why is interference never talking about the rolling stones? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:05 PM
you guys DO realize how old the stones are nowadays, right?

around 70? that they are even still around is quite impressive. to expect them to pick up extreme amounts of teenage-fans is quite ludicrous.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 11:05 AM
Re: Re: why is interference never talking about the rolling stones?

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

If the Stones had any impact is it as inspiring artists to sell out.
Sorry, but this simply is not true, and the testimony of various rock legends confirms it. The Stones were an indelible influence on The Who and Led Zeppelin; both Townshend and Page have went on record as having said this. Furthermore, I seem to remember somewhere in U2 By U2 where Edge also admitted the influence of the Stones on the young band. The Stones were brazen and salacious while the Beatles were still churning out bubble-gum pop, and I suspect that the more suggestive themes of some songs on Rubber Soul and Revolver were a reponse to this element of the Stones' style. Certainly the lyrics of Jim Morrison and Robert Plant also show strong signs of Jagger's influence. Whatever you may think of their current status, the impact of the Stones on rock is undeniable.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
you guys DO realize how old the stones are nowadays, right?

around 70? that they are even still around is quite impressive. to expect them to pick up extreme amounts of teenage-fans is quite ludicrous.

No, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger just turned 63!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

ok, they're heading for their 70s then

the point remains.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Many bands of the time continue to attract new fans but the Stones.
i first got into the stones when i was 17 year old... 1997... with the release of their bridges to babylon album. that's right, a NEW stones album, with some great tunes on it like saint of me and out of control. that got me hooked into their older stuff, not that i didn't know a lot of the songs already, but i've been hooked ever since.

i can only hope that u2 are putting out songs as good as streets of love and rough justice and touring with as much energy when they're 45 years in. they've got 20 more years to go...
Old 01-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:05 AM
They are just fucking badasses, and it shows in their music too.

Their singles have always been great, but their strength has always been making consistently solid albums.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

I cut my teeth on the Stones's music. I was a little kid when I first heard my Dad's records and have loved them ever since.

And LM speaks the truth. They're just fucking badass.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Stones

If I had more money and time (isn't it sad that those two never coincide?) I'd pick up more Stones stuff. Unfortunately 40 Licks is about all I can afford at the moment.

Damn, now I want to listen to them.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's good to see the Stones get some love. They've earned it and they deserve it.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Christ, I wonder why the Stones never get any credit on a U2 board. Some of the comments are just amazing, though.

Saying the Stones are a singles band is basically saying you're woefully uninformed about classic rock. Love in Vain, Live With Me, Let It Bleed, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man are all brilliant and they're all off of one album. Also Tattoo You has one of the coolest album covers to date.

If you slag these guys off because of their live show, you've been conditioned by click-track driven, carefully choreographed live shows of recent decades. Yeah, U2 is a good band, but watch them throw in a ten-minute bluesy jam session in the middle of a classic song? Hell no. Keith and Ronnie Wood have so much chemistry, Charlie Watts is a very underrated drummer as well.

No other lead singer could pull off the total bad-assness of Rip This Joint like Mick Jagger could. Shine a Light is one of the finest album tracks of all time. It's the original Walk On, except not shitty.

The Stones are compared to the greats because no other band exemplifies rock and roll as well as they do. Gritty, playful, mean-spirited, snarling, bluesy, honky-tonk - they cover it all. The Beatles may be the greatest band of all time, but the Stones are the greatest rock band of all time.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

hmm... I guess there is plenty to talk about regarding the Rolling Stones after all.

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
They are just fucking badasses, and it shows in their music too.

Yep. The Rolling Stones showed the world how rock and roll is done. No matter what you think of their music they set that bar. (Canadiens1160's post a couple above me put it very well)

And when I commented I was struck with how boring and dreary it was in my first post in this thread I meant touring, not the band or their songs, especially not at that time. I remember reading someone saying that touring was 22 hours of boredom and drudgery for 2 hours of bliss. For me, Cocksucker Blues certainly showed that to be true.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #58
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i can only hope that u2 are putting out songs as good as streets of love and rough justice and touring with as much energy when they're 45 years in. they've got 20 more years to go...
Amen - I think Bang is one of their best albums since Steel Wheels (maybe better) and Streets of Love is an awesome song - i had to pull off the road when i first heard it - almost wrecked the car - even Bono gave it kudos...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

Yeah, U2 is a good band, but watch them throw in a ten-minute bluesy jam session in the middle of a classic song? Hell no.

No other lead singer could pull off the total bad-assness of Rip This Joint like Mick Jagger could.

The Stones are compared to the greats because no other band exemplifies rock and roll as well as they do. ...the Stones are the greatest rock band of all time.
yep, that about covers it...alright, i won't bitch about the hat...

one more point, Mick still has the voice and I don't remember him missing too many lyrics either...but then again, he's a perfectionist and they practice before the tour...

Long live the Rolling Stones.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

***Warning Recycled Content***

I wound up putting together a comp, covering 1968-1974. This is where the legend of the band really comes from. In this 7 year period, they were as good as or better than anyone in the history of rock music.

It's a remarkable list of songs:

#1:
Rip This Joint
Honky Tonk Women
Tumbling Dice
Dance Little Sister
Street Fighting Man
Star Fucker
Sweet Virginia
Monkey Man
Salt Of The Earth
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Midnight Rambler
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Sweet Black Angel
It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)
Dead Flowers
Winter
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Moonlight Mile

#2:
Sympathy For The Devil
Sway
100 Years ago
Wild Horses
Loving Cup
No Expectations
Gimme Shelter
Silver Train
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Angie
Live With Me
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Factory Girl
Bitch
Torn & Frayed
If You Can't Rock Me
Till The Next Goodbye
Brown Sugar
Shine A Light

The list of classic singles is astounding. Yet the real genius of this band is created through the album tracks. "Shine A Light", "Moonlight Mile", "Salt Of The Earth", "Sweet Black Angel", "Winter". The moods are very atypical Stones. Reflective and delicate are hardly common Stones traits, but they manage to pull it off in grand style.

And as far as good olde "Rock 'n Roll" is concerned, well, "Rip This Joint" pretty much IS Friday night.