Will Town Be Drinking Toilet Water ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Toilet to Tap? San Jose Probes Plan
By Associated Press
Tue Sep 25, 9:13 PM

SAN JOSE, Calif. - With water shortages a possibility looming in the state's future, this city's starting to look at what it would take to turn sewage back into water that's pure enough to drink.

"This is a homegrown resource. It is the most reliable supply you can have," said Eric Rosenblum, division manager for San Jose's South Bay Water Recycling Project.

The Santa Clara Valley Water District and the city of San Jose are partnering in initial discussions of the potentially controversial idea.

If they can get the public to support the plan, millions of gallons of purified waste water could one day be pumped back into the aquifers the county now relies on for half of its drinking water. The other half comes from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River delta.

Officials noted that technology exists to treat sewage water using methods such as reverse osmosis, microfiltration and ultraviolet light, and render it pure enough to meet California drinking water standards. But they also explained the idea is still in its initial phase, and a final, detailed proposal isn't expected until next year.

Some water districts in the state have already moved ahead with similar projects.

The Orange County Water District will inaugurate in November a plant that will recycle up to 70 million gallons of waste water a day, then use it to recharge drinking water aquifers.

But in some areas where the process was proposed the plans were derided as sending water from "toilet to tap" and the public wasn't interested.

"What we don't want to end up with is what's happened in other areas where you have fear and politics cause a backlash," said Keith Whitman, water supply manager for the Santa Clara Valley Water District, promising to take a cautious approach.

The water you drink now was once whizzed in by the dinosaurs.

The purifying works, and it's better for the environment, suck it up imo.

^As you say, the water we drink now has been through a fair amount of bodies...as long as it's clean I really wouldn't care.

I've gone skiing in our river past the waste water treatment plant (pumps all the treated water into the river). We already use lots of bio-technologies and the UV thing mentioned in the article. The water was fine, not tap quality, but I'm sure I got enough of it in my mouth and I didn't get sick. If they have further measures to make it tap quality, I don't really care where it comes from.

It turns my stomach to even *think* about recycling toilet water, no matter how much it's treated. Whatever happened to making sea/ocean water drinkable?

Does anyone really think the water we're drinking now hasn't been "recycled" many times before? :huh:

Originally posted by indra
Does anyone really think the water we're drinking now hasn't been "recycled" many times before? :huh:

That's probably true ... but we're talking about the toilet here.
Who wants to drink water that has been purified from there ... I don't. :yikes:
I'll stick with Spring water, thank-you. :up:

Carek1230 said:
Whatever happened to making sea/ocean water drinkable?
Desalination on a scale that a large city would need requires a HUGE amount of energy and money. It's really, really, really an energy hog.

So yeah, the civic authorities will always look at ways of working with fresh water or reclaimed water.

I don't care if it's been toilet water previously as long as it's properly filtered. If a water test says that the water is of drinkable standards after filtering, than it may have well come from anywhere.

They're considering this in Australia too. The whole country has been in drought for years.

Where I live we have pretty tough water restrictions. No car or window washing, no watering plants or pretty much anything to do with the hose. We're urged to take 2 min showers, be strict with washing machines etc. It's really common to see people collecting rain water (when it happens) in their wheely bins so they can water the gardens.

If purifying water can help save the farmers and all sorts of industries then I think people should just get over themselves.

^ Hopefully it will be a last resort to DRINK it....but to use it on the garden and flushing the loo and stuff is fine.

My kids have never played with a sprinkler.....do you remember those days? Top days.....it would be soooo hot and Mum used to put the sprinkler on, and all the neighbours kids used to come running.

Another thought just crossed my mind about this.

Wouldn't it be rather difficult to filter or purify the toilet water if it has toilet bowl cleaners in it ??
(such as: those Vanish, Borax, or Clorox tablets) You know, those drop-ins that make the water BLUE colored. :hmm:

Now, I wouldn't be too quick to believe they could completely remove all those toxic poisons. :tsk:
That's another concern for us drinking this type of water. :yikes:

I'm completely comfortable with this if the processes are used.

And the ocean is much costlier to purify than toilet water.

All of you who are protesting do realize that in many places, the sewer systems are not separate, thus when it rains sewage is released right back into water sources....only to get sucked back up into the public water supply.

Not to gross you all out but you've been drinking toilet water for years.

And even if your sewers are segregated as to keep sewage and rainwater separate, do you think my toilet water can't flow downstream to your water source?

Back
Top Bottom