Why does the US ignore great talent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
I live in Canada and here in Canada there must be a certain amount of Can. artists on radio. We here alot of American and English stuff but we have some great bands that have been around for a while and have never been accepted in the states. Bands like:

The Tragically hip (one of the best live preformers, even better then U2)
Big Sugar
Edwin(I mother Earth)
Matthew good band

The hip have been around for 15 years and sell out all over Canada and are the best live preformers i have ever seen. I get so pissed off knowing that these guys could be huge they are very much like Dave mathews band but with more hard rocking and louder with more heart. I dare all you americans to d/l a few of there songs and tell me they dont have talent!!

Try:
Poets
fifty mission cap
ahead by a century
bobcaygeon
courage
fully completely
wheat kings

D/l these songs if you want to here a great band!!!

theyre a good bad, and theyre latest song "its a good life if you dont weeken" is gold.

I dont know if the US really ignores all the talent around. The same thing happens here too. We have an abundance of great bands, heaps of talent, that will never make it in America. I dont think its really because they are ignored, I think its due to the size of the US market. Unfortunately not everyone can make it in the way say U2 did. America is like this massive mountain for a young or little known band to overcome. You have not only countries like Canada and Australia trying to make their mark, but kazillions of American bands that have an advantage already of living in the country and knowing it from the inside. The sad thing is, its probably still no easier for a band to crack the big time even if they are American.

My Theory

The Music Business in the US is segemented into different styles...
Pop
Rap
RapRock
Everything Else

The Radio Stations play the first three and ignore the last category :(

Sometimes you can stumble upon a college station that will play lesser known bands/artists, that would not get sirplay otherwise.

It's true. American radio sucks, thanks to Clear Channel dictatorship. Radio stations, at least where I live, totally ignore UK bands like Radiohead, Travis, The Doves, Coldplay, Oasis, etc. And none of those bands are exactly obscure! I suppose college radio stations play them, but it has been ages since I was within range of one of those stations.

bonoman said:
thats why i think canada radio has much better music then the US because we really push great bands.

Question has anyone ever heard the the tragically hip?

I'm from the US and I have heard them; they're great. I also like OLP and Chantal Kreviazuk.

I didn't know OLP are from Canada! I've heard both OLP and Tragically Hip (not on the radio though), but I've never heard of Chantal Kreviazk.

re. Canadian bands, I find their sound is often too thin and it doesn't interest me in the least. I've given OLP, TTH and others many a chance and they just don't do it.

however, the glaring exception to this observation is the Vancouver group "Hot Hot Heat." Their 'Knock Knock Knock' EP is outrageously good and is already very popular on indie and college radio here in NYC. All you Canucks should be proud of these guys, they have tons of potential.

Are you saying that the hip's lyrics are too thin or their musical sound. Because if you think their lyrics are too thin then go read many U2 songs in the last 5 years for thin lyrics. This is a band with many deep and storylike lyrics. If you are refering to OLP then yes very thin, but not the hip!

Back
Top Bottom