Why I Believe X & Y Is Receiving Mixed Reactions:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
I posted this in the Coldplaying.com forum, but judging from some of the reactions on this board, I believe I should post it here too.

I've been reading a lot of reactions on this board, from people who have been comparing X & Y to Parachutes and complaining that it doesn't stack up. Many consider Parachhutes superior. Some believe AROBTTH is superior as well. Many people seem to be disappointed. I, on the other hand, really love this new album. I must qualify this by saying that I am a huge Radiohead fan. What do I mean by this?

Coldplay are following a similar trajectory that Radiohead followed in their early career.

Don't necessarily take this statement at face value - I don't believe X & Y is much like OK Computer (Radiohead's third), but the similarity is that Coldplay's albums are beginning to live up to the band's name:

They're getting colder.

Parachutes is filled with raw emotions, but a very simple and stripped down structure. It's basically just piano, a single electric guitar, bass, and drums. It is occassionally accented by Martin's rhythm guitar, but that's about it. The raw emotion of the songs shine through because the arrangement is rather bare.

With AROBTTH, Coldplay began to change. They knew they had to evolve if they were to become something more than the other English bands they were being lumped with in the Post-Oasis/Radiohead Brit Rock scene. Their sound grew more complicated, and evolved, but I believe some of the emotion was lost. Many of the songs on the album retained it, such as Amsterdam, The Scientist, and In My Place. But songs like 'A Whisper' and 'Daylight' left me feeling colder than I had on the previous album. As the songs evolved and instruments and layers were added, something in the music changed. I didn't see this as a bad thing - with a good band, if you lose the emotion of a song you oftentimes gain something else. It all depends on whether the listener minds sacrificing raw emotion for something closer to intellectual introspection.

X & Y sees the completion of this musical arc. There aren't any songs like 'Yellow' or 'The Scientist' on X & Y. Even 'Fix You' doesn't contain the raw emotional bombast that 'The Scientist' has. X & Y is very musically layered. There are synths all over the place, multiple, criss-crossing electric guitars, and ambient noises in the background. Martin's lyrics have changed as well. This album is full of intellectual questions - questions about fate, communication, distance, technology, meaning. Parachutes was basically a collection of love ballads, with few exceptions. I love Parachutes to death - it's a fantastic album, but it should not be compared to AROBTTH or X & Y. Each album is what it is. I see Parachutes as Chris exploring love and the simple things in life, and creating brilliant, catchy ballads like Talk, Everything's Not Lost, and Trouble. AROBTTH sees him digging deeper, and the other bandmates evolve with him - their musical styling becomes more complicated and obtuse as his lyrics and longings become more intellectual in nature. X & Y sees this evolution to fruition.

But I love this new album. It's nowhere near as immediate as Parachutes, or even AROBTTH. It requires repeated listenings. It requires you to reflect on your own thoughts and beliefs. It's not immediately accessible, and therefore not as immediately gratifying. I think this is why people are reacting the way they are. With all of these 'The Next U2' comparisons, some are probably expecting to be immediately moved and emotionally affected ala 'One' or 'Where The Streets Have No Name' or 'Beautiful Day'. But these U2 comparisons are bollocks. Coldplay's music has always been veering, with each new album, towards intellectual introspection, and further away from raw emotional bombast ala 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.' I don't mind in the least bit. I was expecting this, and I was prepared, and I love these songs. I love the album more and more with each listen - it makes me think, it makes me question, and it moves me in ways that simple ballads like 'Yellow' cannot.

Take this album on a drive through the countryside as the sun begins to set. Allow yourself to be consumed by the album's questions, concerns, thoughts, and doubts. Let go of any expectations that X & Y will be 'Parachutes Redux' and take it for what it is - an amazing, brilliant album that yearns to find the answers to the questions residing inside all of our minds.

-Miggy

Interesting and original post, Miggy (unlike most of the others in this thread so far). I am waiting for the album to be released before listening to any of it, excluding 'The Speed of Sound,' but I will keep your thoughts in mind when I do listen to it. I love it when bands get more complicated, more inaccessible, deeper. Maybe that's why Kid A and Zooropa are my favorite Radiohead and U2 albums.

HeartlandGirl said:
Interesting and original post, Miggy (unlike most of the others in this thread so far).

I'd just like to repeat this statement. It's refreshing to see someone who actually wants to provide some kind of insight/feelings/information/interpretation/or flat out intelligence actually take the time to write something like that up.

I too still have heard nothing from it other than Speed of Sound and I watched their performance on SNL. I gave up long ago on downloading leaked albums (and have also given up on putting too much stock into knee jerk impressionistic opinions of any variety, especially those based on mp3 leaks). What I do put stock into is people who actually have put some thought and time into what they're listening to and writing about (as Miggy D obviosly has). :up:

I look forward to hearing the album in CD quality and giving it some serious time and listening.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

I look forward to hearing the album in CD quality and giving it some serious time and listening.

That's exactly what this album deserves, and nothing less.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

And thank you for the compliments.

-Miggy

Great post, Miggy :)

I'm also joining those who are waiting for the cd :yes:

I can't wait to put on my headphones and really listen to this album. I have liked everything I've heard (Some live tracks from Coachella and SNL) though it did take a couple of listens for me to really get into "Speed of Sound"... but I like music like that. Not immediately catchy but something that kind of hits you out of the blue and one day, as you're listening, you kind of go "Oh, hey, this is a great song!"

:D

I listened to X&Y and thought it was a pretty solid effort by Coldplay. The more you listen to it, the more you will like it. One thing for everyone to listen for, the chorus in the song 'The Hardest Part' sounds identical to the chorus in 'Wild Honey'. I guess if Coldplay want to be the best band in the world, why not copy the current best band in the world! :laugh:

People crack me up.
Bono rants and raves about no one taking on the challenge then when a band does take up the challenege all the die hards get upset.
As far as I'm concerned there is room enough for several good bands.
They didn't ask for the U2 comparison.
We know how journalist are sometimes unfair to our boys and so they will be to Coldplay.
U2 could be criticized just as much as Coldplay.
I'm not shocked by the snobbery on this board, just tired of it.

HeartlandGirl said:
Interesting and original post, Miggy (unlike most of the others in this thread so far).

u2popmofo said:
I'd just like to repeat this statement. It's refreshing to see someone who actually wants to provide some kind of insight/feelings/information/interpretation/or flat out intelligence actually take the time to write something like that up.

:up: :up: :up:
I was going to say something similar but they said it better. Miggy, your thoughtful post made me want to buy the record and I don't own any Coldplay records (yet).

Iskra said:
People crack me up.
Bono rants and raves about no one taking on the challenge then when a band does take up the challenege all the die hards get upset.

what is this, the 7th grade?
bono is an ass for even making such a statement; coldplay are bigger asses for "taking it up".

maybe they can compare notes on how lunch in the cafeteria was today after math class.

JOFO said:

what is this, the 7th grade?
bono is an ass for even making such a statement; coldplay are bigger asses for "taking it up".

maybe they can compare notes on how lunch in the cafeteria was today after math class.

:lol:

joyfulgirl said:

:up: :up: :up:
I was going to say something similar but they said it better. Miggy, your thoughtful post made me want to buy the record and I don't own any Coldplay records (yet).

Thanks, joyfulgirl. If you're intrigued, do yourself a favor and buy all 3 albums. Listen to each one in succession. It's a great trip, like listening to Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop in succession.

(Not that these albums are anything like those 3, but in terms of watching a band grow and expand and change, there is a similarity.)

Parachutes is a great, lovely, catchy album. And A Rush of Blood to the Head is one of my favorite albums of all time. X & Y is looking to topple it. We shall see. :)

-Miggy

once again, 7ofo is the man of the hour.

if only i could type his name without having to resort to my on-screen keyboard... <_<

Diane L said:
I, personally, like my music warm.

:up:

Great essay, Miggy D. I think you're very right on many points. As a Coldplay fan since the beginning (not that that says anything either way) "Parachutes" will always be my favorite, but I also believe "AROBTTH" contains some of the most devestating songs I've ever heard, namely a little ditty called "Amsterdam."

I find "Speed of Sound" to be horrendously pretentious and boring. I feel that Chris Martin is trying to stretch himself too far on it and it just ends up feeling very awkward. Don't go chasing waterfalls yet, Chris!

HelloAngel said:

Great essay, Miggy D. I think you're very right on many points. As a Coldplay fan since the beginning (not that that says anything either way) "Parachutes" will always be my favorite, but I also believe "AROBTTH" contains some of the most devestating songs I've ever heard, namely a little ditty called "Amsterdam."

I find "Speed of Sound" to be horrendously pretentious and boring. I feel that Chris Martin is trying to stretch himself too far on it and it just ends up feeling very awkward. Don't go chasing waterfalls yet, Chris!

After hearing the rest of the album, I don't really care for SOS anymore. It sounds like nothing else on the album. It's not representative at all. So, keep that in mind.

Btw - Amsterdam is beautiful.

-Miggy

I love Coldplay & have been listening to the album on MTV.com all day. I totally see the Wild Honey similarity on "The Hardest Part."

I don't know why, but I keep wanting to sing the chorus to Prince's "When Doves Cry" when I hear the chorus to "White Shadows"

The album really is a grower, a lot less immediate than their previous albums. When the CD comes out, I will have to listen with the headphones.

riteshbhatt1 said:
I don't know why, but I keep wanting to sing the chorus to Prince's "When Doves Cry" when I hear the chorus to "White Shadows"

That's an intriguing comment...

I think I'm finally starting to look forward to hearing this album.

What I don't understand, is why because Miggy D spent time with the album and likes it, his/her (I'M SORRY, SO SORRY!) opinion is more valid?

Not a dig at Miggy, your opinion is yours. But I believe I have also given this album a real chance (I've listened closely, listened as I've gone to bed, had it in the car... etc). And I really think this is a mediocre effort and an album without potential.

Now does that make me a diehard U2 reactionary? Because I don't like the album, does that mean I haven't given it enough of a chance?

Coldplay have tried much much too hard here. A Rush of Blood to the Head was a display in using synths properly to pad out a song. They compliment the sound and create soundscapes unmatched in 2002. Even on Everything's Not Lost on Parachutes, the use of a soft, underlying synth grounded one of the best songs on the album. On X & Y if feels like they are tring to fill sounds that don't need filling by using synths. It creates a complicated sound that has no real direction or purpose, it gives the illusion of being good, but when you listen to it, it really isn't.

The sound is muddy and cold. The problem here is that I honestly don't believe the aim was to create a cold, detatched sound.

'X & Y sees the completion of this musical arc

I don't think so. I believe it is taking an idea too far. Chris Martin is trying oh so hard to sound intellectual, provocative and interesting, when in all seriousness he sounds like a wanker now.

His lines in the first two albums were precise and beautiful, but in this album he is rambling for the sake of rambling. And very cliched.

I believe in X & Y that Coldplay are trying to create an evolved, intelligent sound. However in doing this they have sacrificed their heart and covered up their sound. Leaving the record bare and lifeless.

This was not the time to put out this album, and even if the time was right, this isn't the album they should have put out.

Palace_Hero said:
What I don't understand, is why because Miggy D spent time with the album and likes it, his/her (I'M SORRY, SO SORRY!) opinion is more valid?

Not a dig at Miggy, your opinion is yours. But I believe I have also given this album a real chance (I've listened closely, listened as I've gone to bed, had it in the car... etc). And I really think this is a mediocre effort and an album without potential.

Now does that make me a diehard U2 reactionary? Because I don't like the album, does that mean I haven't given it enough of a chance?

Coldplay have tried much much too hard here. A Rush of Blood to the Head was a display in using synths properly to pad out a song. They compliment the sound and create soundscapes unmatched in 2002. Even on Everything's Not Lost on Parachutes, the use of a soft, underlying synth grounded one of the best songs on the album. On X & Y if feels like they are tring to fill sounds that don't need filling by using synths. It creates a complicated sound that has no real direction or purpose, it gives the illusion of being good, but when you listen to it, it really isn't.

The sound is muddy and cold. The problem here is that I honestly don't believe the aim was to create a cold, detatched sound.

'X & Y sees the completion of this musical arc

I don't think so. I believe it is taking an idea too far. Chris Martin is trying oh so hard to sound intellectual, provocative and interesting, when in all seriousness he sounds like a wanker now.

His lines in the first two albums were precise and beautiful, but in this album he is rambling for the sake of rambling. And very cliched.

I believe in X & Y that Coldplay are trying to create an evolved, intelligent sound. However in doing this they have sacrificed their heart and covered up their sound. Leaving the record bare and lifeless.

This was not the time to put out this album, and even if the time was right, this isn't the album they should have put out.

That was a great post. You make some excellent points. I don't think people were saying my opinion was more valid simply because I was supporting the album. I think they were reacting to the fact that my post was more detailed than most - similar to your post, which I thought was very well done.

-Miggy

P.S. - I'm a guy. When in doubt, check the profile. :cool:

Miggy D said:

I think they were reacting to the fact that my post was more detailed than most - similar to your post, which I thought was very well done.

Exactly. Both posts were detailed and reasoned, pointing out what you have concluded about the album, but also WHY you got to that opinion.

Excellent posts from you both :up:

Palace_Hero said:

I didn't see another post by you on this record (I haven't read the other Coldplay thread) but would've certainly given it the same weight because although I'm not a big Coldplay fan and don't own any of their records, I do like a few songs and am intrigued especially by the fact that so many people whose musical taste I respect like them. So I for one am interestesd in reading intelligent, thoughtful posts about the new record regardless of whether they're positive or negative reviews (I'm also trying to decide whether to get tickets to their show when they go onsale this weekend even though I don't own any records). I also think Miggy got the support he did because it was weird reading such a great post and then reading the rather rude and simplistic responses that immediately followed.

In any case, no one is right or wrong, these are all just opinions, and like with any artist of Coldplay's stature responses to a new record are passionate one way or the other. And that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Iskra said:

We know how journalist are sometimes unfair to our boys and so they will be to Coldplay.
U2 could be criticized just as much as Coldplay.

I'm not shocked by the snobbery on this board, just tired of it.

Perhaps it's not snobbery, some people/ journalists just don't like Coldplay or just don't like this album. I have heard most of the album now and it just doesn't grab me. I think Chris Martin's voice in whiney and it seems like they are chruning out the same music they've always done.

Everyone likes different bands.

You' think that was a really hard thing to get your mind around or something judging by the reactions on this board sometimes.

Why does this album have to be about what Bono says? You think he was someone who has a greater right to owning an opinion or something.

Back
Top Bottom