Why do we indecently share our thoughts on web site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soul service

The Fly
I'm trying to figure out where's the "need" from writing our thoughts on a web site. VERY open to discussion. Also open to discussion about why is it so hard to be true and honest with ourselves. Why can't we always be transparent with others? Wondering... about a lot of things... Would appreciate answers and other wonder!!!

Thank!

Well.....It's cheaper than seeing a shrink!
biggrin.gif

*Flavia*

yes but its very easy to open up to people when u dont know them or see their face.being able to talk openly and freely on the net can be very libertaing and its also easy to find people to talk to about the things you like.
its not that easy to talk to your friends about stuff like U2 when they arent fans.

i think we can be just as open in the flesh but with such a big audience, its easier to find answers you are looking for with many different opinions on whatever it is you're talking about.

Originally posted by christiana:
I think maybe we want others to agree with ourself.

I disagree Risti.
wink.gif

------------------
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS [No thanks to Propaganda - BLAH!]

Thanks for spending your hard earned cash on a rock show. ~ Bono, Houston, 4-2-01

Originally posted by soul service:
Why can't we always be transparent with others?

Because for the most part, people don't really want you to share too much, to get too serious, or too personal. People naturally want to hear that things are good and it often catches them off guard if you share what you're really thinking; it makes them uncomfortable and they don't know how to respond.

Pleasantville.

I'm actually sympathetic to those who only want to hear the positive, although I myself am pretty good at listening to and not recoiling from those who share their true feelings, even when those feelings are not so wonderful. When someone is talking to me, more often than not I find what they're saying to be interesting. But it might not be the content of their monologue that grabs me. It might be the tone of voice they use, or perhaps they have an interesting accent, or maybe they're just very expressive with their facial expressions.

People are fascinating. Some are just plain hot. (Where did that come from?)

maybe out of a desire to express to a larger audience (without fear) and because it's the only place in the world where you can instantly + publicly make a statement and be guaranteed feedback of some kind (most of the time). and then once that happens you instantly become part of some new, strange community. much like here!
biggrin.gif

welcome.

Originally posted by soul service:
Can't we do that in "real life"?

Well, I just got back from my road trip back to my hometown, and now I am very lonely again, as all of my friends live around that area. When I come back to my current home, Interferencers are the closest friends I've got around here.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
When I come back to my current home, Interferencers are the closest friends I've got around here.

(((({{{Hugs for Katherine from her friends}}}))))

------------------
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS [No thanks to Propaganda - BLAH!]

Thanks for spending your hard earned cash on a rock show. ~ Bono, Houston, 4-2-01

I find it alot easier to share thoughts or views on the net sometimes more than real life. Writing down things to me have a lot more importance than speaking words.

Plus then I wouldnt have met so many wonderful U2 fans. Since none of my real life friends really care for them.

------------------
Some Days Are Slippy, Other Days Are Sloppy

Sicy's Website

i really find this thread interesting because i am beginning an essay on these sorts of anonymous relationships like the ones here. some very interesting responses, especially grace. good question soul service. if you really want to take the web's vouyeuristic aspect to an extreme, check out dailyconfession.com. an astonishing collection of confessions of real people and much of it, in all likelihood, is true.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

I think we come here and read these posts because each of our minds has its own emotional gravitational pull. These words are a random aggregation of ancient debris orbiting your mind, coming closer and closer to the fringe of your atmosphere. You could be driving in your car along the base of a cliff in the glaring summer sun with your air conditioning on high and the quiet crackle of music slowly burning in the background, a shining speck on an empty road on your own empty planet completely unaware that matter of an unknown origin is somewhere many miles above you approaching your sphere, until subtle signs that have been growing in the surrounding environment are finally big enough to be within your notice, and the music goes out as you suddenly realize that something new has caused a chain reaction in the light reflecting off of those rocks, in the makeup of your perspective, and that constantly, imperceptibly shifting side of the cliff is starting to make sense to you. There are no words, but your mind fills in the gaps and, after you read them, they are finally able to plummet through those pristine spaces, knifing through the clouds, barely missing a flock of childhood memories gliding along on their never-ending migration, and each layer of your atmosphere is instantly polluted with possible meanings. The desire to know is too strong and you turn the car around once again, hoping like always that there will be some sign of life at the center of the impact site. You don't even know what to look for. As you grow older, you accumulate more of these stagnant craters and you think you are ugly and unloved. Money is meaningless, but you choose to look like a millionaire. After night falls, you wander out into the cold and follow landmarks back to your primitive altar, avoiding the stares of wretched animals that crawl at you with the faces of people you thought were real, reminding you that the past is always now, and then you sit down and start crying as you pretend the words on the screen are coming from a distant being that has been trying to tell you something by scarring you. You will let yourself be obliterated by that unknown force before you give up hope.

-------------------------
"And you can see her
before it cracks and goes out.
She throws rocks at streetlights,
keeps the streetlight changer busy."

low

Originally posted by Bonochick:
Well, I just got back from my road trip back to my hometown, and now I am very lonely again, as all of my friends live around that area. When I come back to my current home, Interferencers are the closest friends I've got around here.

Her friend Christy is hot!

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

Stunningly put travu2...

I can't speak for everyone, but this is why I am here.
I don't make friends quickly or easily, partly because am I am painfully shy and never know what to say to people.
I feel I have more in common with many Interferencers than I do with people I know IRL.
I don't want to talk to people about U2 if I think they aren't particularly interested. Most of the people I know IRL aren't particularly interested.
I am more or less obsessed by music in general and U2 in particular and need to vent somewhere.
I have always been more comfortable and articulate in writing than speaking in person. (Yeah I'm a coward.)
Despite my painful shyness, quietness and general lack of self-esteem, I seem to have a rather demanding ego which wants me to communicate my thoughts and feelings, and more importantly, know that other people are listening.
Mostly I want approval and reassurance that not only am I far from alone in my obsession and opinions, and that others value what I say.
My ego also keeps telling me I can write things, so I spend far too much time in Dream Out Loud, in the company of some very impressive talent, trying to draw attention to my own spoutings. Hoping they will be found worthy of comment or praise.
I have bared myself to these people, you people, to an extent previously unknown. I am, at some level, afraid of being known, of people knowing what I'm REALLY like, inside, but for some reason the anonymity of this place gives me courage to admit this, and want to be known by people like myself.
I'm a sad, lonely, neurotic, obsessive, generally fucked-up sort of person. Not to imply the same of you others...

Plus it's also lots of fun!
biggrin.gif

Rock 'n' Roll!

Originally posted by mikal:
Her friend Christy is hot!

*lmao* Oh, Mike...

Christy said she's gettin' rid of the table!!!!
mad.gif
I wish I could have taken it!!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

See, I'm the kind of guy who'd like to answer to each one of you individually, but it seems it will take an hour... And I don't feel like talking an hour right now. Still, I want to thank you all for your excellent answers.

Here's my question. We all seem to know that we do this because we aren't able in real life. From the moment that we take conscience of the problem, why can't we face it and find solutions. See, IRL, I'm not shy and I speak to everyone and blablabla... But, strangely, it feels great and I have like a strange bound to this forum, because people read and answer me. What I find sad is that most of us won't get the chance to see each others. My point is that we have people around us IRL with whom we can share things. The human contact is important. McPhisto's Advocate, I think you could try what I call stupidity. Try it in public and you'll find that looking like a fool doesn't kill. From this time on, you won't be scared of people reaction. Chain reaction leading you to tell what you really think, because you won't really care of what people will think of it. The hard part is to find equilibrium between the "I don't care what you think" and "what you think still worth something".

Feed my thoughts, please people, feed me!!!

Can we get a satisfaction from "agreeing with ourselves"? I mean, why do we need others approval? Mostly "stangers" approval... I need my REAL friends approval.. Well, I guess that some of your real friends are here, if it's the only place you're being totally true and honest. But, then, there is still a problem. You're not being yourself on a everyday basis. Why aren't we trying that?

I agree that it's a lot easier to find U2 fans on a U2 forum and that's cool. But some of us spend HOURS on it. Why? I mean, it's a kind of waste of time.... Don't you think? Cause we're not doing anything constructive. At least, most of the time...

I'm more the face to face kind of guy. But still, I appreciate sharing thoughts on the web. And, DAMN, I can't figure why... Maybe it's still the humanity through it that warms me up. I don't know. But we can,t get too deep and personal with general answers. Are we still at ease, even with distance, to be entirely honest? I mean, we share thought maybe we wouldn't share IRL, but are we entirely honest? Do we put more than we think?

Wondering...

People who thinks they have a connection with me, you know, that it just clicks, e-mail me: soul_serv@hotmail.com

hey soul service
smile.gif

I'd pretty much agree with the sentiments of everyone here. I don't truely know anyone here so I feel free to express the things that are on my mind that you can't just walk up to people and start a conversation about. I'd have to say that I've received some pretty wonderful responses from people too, and on top of that I love reading what other people are thinking as well, because then I don't feel so alone in my silly mind, analyzing every aspect of my life.

It's a great relief for me, I just wish I actually knew more people that I could talk with openly about these things, I have maybe about 5 in my 'real life' which I guess isn't bad but still...
you all here must think I'm pretty damn boring with the content of my posts but oh well
biggrin.gif

Ali, you sound like my long-lost twin
wink.gif

btw, I e-mailed you back..don't know if you got it because it's the first time I e-mailed from that addy hehe

oh yes, Soul service,you're from Quebec? you've been to Quebec City, right? have you ever seen a beer called U2 (it's Unibroue) there? I mentioned it here and nobody'd ever heard of it..I actually kinda liked it which is strange since I don't really like beer that much..musta been the name!

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

I must agree with you. 5 is a lot! See, I give myself to most people I see. I find the limits first, but then I give myself to the limit. People have a lot to give. These forums are here to prove it. But it's a lot easier. When I speak to people face to face and that I give myself to them, they always answer back by giving them too!! See, we all have a lot of things to share. I wonder why some are unable to do it in real life and why they just literally put their soul "purely", naked on the web. Why aren't we looking for an equilibrium??

Back
Top Bottom