Wilco rocked my soul Saturday night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
And I mean ROCKED for 2 hours and 20 minutes. It was just so friggin fantastic I can hardly stand it. Every song, without exception, was better live than on the record. I cannot tell you the shockwaves of unbridled joy that went through my body when the jam kicked in on "Kidsmoke" which is not even my favorite song on "A Ghost is Born" but live it was just mindblowing. And during songs like (my favorite) "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" it occured to me that they are sort've like the American Radiohead--they've totally got that mad scientist thing going on onstage. The band is so amazing, so versatile, and a complete joy to watch and hear (the new guitar player is awesome and I don't miss the old band). It didn't hurt that I was in the second row center. :) It was bliss.

Hands down, my vote for best American band and after this show, they easily took their rightful place right alongside U2 and Radiohead as one of my top 3 favorite bands of all time.

:heart:

Augie March opened the show and he was good except that he and his band were seriously lacking in anything even remotely resembling personality, stage presence or human emotion. If the band weren't so tight I'd wonder if they had a pulse.

I caught them in St. Louis in September...these guys are so amazing. And how fucking cool was Spiders live???

:drool:

~LadyLemon~ said:
I caught them in St. Louis in September...these guys are so amazing. And how fucking cool was Spiders live???

:drool:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I always call it Kidsmoke for some reason. :drool: :crazy:

Funny story...some girl appeared onstage from the wings and started doing the Ashlee Simpson jig. Everyone was laughing but Tweedy didn't know she was onstage. Suddenly he looked over and there she was right beside him and the look on his face was priceless. After the song, he said, "Man, that scared the PISS outta me. Seriously, I think I wet myself. It's not often that a woman appears on the Wilco stage and when it happens, it's usually planned in advance, but I guess we do need a little help with dancing and choreography and all that. Too bad she was deranged." And then later in the show he said, "I mean, you guys saw her, too, right?!" :lol:

Last edited:
Did he do his fun little jogging dance during Hummingbird? That cracks my shit up.

they're on letterman tonite??? great, thanks for the headsup. good to hear you had a good time too. :up:

Zoomerang96 said:
they're on letterman tonite??? great, thanks for the headsup. good to hear you had a good time too. :up:

Leno, not Letterman!

~LadyLemon~ said:
Did he do his fun little jogging dance during Hummingbird? That cracks my shit up.

Yes! It's like he doesn't know what to do with himself when he doesn't have a guitar in his hands, lol.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the BEAUTIFUL images projected on the screen throughout the show. Great artistic director.

Fantastic, Ive only seen them once and it was last summer before Ghost was released. They did play Company in my Back however.
Anyway, glad your top 3 mirrors my own.....

:up:

leno, right.

any idea which song they'll play? i'm guessing 'at least that's what you said' would be more than a little kick ass. :sexywink:

No clue what they'll play. They played Theologians on Conan a couple of months ago. I hope it's At Least That's What You said which would totally kick ass but they might go with something like Muzzle of Bees.

It grew on me and was great live, but not one of my favorites either. I'm a Wheel is one of my least favorite Wilco songs (I always skip it) but it, too, was great live. Still, I'd rather hear just about anything else from Ghost than those two on Leno tonight.

joyfulgirl said:

great minds... :sexywink:

right there with you two. would love them to play hell is chrome or the late greats.

a ghost is born is brilliant!

When the devil came
he was not red
He was chrome
and he said
come with me

Last edited:
U2ME3 said:

right there with you two. would love them to play hell is chrome or the late greats.

a ghost is born is brilliant!

When the devil came
he was not red
He was chrome
and he said
come with me

They didn't play Hell is Chrome at the show I saw, which was a disappointment, but the thing is, I love so many Wilco songs that they couldn't possibly have played them all and there are hardly any Wilco songs I don't like so it was all good.

So did the crowd at the show. And with everyone singing along and getting into it I wondered what had taken me so long, too.

what dong did they play? i missed it. anywhere to download it?

why don't they have any music videos anyway? <_<

I'm a Wheel. :|

That wasn't even worth waiting up for. Who is going to buy the record after seeing that? That song is like a bad McCartney/Wings song. I guess they have to go with what their time slot allows. Oh well.

Yeah, that's probably my least favorite song on the album...it's like they're trying to be the replacements. Wings? That seems a bit harsh :sexywink:

Yeah, I guess Wings was a little harsh, lol, but it truly sounds like a Wings song to me.

I just read that bassist John Stirratt's first band was a U2 cover band. Isn't that sweet. :wink:

Another fantastic Wilco show Tuesday night. They just blow me away.

Setlist:

1. Muzzle Of Bees Muzzle Of Bees
2. Hell Is Chrome
3. Kamera
4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
5. At Least That's What You Said
6. Hummingbird
7. A Shot In The Arm
8. Jesus, Etc.
9. Remember The Mountain Bed
10. Handshake Drugs
11. Ashes Of American Flags
12. War On War
13. Theologians
14. I'm The Man Who Loves You
15. Poor Places
16. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Encore 1:
17. Another Man's Done Gone
18. When The Roses Bloom Again
19. Kingpin
20. I'm A Wheel
21. The Late Greats

Encore 2:
22. Candyfloss
23. Hesitating Beauty
24. California Stars

I'll be seeing U2 in Chicago next Saturday, and I'm hoping to see Wilco on Friday. Tickets sold out immediately (I could not get a damned thing) so my friend and I are hoping to get ticekts the night of the show.

california stars :drool:

~LadyLemon~ said:
I'll be seeing U2 in Chicago next Saturday, and I'm hoping to see Wilco on Friday. Tickets sold out immediately (I could not get a damned thing) so my friend and I are hoping to get ticekts the night of the show.

california stars :drool:

I also saw U2 and Wilco within the same 7 day period. :crazy:

The Chicago shows must be wild. Wilco did not sell out Abq and the audience energy was a bit too laid back. I'd love to see them in Chicago sometime. Four sold out nights! I'm sure you'll get a ticket. I think tickets are always available to just about anything night of the show.

24 songs?! That's pretty dang awesome. They seem to really treat their fans well (long setlists, free songs with the albums, etc) I dig that :up:

joyfulgirl said:

I also saw U2 and Wilco within the same 7 day period. :crazy:

The Chicago shows must be wild. Wilco did not sell out Abq and the audience energy was a bit too laid back. I'd love to see them in Chicago sometime. Four sold out nights! I'm sure you'll get a ticket. I think tickets are always available to just about anything night of the show.

Yep, Wilco and U2 2 days in a row. If all works out right with Wilco, here is my concert schedule for next week:

Wed-- Ryan Adams (house of blues, cleveland)

Fri-- Wilco (the vic, chicago)

Sat-- Kings of Leon/U2 (united center--i'm stoked for kings of leon)

Tues-- Garbage (the agora, cleveland)

I'm think my head may explode in a very good way.

:hyper:

~LadyLemon~ said:

Yep, Wilco and U2 2 days in a row. If all works out right with Wilco, here is my concert schedule for next week:

Wed-- Ryan Adams (house of blues, cleveland)

Fri-- Wilco (the vic, chicago)

Sat-- Kings of Leon/U2 (united center--i'm stoked for kings of leon)

Tues-- Garbage (the agora, cleveland)

I'm think my head may explode in a very good way.

:hyper:

:lol: :up:
My concert schedule over a 10 day period, ending with Wilco on Tuesday, was:

U2 3x
Tori Amos
Wilco
and next week Bruce Springsteen
:combust:

Nothing going on for the rest of year so far but wow, what a trip I've had, from the heat in Phoenix to the hail in Denver, and I've got the strep throat to prove it!

Next year I secretly hope no one I love will tour except Radiohead so that I can just go on tour with them without the stress of getting tickets to see everyone I love at the same time like I did this year.

Back
Top Bottom