Wilco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i grabbed it yesterday too. it's really great and a new sound for them. i love it!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I have the 2 CDs they did with Billy Bragg, covering Woody Guthrie songs.

Good start, but not nearly enough. Their three most recent albums are magnificent (and AM is pretty fun, too.)

I've always known about Wilco, but only really "discovered" them for myself about a year ago. They now essentially complete my troika of favorite bands (Beatles, Wilco, and U2...next are beach boys and big star if you are curious.)

YHF is definitely a fantastic record, but my favorite Wilco disk remains Summerteeth, which, along with Abbey Road and Achtung Baby, is my favorite album ever.

u2bama, judging from your recent posts about the "o brother..." soundtrack. I'd certainly suggest Being There next for you...You'll fall in love with it after a few listens, guaranteed. This is so guaranteed that I'll repay you the cash if you don't like it
wink.gif

well there's my Wilco spiel...truly a transcendant band.

(quick p.s. for diamond #9: I'm gonna see if i can get bono to start covering Jesus, etc.
wink.gif
)

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 04-24-2002).]

mug222:

I do intend to acquire more of their collection; I heard a good bit of their stuff during college, along with Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo. Jeff Tweedy is quite talented himself. Generally, I like the Americana/roots rock/ alt country genres that maintain a decent following these days.

By the way, did you ever get any Grateful Dead music? It seems I recall you having an interest in giving them a listen awhile back.

~U2Alabama

Oh, I did forget to thank you for your tips, didn't I? Yeah, I bought American Beauty and Workingman's Dead; the typical choices, yes, but they're terrific and I listen to them constantly. I'll soon branch out into Dick's Picks and the like. Thanks for the suggestions!

As for alt-country: I've seemed to follow the evolution of Wilco's sound backwards, and so only recently began listening to their true alt-country records (I'd be hard-pressed to call anything after Summerteeth "alt country"). Anyway, I just picked up the Uncle Tupelo anthology and I really like it. I must say, however, I'm glad Farrar and Tweedy split: Tweedy soon found his own voice in Wilco, and what a voice. I can confidently proclaim him (in my mind) the best songwriter of the 90s.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 04-24-2002).]

As far as the Dead's studio albums, those are indeed the best two. And it leads me back to Wilco: if those 2 albums came out today, they would be in that same genre with Wilco, whatever it's name of the week is. That goes for a lot of the 60s and 70s music I still listen to frequently: The Band, early 70s Eagles/Byrds/Poco/Flying Burrito Brothers, and mid to late 70s Clapton. Then the lates 70s and 80s happened and we lost that music for awhile.

Let me know when you venture into the Dead's live catalog and I can point out some gems to look for.

You may also want to check out the new offering from Brute, an occasional collaboration between Athens, GA jamband Widespread Panic and Athens singer-songwriter Vic Chesnutt. It definitely isn't a jam band sound Brute achieves, more of a chill out, dark roots rock. I think their new (2nd) CD came out last week.

~U2Alabama

Its funny, I like a lot of different types of music. But, that country, alt, twang, roots rock really gets me.
Wilco, U T, Tweedy all good in any incarnation. I see some of early Neil Young in that vein too, Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night.. Also some Pavement, and Giant Sand.
Vic Chesnutt, along with a lot of stuff I listen to, is in my opinion an acquired taste. I have seen Chesnutt twice. Great show, entertaining and inspirational.

Btw Wilco is touring now in support recent release. They came through So. Cal. a couple a weeks ago. I think I saw a post by Elvis saying he loved the show. I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom