Why I Believe X & Y Is Receiving Mixed Reactions: - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra
People crack me up.
Bono rants and raves about no one taking on the challenge then when a band does take up the challenege all the die hards get upset.
what is this, the 7th grade?
bono is an ass for even making such a statement; coldplay are bigger asses for "taking it up".

maybe they can compare notes on how lunch in the cafeteria was today after math class.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

what is this, the 7th grade?
bono is an ass for even making such a statement; coldplay are bigger asses for "taking it up".

maybe they can compare notes on how lunch in the cafeteria was today after math class.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I was going to say something similar but they said it better. Miggy, your thoughtful post made me want to buy the record and I don't own any Coldplay records (yet).
Thanks, joyfulgirl. If you're intrigued, do yourself a favor and buy all 3 albums. Listen to each one in succession. It's a great trip, like listening to Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop in succession.

(Not that these albums are anything like those 3, but in terms of watching a band grow and expand and change, there is a similarity.)

Parachutes is a great, lovely, catchy album. And A Rush of Blood to the Head is one of my favorite albums of all time. X & Y is looking to topple it. We shall see.

-Miggy
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
once again, 7ofo is the man of the hour.

if only i could type his name without having to resort to my on-screen keyboard... <_<
Old 05-31-2005, 09:36 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
I, personally, like my music warm.

Great essay, Miggy D. I think you're very right on many points. As a Coldplay fan since the beginning (not that that says anything either way) "Parachutes" will always be my favorite, but I also believe "AROBTTH" contains some of the most devestating songs I've ever heard, namely a little ditty called "Amsterdam."

I find "Speed of Sound" to be horrendously pretentious and boring. I feel that Chris Martin is trying to stretch himself too far on it and it just ends up feeling very awkward. Don't go chasing waterfalls yet, Chris!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Great essay, Miggy D. I think you're very right on many points. As a Coldplay fan since the beginning (not that that says anything either way) "Parachutes" will always be my favorite, but I also believe "AROBTTH" contains some of the most devestating songs I've ever heard, namely a little ditty called "Amsterdam."

I find "Speed of Sound" to be horrendously pretentious and boring. I feel that Chris Martin is trying to stretch himself too far on it and it just ends up feeling very awkward. Don't go chasing waterfalls yet, Chris!
After hearing the rest of the album, I don't really care for SOS anymore. It sounds like nothing else on the album. It's not representative at all. So, keep that in mind.

Btw - Amsterdam is beautiful.

-Miggy
Old 05-31-2005, 10:23 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 11:24 AM
I love Coldplay & have been listening to the album on MTV.com all day. I totally see the Wild Honey similarity on "The Hardest Part."

I don't know why, but I keep wanting to sing the chorus to Prince's "When Doves Cry" when I hear the chorus to "White Shadows"

The album really is a grower, a lot less immediate than their previous albums. When the CD comes out, I will have to listen with the headphones.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Oh. I thought it was cause the album is boring.

Its cosy dadrock for shopping centres
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by riteshbhatt1
I don't know why, but I keep wanting to sing the chorus to Prince's "When Doves Cry" when I hear the chorus to "White Shadows"
That's an intriguing comment...

I think I'm finally starting to look forward to hearing this album.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #25
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 06:24 PM
What I don't understand, is why because Miggy D spent time with the album and likes it, his/her (I'M SORRY, SO SORRY!) opinion is more valid?

Not a dig at Miggy, your opinion is yours. But I believe I have also given this album a real chance (I've listened closely, listened as I've gone to bed, had it in the car... etc). And I really think this is a mediocre effort and an album without potential.

Now does that make me a diehard U2 reactionary? Because I don't like the album, does that mean I haven't given it enough of a chance?

Coldplay have tried much much too hard here. A Rush of Blood to the Head was a display in using synths properly to pad out a song. They compliment the sound and create soundscapes unmatched in 2002. Even on Everything's Not Lost on Parachutes, the use of a soft, underlying synth grounded one of the best songs on the album. On X & Y if feels like they are tring to fill sounds that don't need filling by using synths. It creates a complicated sound that has no real direction or purpose, it gives the illusion of being good, but when you listen to it, it really isn't.

The sound is muddy and cold. The problem here is that I honestly don't believe the aim was to create a cold, detatched sound.

'X & Y sees the completion of this musical arc

I don't think so. I believe it is taking an idea too far. Chris Martin is trying oh so hard to sound intellectual, provocative and interesting, when in all seriousness he sounds like a wanker now.

His lines in the first two albums were precise and beautiful, but in this album he is rambling for the sake of rambling. And very cliched.

I believe in X & Y that Coldplay are trying to create an evolved, intelligent sound. However in doing this they have sacrificed their heart and covered up their sound. Leaving the record bare and lifeless.

This was not the time to put out this album, and even if the time was right, this isn't the album they should have put out.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:27 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 07:24 PM
The new album is like a cross between U2 and Nora Jones.
Not what I was hoping for sorry..

Cheers
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 AM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
What I don't understand, is why because Miggy D spent time with the album and likes it, his/her (I'M SORRY, SO SORRY!) opinion is more valid?

Not a dig at Miggy, your opinion is yours. But I believe I have also given this album a real chance (I've listened closely, listened as I've gone to bed, had it in the car... etc). And I really think this is a mediocre effort and an album without potential.

Now does that make me a diehard U2 reactionary? Because I don't like the album, does that mean I haven't given it enough of a chance?

Coldplay have tried much much too hard here. A Rush of Blood to the Head was a display in using synths properly to pad out a song. They compliment the sound and create soundscapes unmatched in 2002. Even on Everything's Not Lost on Parachutes, the use of a soft, underlying synth grounded one of the best songs on the album. On X & Y if feels like they are tring to fill sounds that don't need filling by using synths. It creates a complicated sound that has no real direction or purpose, it gives the illusion of being good, but when you listen to it, it really isn't.

The sound is muddy and cold. The problem here is that I honestly don't believe the aim was to create a cold, detatched sound.

'X & Y sees the completion of this musical arc

I don't think so. I believe it is taking an idea too far. Chris Martin is trying oh so hard to sound intellectual, provocative and interesting, when in all seriousness he sounds like a wanker now.

His lines in the first two albums were precise and beautiful, but in this album he is rambling for the sake of rambling. And very cliched.

I believe in X & Y that Coldplay are trying to create an evolved, intelligent sound. However in doing this they have sacrificed their heart and covered up their sound. Leaving the record bare and lifeless.

This was not the time to put out this album, and even if the time was right, this isn't the album they should have put out.
That was a great post. You make some excellent points. I don't think people were saying my opinion was more valid simply because I was supporting the album. I think they were reacting to the fact that my post was more detailed than most - similar to your post, which I thought was very well done.

-Miggy

P.S. - I'm a guy. When in doubt, check the profile.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #28
ONE&lt;br&gt;love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Miggy D

I think they were reacting to the fact that my post was more detailed than most - similar to your post, which I thought was very well done.

Exactly. Both posts were detailed and reasoned, pointing out what you have concluded about the album, but also WHY you got to that opinion.

Excellent posts from you both
Old 06-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

I didn't see another post by you on this record (I haven't read the other Coldplay thread) but would've certainly given it the same weight because although I'm not a big Coldplay fan and don't own any of their records, I do like a few songs and am intrigued especially by the fact that so many people whose musical taste I respect like them. So I for one am interestesd in reading intelligent, thoughtful posts about the new record regardless of whether they're positive or negative reviews (I'm also trying to decide whether to get tickets to their show when they go onsale this weekend even though I don't own any records). I also think Miggy got the support he did because it was weird reading such a great post and then reading the rather rude and simplistic responses that immediately followed.

In any case, no one is right or wrong, these are all just opinions, and like with any artist of Coldplay's stature responses to a new record are passionate one way or the other. And that's a good thing.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra

Bono rants and raves about no one taking on the challenge then when a band does take up the challenege all the die hards get upset.
We know how journalist are sometimes unfair to our boys and so they will be to Coldplay.
U2 could be criticized just as much as Coldplay.

I'm not shocked by the snobbery on this board, just tired of it.

Perhaps it's not snobbery, some people/ journalists just don't like Coldplay or just don't like this album. I have heard most of the album now and it just doesn't grab me. I think Chris Martin's voice in whiney and it seems like they are chruning out the same music they've always done.

Everyone likes different bands.

You' think that was a really hard thing to get your mind around or something judging by the reactions on this board sometimes.

Why does this album have to be about what Bono says? You think he was someone who has a greater right to owning an opinion or something.

Tags
coldplay