Why do some people diss Sting so much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
I don't really know much about the man or his music, but I've noticed that there seems to be plenty of detractors whose hatred goes far beyond simply not liking Sting's music, so I'm wondering why is that.

I think Sting is a great musician and a cool rain-forest saving type or guy, and a generally all-round nice bloke
smile.gif

There are always idiots around (they inhabit the music press which I tend to avoid, and other such dark places) who want their pound of flesh, but draw your own conclusions.
As Far as I can see everyone loves him, hehe

------------------
look at the moon t-t-t-t-t when a horse runs through dark waters then the pig has no legs.

?*~darkcloud~*?

Sting is a great musician and a wonderful songwriter but at times he's too precious for words which irritates the living bejeezus out of some of us. And then you have the car commercials and dubious collaborations...

Too summarize:

Songs: GOOD!

Turning Desert Rain and Walking on the Moon
into car adverts: BAD!!

Performing with Backstreet Boys, Puff Daddy and Ally McBeal: HIDEOUS BEYOND COMPREHENSION.

MAP

I forgot to mention his "collaboration" with Bryan Adams. *shudder*

MAP

p.s.- HEY! There's nothing wrong with Ryan Adams!
*B*ryan Admans.
Oh, you got me there mate.

sting rawks.
the police rawks.

although if i had to choose between seeing U2 live and seeing sting live, i'd only choose U2 because sting is one of those live acts that just kinda stands around, at least nowadays.

but back in his early solo days and with the police, live he was
icon14.gif

------------------
sunlight, sunlight fills my room, it's sharp and it's clear but nothing at all like the moon...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Because Sting seems to lend an image of having sold out (whatever definition you choose)...

His albums tend to have that world music sound these days and everyone hates world music
wink.gif

Last, its b/c of him that the Police will never get back together.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Regardless of the whole "selling out" thing, I still think Sting is the man...Anyone ever hear "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying" or "The Pirate's Bride" or "Windmills Of Your Mind"...or...(not to mention the Police Stuff!)....?

------------------
N A T E

Does love light up your Christmas tree?
The next minute you're blowing a fuse
and the cartoon network turns into the news...

Mainly because they're jealous of his great talent and amazing looks.

Besides that, yeah, he has done too much corporate sponsorship lately. But it doesn't really bother me a whole lot because he is still the only musician who I like everything by, and that is no small accomplishment.

As for his concerts, I saw him in 1996 and 2000 and I loved both shows. He could rock out more, but I really had no complaints, except the second time I saw him he certainly could have been a LITTLE more chatty. Who knows, maybe if I had seen him on earlier tours I would have been disappointed with the more recent shows. But as it was, I loved them and I was just irritated and depressed by all the people online who seemed to want to tell me how boring and selfcentred Sting is now. I actually left the Sting/Police mailing list because it was so incredibly depressing and negative. It was getting me down.

By the way, why do people always rant about Sting's corporate sponsorship and don't go after Moby, who licensed every single song on his album to ads?

And I don't care about his collaborations. I happen to like Bryan Adams (though I used to like him more.) My first concert, in 1994, was Bryan Adams and in some ways it was still the best I've been to. THREE HOURS SOLID. Tell me who else you can say that about. And who cares if he appears with some silly people like the Backstreet Boys? Yes, I despise them. I despise Britney Spears, who Bono has recorded with, more.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 03-17-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom