I hope Murray does well too.
Is Tim Henman going to play this year? I have no clue - I only follow tennis during Wimbledon (unless Federer is playing, but that is for other reasons beyond tennis:wink: )

Wow! This is my first time posting in a sport thread but anyway i always watch Wimbledon&i hope for Andy Murray to win one year(Or even more!) :hyper: :rockon: he's an exciting player to watch too!

I'm glad to see there are some of you in England who can cheer a Scot on but i'd also still love for Timmy to win! I believe he is playing but it looks like he only has 1 or 2 years left :(

susanp6 said:
Wow! This is my first time posting in a sport thread but anyway i always watch Wimbledon&i hope for Andy Murray to win one year(Or even more!) :hyper: :rockon: he's an exciting player to watch too!

I'm glad to see there are some of you in England who can cheer a Scot on but i'd also still love for Timmy to win! I believe he is playing but it looks like he only has 1 or 2 years left :(

tiger timmy is edging closer to the end of the line i believe he is 73 rd in the world and is suffering from injury badly.

if he doesnt make it this year he will retire i think.

vaz02 said:

tiger timmy is edging closer to the end of the line i believe he is 73 rd in the world and is suffering from injury badly.

if he doesnt make it this year he will retire i think.

Well andy murray is out there.

beau2ifulday said:

wait, wait - was it you whom I lovingly argued with about Federer last year?

:hmm:

:yes:

Roddick lover :angry: :kiss:

but really, you can't seriously argue that Federer isn't the best on grass. he's won wimbledon 3 years in a row & last year he only lost one set!

i just hope for a finalist other than Roddick this year, Fed vs Rod is so boring :yawn:

but really, you can't seriously argue that Federer isn't the best on grass. he's won wimbledon 3 years in a row & last year he only lost one set!

Exactly! In 2004 the women's final was far more exciting than the mens because the underdog beat the fantastic Serena Williams. I like it when similar scenerio's happen in football also.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wiliams sisters, I think they are true icons in tennis for not only women, but more importantly, black women who come from poor backgrounds. There is a real underepresentation of underpriveledged youngsters (it's still regarded as a posh sport in Britain) and black people in tennis.

But it's still nice for an underdog to win occasionally. Remember when that other guy won for almost 5 years in a row during the 90's (I forget his name :der: )? I think it makes the sport stronger if it's not always dominated by a few individuals/teams. That is what happening with football right now, which Greece proved when they won Euro 2004

bonsai said:

Exactly! In 2004 the women's final was far more exciting than the mens because the underdog beat the fantastic Serena Williams. I like it when similar scenerio's happen in football also.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Wiliams sisters, I think they are true icons in tennis for not only women, but more importantly, black women who come from poor backgrounds. There is a real underepresentation of underpriveledged youngsters (it's still regarded as a posh sport in Britain) and black people in tennis.

But it's still nice for an underdog to win occasionally. Remember when that other guy won for almost 5 years in a row during the 90's (I forget his name :der: )? I think it makes the sport stronger if it's not always dominated by a few individuals/teams. That is what happening with football right now, which Greece proved when they won Euro 2004

i have never been able to get interested in ladies tennis :slant: not sure why really :shrug: maybe cause half the top players seem more interested in modeling than playing tennis.

i do enjoy watching Federer on grass to some degree, his shot making is breath taking but competition is always great :up:

if you want good competition, watch the french open this year. Nadal & Federer are having quite the battle on clay....Nadal won in 5+ hours in a 5th set tie-break in Rome on Sunday. Fed had 2 match points in the game too...

im the best grass player in the world . FACT

sorry david brent must stay away from my keyboard.

Who is the top female player in the world at this moment ?

:slant: uh not for a while..

womens tennis top 10:

1 MAURESMO, AMELIE, FRA
2 CLIJSTERS, KIM, BEL
3 PETROVA, NADIA, RUS
4 SHARAPOVA, MARIA, RUS
5 HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE , BEL
6 PIERCE, MARY, FRA
7 DAVENPORT, LINDSAY, USA
8 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA , RUS
9 SCHNYDER, PATTY, SUI
10 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA, RUS