Wimbledon 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LJT

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Henman Hill continues to exist with Murray out injured...so far the match between Moya and Tim looks like it might already be the match of the tournament, unfortunately now postponed til tomorrow due to bad light..

Federer went through easily enough as did Roddick...Nadal to play tomorrow.

Henman's match was great until the postponement. I hope he goes through, I'm tired of being disappointed every year. From memory I think Henman usually does poorly the next day after a match being postponed, usually because of weather.

Centre Court looks odd with the roof gone. Can't wait for the finished product for 2009!

I think it looks kinda cool open top, makes it seem absolutely massive.

The English media and people always seemed so harsh on Henman, he was a top 10 player for a hell of a long time, and you don't get there by being 'Timid Tim'. Most players would have killed to have had his career.

This is what kills tennis for me. There's no surprises in the men's draw... Federer is never challenged up until at least the semis, and even then he still wins.

I'm flying my flag for The GOOCH!

I'm sat here with my Robinson's Wimbledon Lemon Barley water watching Tim make a meal of it against Moya. It's a great match but I don't think my nerves can take it!

haha I know, you didn't see the Newcastle fan at the match yesterday?...Henman did come good though...hopefully he does well against Lopez.

TheQuiet1 said:
By the way, I LOVE the "Oooooooooh" noise from the crowd every time Hawkeye is used :lol:

That was hilarious when I first saw it.

So Henman is level 1-1 with Lopez and will be playing a fourth consecutive day the poor bugger. His match will continue Thurs at 1300 BST which is unfortunately 5 in the bloody morning here!

For the Henman fans out there, here is a mask from BBC you can download - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/bsp/hi/tennis/pdf/henman.pdf

:sigh:

Poor Tiger Tim. I support him every year, only to be disappointed. That mask is fantastic though.

The Tipsarevic vs Gonzalez match was awesome...Tip played quite well in what was a very see-saw match...he looks like he belongs in a metal band with his tattoos and piercings...plus his tatto quoting Dostoyevsky 'Beauty will save the world' is quite cool.

Poor Serena! :( I was in tears when I saw her crying. Several women in the spectators stands were bawling as well. What a fighter Serena is. Thank heavens for the rain delay... I hope it's just cramps and not a strain.

Screwtape2 said:

The worst part was seeing Venus with her head in her hands. : (

And her mother crying...

Wow, Serena, just wow. :ohmy: I cannot believe this. That has to be one of the most impressive comebacks I have ever witnessed at Wimbledon over the past six years. How did she do it?!

GibsonGirl said:

And her mother crying...

Wow, Serena, just wow. :ohmy: I cannot believe this. That has to be one of the most impressive comebacks I have ever witnessed at Wimbledon over the past six years. How did she do it?!

The Williams sisters are impressive. Serena just willed herself to a victory or should I say Richard did? :wink: That was so passionate. It was like Venus's 1st Round match. Maria, Justine and the Williams sisters are so talented that they can just will themselves to a victory. :applaud: Nice Serena! I hope she is okay through the rest of the tournament.

She should have lost to Alicia Molik. :grmupy:

The Gooch was so damn friggin' close to knocking off the world number seven. SEVEN!!! :rant:

Wayne Arthurs :drool:

Soderling was playing excellently against Nadal....need to see how that concludes today....the schedule is extremely messed up with the rain delays.

I'm glad Mauresmo's finally won a few, but I was going for Vaidisova. :up:

I honestly can't believe how far behind they are in the matches. Well I believe it, but it's sort of crazy. I just want to see how the Nadal-Soderling match turns out! :crazy:

They have had to start that match 8 times so far....wettest wimbledon since 1982 apparently....lookingat it going on to a third Monday.

Any more rain delays will send the tournament into a third week....

Venus Williams giggled and hopped on her toes Wednesday, looking for like a kid who just won her first match than a veteran who just beat Maria Sharapova in a showdown of Grand Slam champions at Wimbledon's Centre Court.
Up in the player's guest box, Williams' father jumped for joy, too, thrusting his arms in the air repeatedly.
Two hours later, the setting and the family were the same, yet the mood was far more subdued. Younger sister Serena shuffled off to the locker room, having lost to #1 Justine Henin in the quarterfinals at a second consecutive major.
What could have been another wonderful day for the Williams clan was only half so: after three-time Wimbledon champion overwhelmed Sharapova 6-1, 6-3, two-time Wimbledon champion Serena couldn't overcome her own poor health or a determined Henin in a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 defeat.
"I wasn't even sure if I was going to go out and play" said Serena, who played with tape on her left calf and thumb, both injured in her dramatic fourth-round victory Monday. "if I had been healthy, I think I woulld have won, 100%."
Managing to slightly more gracious than after losing to Henin at the French Open.....meanwhile Andy Roddick is having a tough schedule. He's going to have to play Roger Federer again. This guy is never going to win Wimbledon.

final three sets to win 4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-2.

"After the first two sets, the next three sets maybe I play my best game on grass in my life," Nadal said.

Venus Williams had a much easier time Thursday, playing outstanding tennis to reach the semifinals by beating No. 5 Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-4. Williams will next face French Open finalist Ana Ivanovic, who defeated No. 14 Nicole Vaidisova 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.

Ivanovic saved three match points and beginning with the last one, won 13 of 15 points. That sent her on her way to taking the match's last four games. It ended when Vaidisova double-faulted for the sixth time.

"I knew I could do it," Ivanovic said. "I knew I could make some good shots and be aggressive and move forward and put pressure."

Play was suspended for the day with four-time defending champion Roger Federer and No. 20 Juan Carlos Ferrero still in the first set of their quarterfinal. Federer was serving at deuce at 5-5.

No. 3 Andy Roddick and No. 12 Richard Gasquet took the court to warm up but never started.

Youzhny, one of only three players to have beaten Nadal twice in the last year, struggled midway through his match with lower-back pain.

He called for a trainer after losing the third set. Lying on his stomach, the Russian got his back massaged. After the fifth game of the fourth set, he was again on the ground, with the trainer stretching his back.

Tennis: Henin stunned in Wimbledon semifinals by Bartoli
WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - Justine Henin will have to wait another year to try and complete a career Grand Slam after being stunned in the Wimbledon semifinals by Marion Bartoli. Bartoli ran the top-ranked Henin around the court over the final two sets, using incredible accuracy to come back from a set and break down to win 1-6, 7-5, 6-1 Friday. "A match can turn easily," Bartoli said. "On a good day, I can beat everybody, and I proved it today." Bartoli will face Venus Williams in Saturday's final. The three-time Wimbledon champion beat No. 6 Ana Ivanovic 6-2, 6-4. The No. 31 Williams and the No. 19 Bartoli are the two lowest ranked women to reach the Wimbledon final since the computer rankings began in 1975. In the men's draw, four-time defending champion Roger Federer, No. 2 Rafael Nadal, No. 4 Novak Djokovic and No. 12 Richard Gasquet reached the semifinals. Gasquet upset No. 3 Andy Roddick 4-6, 4-6, 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3), 8-6 and will play Federer next. Henin, who lost to Amelie Mauresmo in last year's final, won her third straight French Open title last month. She broke to take a 4-3 lead in the second set, but Bartoli broke back in the next game and then again with Henin serving to force a tiebreaker. 062133 jul 07GMT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom