Why do they call themselves WORLD CHAMPS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAL

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
when pro sports just play in america, and canada?

I guess you could argue cause teams are made up of different nationalities....

just always boggled my mind

For the same reason why we usually call the Intercontinental Cup the World Cup....(soccer).......There's a huge quality gap with the rest of the world....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Originally posted by Vorsprung:
For the same reason why we usually call the Intercontinental Cup the World Cup....(soccer).......There's a huge quality gap with the rest of the world....

Yup - Do you a team outside of North America that can beat the World Series Champs? No, not Japan....

What about American Football, Basketball or NHL team?

If this thread goes deep can end in free your mind.
wink.gif

Even if its unlikely that a Japan team beat an american in baseball, if they don't play then its not world.

Is from more about advertising.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Geez, its because most of these championship series were started back in the early 1900s. To draw people in, they had to advertise somehow, with something like "Come see the best baseball teams play for the championship of the world!!!" People back then didn't really care about being PC, so it worked. The titles just stuck, and so we still play the World Series every October, which is almost always two American teams.

I look forward to having a true World Series of baseball someday, with teams from all over the world (N America, Central America, S. America, Japan, China, Europe, etc). Some people say the North American teams would have a huge advantage, but I disagree. About half of the players in the major leagues were born outside the US, so it could definitely be an even series.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Good question, but the sports are not same the world over. Lets say the NFL, other than NFL Europe, does any other country have an NFL? I really doubt that NFL Euro would play on the level of NFL in America.

um..i wasn't having a go at Americans when I said they are arrogant. I was referring to the sports associations.
Australia does it too. We have a World Series cricket comp which is played only by about 9 teams.

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Geez, its because most of these championship series were started back in the early 1900s. To draw people in, they had to advertise somehow, with something like "Come see the best baseball teams play for the championship of the world!!!" People back then didn't really care about being PC, so it worked. The titles just stuck, and so we still play the World Series every October, which is almost always two American teams.

I look forward to having a true World Series of baseball someday, with teams from all over the world (N America, Central America, S. America, Japan, China, Europe, etc). Some people say the North American teams would have a huge advantage, but I disagree. About half of the players in the major leagues were born outside the US, so it could definitely be an even series.

yeah, what he said.

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

[This message has been edited by zooropa16 (edited 04-14-2002).]

Because the best baseball players in the world play in MLB, the best basketball players in the world play in the NBA and the best hockey players in the world play in the NHL. That's why.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

Originally posted by z edge:
Good question, but the sports are not same the world over. Lets say the NFL, other than NFL Europe, does any other country have an NFL? I really doubt that NFL Euro would play on the level of NFL in America.

Well, I know for one that Canada produces a lot of high quality players, but they all move to the States to play for the NFL instead of staying in Canada with the CFL. More money, recognition, etc, etc.

Besides, with many of these sports, hockey, football...the States is really one of the few countries that can afford it. I know my dad could have been a pro footballer in high school, but his high school didn't have enough $$$ to have someone videotape him playing (this was in the 60s/70s). Thus, he couldn't get a scholarship. Canadian schools don't offer sports scholarships (except I think, UBC) so we can't produce these super athletes that train all the time with the best facilities, coaches, sponsers, etc.

We can't technically them world champions because the rest of the world hasn't had a chance to participate. If other countries were given the $$$ they could produce some great athletes (i.e. Australia - who puts so much money into their sports programs (like swimming)).

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 04-27-2002).]

Originally posted by z edge:
I really doubt that NFL Euro would play on the level of NFL in America.
NFL Europe is mainly a second league for (mostly) US American football players that aren't good enough for the NFL.

As for scholarships. We don't have that problem here, since sport isn't that much linked with schools. Yo just join a local club, and they are frequently scouted by regional pro teams and they offer young talented players to play for them (over here usually from age 12/13). So it isn't really necessary to look for a pro team yourself and show them your qualities, usually they'll come and check you out themselves, although they also have talent scouting days where you can present yourself to the club.

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Back
Top Bottom