Why is Elvis such a big deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Ever since the anniversary of Elvis's death and the release of that greatest hits CD a couple months ago, I've been wondering why Elvis is such a phenomenon. Sure, he's the King of Rock 'n' Roll, but shouldn't the credit be given to the artists who really invented rock? All Elvis did was bring rock to the mainstream white society of the US, which I realize is an accomplishment, but it seems like he gets too much acclaim.

And I recently found out that he didn't write his own music (or at the most, is credited with co-writing it)! How can the King of RnR not have even written his own songs? It's almost like he's an early male version of Britney Spears: doesn't write own music, is hugely popular, is scandalously sexual, and appears in movies. Now I'm not trying to say that Elvis is on the same level as Britney or anything, but it baffles me that he gets all the credit for things other people are responsible for. The only things he should be credited with are stage presense, singing ability, good looks, etc.

I know some people here don't understand why the Beatles are considered so wonderful, so I guess I feel the same why about Elvis. (Larry, forgive me! ;) ) Any thoughts, opinions on the matter? I'm curious as to what others think about this.

well, I guess because he was the first real sex symbol in modern day pop music, a cultural icon, etc.

plus he had blue suede shoes.

I cant think of many people in the history of the world who are more popular than Elvis. There are a handful....Jesus, The Pope, MLK, maybe a few more, but thats a matter of opinion. Anyway, as to why is a few reasons I can think of. First I would say because he was a sex symbol...sex sells, it always has. Second he had a tremendous stage presence, ask anyone who has seen a Elvis show and they will attest to this. Finally, he had a wonderful voice! Regardless of how much of his music he wrote his voice was great imo.
Thats just a few reasons off the top of my head.....

"thank you....thank you very much".....

Giant Lemon said:
All Elvis did was bring rock to the mainstream white society of the US,

And this is the key. Before Elvis, most rock records were race records, which meant that white kids couldn't get away with listening to them. (This is how that little fuck, Dick Clark, got his first job in Philly. He promised not to play race records, meaning records by black artists.) But Elvis sounded black, and was white. This meant that white kids could buy his records and listen to his music without too much trouble. Sure, nowadays, Elvis sounds white, but remember, this was in the early 50s, when black and white were separated BY LAW in many places.

Also, Elvis was overtly sexual. No other singer, black or white, was that sexual that publicly. That was HUGE in those days. Again, nowadays, anything goes, but this was in McCarthy times. To see Elvis swinging his hips and grinning that dirty little grin stirred something in boys and girls alike. They thought about sex and rock and roll openly for probably the first time.

Plus, listen to that man sing. Really listen. He has a voice like no other. It's God-given, natural talent. The movie That's the Way It Was has been rereleased with new footage. Listen to him there, or the 1968 Comeback Special. His voice is golden.

There are Pleba reasons to watch the 1968 show, too. Black leather is involved. That's all I'll say.

So, no; Elvis is nothing like Britney. At all. Ever. Not in a gajillion years. Never. Without Elvis, there is no rock and roll as we know it, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no U2, no nothing. He was the genesis of the music we have now. He brought it to us. You don't have to like him, but you must acknowledge him to understand rock and roll music.

Re: Re: Why is Elvis such a big deal?

martha said:

And this is the key. Before Elvis, most rock records were race records, which meant that white kids couldn't get away with listening to them. (This is how that little fuck, Dick Clark, got his first job in Philly. He promised not to play race records, meaning records by black artists.) But Elvis sounded black, and was white. This meant that white kids could buy his records and listen to his music without too much trouble. Sure, nowadays, Elvis sounds white, but remember, this was in the early 50s, when black and white were separated BY LAW in many places.

Also, Elvis was overtly sexual. No other singer, black or white, was that sexual that publicly. That was HUGE in those days. Again, nowadays, anything goes, but this was in McCarthy times. To see Elvis swinging his hips and grinning that dirty little grin stirred something in boys and girls alike. They thought about sex and rock and roll openly for probably the first time.

Plus, listen to that man sing. Really listen. He has a voice like no other. It's God-given, natural talent. The movie That's the Way It Was has been rereleased with new footage. Listen to him there, or the 1968 Comeback Special. His voice is golden.

There are Pleba reasons to watch the 1968 show, too. Black leather is involved. That's all I'll say.

So, no; Elvis is nothing like Britney. At all. Ever. Not in a gajillion years. Never. Without Elvis, there is no rock and roll as we know it, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no U2, no nothing. He was the genesis of the music we have now. He brought it to us. You don't have to like him, but you must acknowledge him to understand rock and roll music.

Couldnt have put it better Martha!!:yes: :yes: :yes:

martha said:
Without Elvis, there is no rock and roll as we know it, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no U2, no nothing.
which is why i get upset when some act as though rock didn't exist until the beatles came along, cuz elvis was doing it (white rock and roll, that is) long before.

anyway, back on topic...having lived in memphis for a few years now has really helped me understand the elvis phenomenom. what better person than a memphian to know all about how huge elvis is, and the hold he still has today on some people! of course, i'm not saying he's untalented. as martha said, he had sheer talent. true, he didn't write most of his stuff, but neither does whitney houston, but i think she still does (well, probably more like did) have an outstanding voice. aretha franklin doesn't write her stuff either. i know they're both female singers but hey, when did gender mean you had to be a songwriter? :wink:

martha said:
Without Elvis, there is no rock and roll as we know it, no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no U2, no nothing. He was the genesis of the music we have now. He brought it to us. You don't have to like him, but you must acknowledge him to understand rock and roll music.

Nice post, martha! I definitely recognize Elvis's place in music history- he is an icon, and he inspired countless other musicians. And I do like his songs, I just don't consider them to be all that wonderful. But I see your point that the fact Elvis brought rock to the mainstream really is huge. I guess that justifies him being such a big deal. And since I'm only 20, I obviously wasn't alive back when Elvis was taking over the country, so I probably don't have best understanding of the impact he had.

Re: Re: Why is Elvis such a big deal?

martha said:

GO MARTHA! I agree!!

ELVIS F*CKIN' ROCKS!! :p

JOFO said:

plus he had blue suede shoes.

He got those from Carl Perkins.

I was at Graceland last month, and while I was going through his gold/platinum record hallway, this woman in her 40s exclaimed, "I had no idea that Elvis didn't write his own songs!" I had to walk away because I was laughing so hard. Poor woman had her visions of Elvis shattered. She will never be the same again.

~LadyLemon~ said:

He got those from Carl Perkins.

I was at Graceland last month, and while I was going through his gold/platinum record hallway, this woman in her 40s exclaimed, "I had no idea that Elvis didn't write his own songs!" I had to walk away because I was laughing so hard. Poor woman had her visions of Elvis shattered. She will never be the same again.

OMG, are you serious??? :lmao:

Poor woman....

Elvis just rules, that's all there is to it. Just visit Graceland. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom