Why do we women put ourselves through torture for beauty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
We get beard burn from their 5-o-clock shadow and they tell us to stop whining.... we let our leg stubble grow for more than a day and we're ape-women. It really isn't fair.

I think that's an unfortunate stereotype for guys (and unfortunately a lot of guys fall into it). It's a shame that women are lead on to think that they have to be silky smooth to feel sexy, whereas guys get away with the 'rugged' unshaven look.

You're right, it isn't fair, and I really think overall guys need to learn to cut girls some slack in the so-called beauty department. If women aren't beautiful to you unless they're shaved, waxed, tanned and in peak physical condition, then you've been looking at too many swimsuit issues and need a good dose of reality.

Some leg stubble is totally fine by me. Whether you forgot to shave today or not - I couldn't care less. But legs that are hairier than mine - no.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
yarof, how do you know how hairy I am?
Perhaps I am a hairy underarmed and legged wolfgirl.

Hahaha!!

For the record I gave up ridding myself of 'excess' hair a long time ago. Some people here would may think I am smart and intellectually evolved because of this, but I know you are all in fact deeply disgusted by it. *rubs palms* Tee hee.

furry (in the mostest sense!)

I think we're still better off than those poor women in the previous centuries with their killer corsetes... now THAT must have been a torture for beauty's sake. Imagine walking around while you can't even breathe fully.

I agree that most supermodels look like their only purpose is to appear as wasted, bland and personality-free as possible, but you gotta admit that there are some amazing women who do stand out from the crowd.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
If I get all dolled up and go out, I get absolutely no male attention.

If I'm traveling and wearing the same coffee-stained t-shirt for 2 days and no make-up, or stopping by the grocery store on my way home from the gym in sweats and a baseball cap, I have to fight them off.*

Go figure.

*okay, I embellished for effect

hahaha me too! lol

------------------
lilsparky: did you like the pics i took of my favorite band?
viktor: actually had a dream about larry mullen last night...not a gay dream but a weird dream.....
lilsparky: really?
lilsparky: what was it about?
viktor: yeah...we were going to a party and all my high school friends walked along him and then Bono rushed out and said something weird and that guy from the pouges...shane mac Gowan came and we all showered in sugar
viktor: weird

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 03-13-2002).]

Originally posted by zooropamanda:

Why do we do this to ourselves?
Men can walk around like hairy apes, but one hair out of place on our bodies and we are ugly creatures who "go for the natural look".

Excuse me while I vent.
Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

Some men don't feel comfortable walking around like hairy apes.

Most of the male models in the advertisements, etc. usually have a hair free torsos. Or if they do have any its kept to a minimum.

It is some what precieved by the current media that less hair on a male is more attractive. Of course that's a matter of opinion which obviously varies from individual to individual.

So there is some pressure for males to remain somewhat hair free. And some males do feel that pressure and go wax their chest and back and where ever else they have hair they're not comfortable with.

Of course there are the men who just don't care - and that's probably the best way to be.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
hehe. me too. And I couldn't care less. If a guy wants me because of the paint on my face...hmm. No thanks.
biggrin.gif

Amen Sista!

I say forget all the superficial bullshit and stick with the things that make you feel comfortable. Most people worth knowing don't care much for looks. As long as you don't smell like a skunk and look like the missing link, there's nothing to worry about.

hehe, I swear to Gawd on this one..........years and years ago I was about to join a queue in the Building Society and noticed just as the queue was movin round (there were like 40 of us so we were all bent round), this woman in her 30s wearing barely-black tights and I SWEAR TO HUMPTY, her leg hair musta been 5/6 inches LONG!!!!

eek.gif

but she wasnt ashamed........and I didnt look and go Yuk, I simply was a bit taken aback......but think shes great to be brave and be herself............

I don't know who is holding a gun to anyone's head making them do all this stuff? If you don't like it..don't do it! The heck with what anyone thinks or says...and if you can only get a man by being artificial...is that really a man worth having? What if you get sick and your hair falls out...what if you gain weight?

I remember a long time ago my mom kept making me want to wear my hear this way...wear clothes that way...and I had two friends who were obssessed with make-up and beauty care.

That just was not me. I remember telling my mom that I was going to wait for a guy who liked me just the way I was. I was not going to do anything artificial to attract a guy..and if I didn't find any...I would do without. I realize that is a rather brave statement for some women to make...they can't imagine life without a guy...and it would be hard for them...but for me it was easy.

I remember the look on her face. It was sorrow ...and I think she thought I was naive. No man would want me just the way I was..and there were no men out there like that...

Imgaine everyone's shock when I met Mr. Right at age 19...who liked me just the way I was
biggrin.gif
and married him at age 21 and we've been together 21+ years
smile.gif

People told me I should wear my hair the way "he' likes it. I asked him about this and he gave me a look of disbelief..."its your hair...wear what is easiest for you!" I asked him about make-up and he said "its up to you..." These angels exist
smile.gif

If you like it for yourself fine...but don't put yourself through torture for the wrong reasons!! And the guy who really loves you will love you whether you paint your face or not...

As for hairy men...most women don't care( as long as it doesn't look like the guy is wearing a bearskin rug! That is a bit much!) They put these waxed men in pictures to show off the sports equipment of the underwear or the sports drink...I can't imagine real women expecting real men to look like that!! If they do...great...but I don't think whether a man is hairy or not its on most women's list of what they look for in a man...

dream wanderer

actually, us women should be proud of ourselves, there are LOTS of opportunities out there for us and lots of women are showing more bravery and courage everyday.......sure look at the woman out at sea.....she continued while her husband half-way through wanted to go home, and went!!!!!

Look, there are also 3 women out there in Artic (is it?) without aid.......trying to achieve something..........

men put women down when theyre scared and I see it as that now........I dont think men like women taking over or being better than themselves..............

after all the thing women can do that men cant is do 3 diff things at the same time...our brains can cope with that...

so lets be MORE proud of that, show our success more and put image behind, that way we can exude more confidence without the make-up all the time...be proud...be recognised for it..........and above all, still feel like a woman!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Make-up? ACK! It's worse for your skin than you'd think. It causes the pimples people use it to hide. I really don't wear make-up, unless you count the sunscreen I wear on my face, since it's tinted. If a guy were attracted to me, I'd rather him be attracted to me for my personality rather than my looks.

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

I put myself through the torture because its kinda hard to get noticed when you want to be a model and you hardly look like you have potential and also because in the area I live its unfashionable to look anything close to nice for some reason... so I do it to be uncool.

Lilly, I've never heard that make up causes pimples.

princessbadgirl, it is uncool to look decent? Where do you live?!

Maddie's got the right idea.

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

Manda, make up clogs your pores, and if you dont wash it off properly or wear too much too often, the pores can get a whole heap of dirt in them, leading to infections and maybe pimples. As all a pimple is is a bacteria under your skin. Its bad anyway cos skin needs to breathe.

would you rather live in Afghanistan and never be seen?!?! ok, this may be in poor taste pointing this out, but always look on the brighter side of things (I said 'brighter' not bright)

and don't think I don't hate having to shave every fucking day, scrape scrape... burn burn... that fucking hurts, ahh, I'm such a whiner

maybe it's best that everyone lived in Siberia and just wore layers of clothes under trench coats, with a hood and ski mask, I'll bet the store clerks would love that ...

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
would you rather live in Afghanistan and never be seen?!?! ok, this may be in poor taste pointing this out, but always look on the brighter side of things (I said 'brighter' not bright)

and don't think I don't hate having to shave every fucking day, scrape scrape... burn burn... that fucking hurts, ahh, I'm such a whiner

maybe it's best that everyone lived in Siberia and just wore layers of clothes under trench coats, with a hood and ski mask, I'll bet the store clerks would love that ...

I tink Wanderers basically trying to say we women should shut up about our looks and live each day preciously, like our last, and that really we should be more thankful we are luckier than half the other women in the world.......some prob have never seen make-up in their life, or are too busy searching for food and clean water for their family.......I can see his point.......yet we still yearn to look better.......................today Im not goin to do that, from here on......Ive already worked on my health and my face looks healthier, part of a goal Im achieve, and I feel happier INSIDE me.............I only put a little make-up on..........but I expect pple to like me for me, not my face..........I know someday therell be a guy who will be ready for me and me ready for him..................

*argh this is no attack, pissed at my mum for last night..........

nothing ever matters.....outta here*

ciao

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 03-14-2002).]

ugh i hate this whole waxing/shaving/makeup/etc. business. i only have the guts to wax my eyebrows, since it hurts like hell i don't want wax getting anywhere else! hehe.

i'm lucky i guess...cuz my husband sez i don't have to wear makeup unless i want to.
biggrin.gif

but i still hate having to shave and crap...at the very least having super stubbly legs and stuff is a pain to me, esp. in the winter...since my skin gets so dry this time of year, i have to moisterize all the damn time and it hurts to be rubbing your legs with smelly creams and have little knives sticking out of your legs, lmao.

------------------
sunlight, sunlight fills my room, it's sharp and it's clear but nothing at all like the moon...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

I actually prefer girls without make-up. But then, girls I hang around with all are young enough to look great without make-up
wink.gif

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

princessbadgirl, it is uncool to look decent? Where do you live?!
[/B]

In NY- don't get me wrong NY is filled with gorgeous people but I live in this ugly lil place in Queens where beauty is surly lacking.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Vorsprung:
I actually prefer girls without make-up. But then, girls I hang around with all are young enough to look great without make-up
wink.gif

ZING!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

once again i find myself agreeing with you craig. shaving is such a pain in the arse!! at least you can cover your legs up if you cant be bothered shaving/waxing!!

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Back
Top Bottom