why is mcdonald's bad for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I mean, I wouldn't eat it every day (cholesteral, saturated fat, etc)

but I probably eat it 2x a month.

best food for a hangover.:drool: :up:

According to the discovery channel their burgers are made up of only 5% meat- the rest is made up of some jelly crap they put in cat/ dog food to give it a meaty taste but i like their chkn burgers :D

I watched the discovery channel once :crack:

..always wondered if they use real eggs in the egg mcmuffins?

McDs is terrible and disgusting! I leaving my job there in 5 days and Im beyond happy! I have plenty of stories to tell you guys but i dont think ya want me to tell you them!

adamswildhoney said:
McDs is terrible and disgusting! I leaving my job there in 5 days and Im beyond happy! I have plenty of stories to tell you guys but i dont think ya want me to tell you them!

yes, I DO want you to tell them!!

come on, SPILL IT!!!!!:eek:

adamswildhoney said:

Actually, please do. I'd love to hear them, and I think reading them would be a good turn-off to people who do eat that food. :)

It's always good to know what you're eating right? I had no idea about the 5% meat thing. Fascinating!! :barf:

wuhaha

you know how they get the milkshakes green on st.patricks day..

Kidding, but their shakes do suck:barf:

or anything containing mechanically separated chicken

I have not eaten a slim jim to this day since that thread :laugh:

I used to like them too :lol:

Last edited:
LogoChick.gif

Re: or anything containing mechanically separated chicken

ABEL said:
I have not eaten a slim jim to this day since that thread :laugh:

Me neither!!!

Mechanically separated chicken?

Well at least it isn't separated by someone's grubby hands.

"MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN is a paste-like and batter-like poultry product produced by forcing bones with attached edible tissue through a sieve or similar device under high pressure to separate bone from the edible tissue. Mechanically separated poultry has been used in poultry products since 1969. In 1995, a final rule on mechanically separated poultry said it would be used without restrictions. However, it must be labeled as 'mechanically separated chicken or turkey' in the ingredients statement. The final rule became effective November 4,1996. "

November 4, starting today poultry products made from tissue that has been mechanically removed from scraps and already stripped carcasses -- the materials are fed through a sieve, to separate and discard most of the bone -- must be labeled as containing "mechanically separated chicken" or "mechanically separated turkey." The purpose of this requirement, mandated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service, is to inform consumers that products processed in this way, including poultry nuggets, patties, frankfurters, and luncheon meats, do not consist simply of ground meat; they may also contain skin, bone, bone marrow, and the kidneys and sex glands of immature birds. The FSIS regulation was prompted in large part by a lawsuit brought against the USDA by manufacturers of red-meat sausages, who, along with other meat producers, have since 1978 been obliged to label mechanically separated beef, lamb, and pork as such.

GAH TISSUE

I am wary of all processed food. What on earth makes deli roast beef look like it has a phosphorescent glow when you shine light on it, it looks like salmon skin or something, that cannot be natural, not too mention certain non-meat products, don't get me started on Cheese Whizz!

Dub said:
What on earth makes deli roast beef look like it has a phosphorescent glow when you shine light on it, it looks like salmon skin or something, that cannot be natural

I always wondered about that too.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Becoming a vegetarian is beginning to look really good to me.

:|

:barf: I know what you mean.

I went almost 2 years without red meat and very little processed foods. I started eating steak again a few months ago and have been eating junk food like there's no tomorrow and I feel like complete crap. This morning I promised myself that this kind of eating needs to stop right now and have gone back to semi-vegetarian, hopefully for good.

Dub said:
What on earth makes deli roast beef look like it has a phosphorescent glow when you shine light on it, it looks like salmon skin or something, that cannot be natural

I think I just found the answer to this (yes I am bored :lol:)

What causes iridescent colors on meats?

Meat contains iron, fat, and other compounds. When light hits a slice of meat, it splits into colors like a rainbow. There are various pigments in meat compounds that can give it an iridescent or greenish cast when exposed to heat and processing. Wrapping the meat in airtight packages and storing it away from light will help prevent this situation. Iridescence does not represent decreased quality or safety of the meat.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/mpcolor.htm

this is good to know that indeed it is natural, lol. :eeklaugh:

I like McDonald's.. :silent: I hate their burgers but love the fries and Mcnugget's.. and the ketchup is good :drool: And I don't really like Chick Fil A.. :banghead:

there is shit in the meat

Read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and you will never eat fast food again.

from salon.com
http://dir.salon.com/books/feature/2001/02/08/schlosser/index.html

Unhappy meals

"Fast Food Nation," a stomach-churning critique of the health and labor practices of the burger business, argues that Americans should change their dietary habits. Good luck.

By Maria Russo

February 08, 2001 | Americans spend more money on fast food than on higher education, personal computers, computer software or new cars. Every month more than 90 percent of American children eat at McDonald's; the average American eats three hamburgers and four orders of french fries every week.

What's in all those hamburgers? They're most likely made from the meat of worn-out dairy cows (generally the least healthy cattle stock), which spend their days packed in feedlots full of pools of manure. Each burger contains parts of dozens or even hundreds of cows, increasing the likelihood that a sick one will spread its pathogens widely.

Until 1997, those cows, by nature designed to be herbivorous, were fed "livestock waste" -- rendered remains of dead sheep and cattle, along with the remains of millions of dead cats and dogs purchased every year from animal shelters. Thank God the law was changed: Now they're fed only the remains of horses, pigs and poultry. And if you think your fries are animal-free, guess again. While McDonald's no longer cooks them in beef tallow, a process that until 1990 gave the chain's french fries more saturated fat per ounce than its burgers, McDonald's still acknowledges that some of the flavor comes from "animal products."

And from another review:
http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books081001.asp

To witness the gruesome business of meat-processing, Schlosser visited slaughterhouses. What he discovered was both repugnant and hazardous. Among the mostly unskilled workforce, severe injuries are common. The meat-processing industry and restaurant chains continually lobby against regulations that would improve worker and food safety. "Anyone who brings raw ground beef into his or her kitchen today must regard it as a potential biohazard," writes Schlosser. High-volume meat production makes it easy for virulent strains of bacteria to travel far and wide. Schlosser minces no words in explaining a major source of contamination. It's simple, he says: "There is shit in the meat."

fastfood_nation.jpg

Last edited:
Excuse me while I hurl. :barf:

Please tell your McDonalds horror stories, adamswildhoney- I want to hear all about the grossness. Maybe it'll make me stop eating fast food permanently.

Back
Top Bottom