why do people rate the beatles so highly? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 03:54 AM
lots of good points here, also remember this -
the beatles did everything they did withing a span of like 10 years. in the time it takes bands today to record 3 or so albums, they did everything. certainly it was a different time and place, but they routinely put out 2 albums a year at the beginning of their career. they essentially revolutionized the recording process, perfected pop songwriting, and melded pop with substance in a way the world had never seen or even imagined.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #47
Refugee

i want more from typhoon -
that dude's funny.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Yeah, I hope typhoon won't be discouraged from posting too.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 08:54 AM
dudeman U2 has done it better and longer, and they have made the greatest live impact the world has ever seen
and they continue.....don't forget that, there's even more brilliance to come from the greatest band of all time: U2
Old 12-20-2005, 12:15 AM   #50
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
They're really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, good.
I was gonna write a long post but that about says it really.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris
dudeman U2 has done it better and longer, and they have made the greatest live impact the world has ever seen
and they continue.....don't forget that, there's even more brilliance to come from the greatest band of all time: U2
the beatles had more impact on music than U2
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

the beatles had more impact on music than U2
yep.

It's not debatable.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Hi U2Man!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Hi Zoot!

Nube Gris, what exactly do you mean by 'better and longer'? U2 have been together for some 25+ years now, yes. But what matters is what they have managed to create in all of those years, and U2's catalogue is by any measure an ant compared to the Beatles'. Give U2 another 25 years and they will not be able to match the song treasure of The Beatles. Not even close. This is of course my perspective, but I think you'll find similar opinions among people outside a board like this.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #55
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

This will flush him out:

What's so great about the Beatles anyway, Like didn't George Gershwin or Irving Berlin write all their songs for them?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris
did you read what i said? i said nothing about the beatles longevity - there's nothing to speak of. only that all the amazing music they made, and the crazy transition they went through, all occurred over a dizzyingly SHORT period of time. 240+ songs, 14 albums (i think) in 10 years! U2 was never ever remotely so prolific. try squeezing everything u2 did, image-wise, musically from boy to zoo tv to pop to HTDAAB and have it all done by 1990 and you're getting close. i'm not sure any 'big' band has ever been so active. maybe zeppelin...granted, it's a different business now, and u2 actually tours, but that wasn't my point.
and the term 'better' is subjective.
and don't you forget that without the beatles, u2's music would sound very different indeed. everyone's would.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #57
Refugee

anyone with some time should check out the wikipedia entry for sgt. peppers. give it a read, and you'll see just how many artistic and technological advances the beatles made on this one album alone. they changed the entire recording process. techniques and concepts that artists routinely use today (and we take for granted) were literally invented by members of the beatles and george martin during this 4 month session. from the double track vocal technology used today prominently by billy corgan, to paul's technique of recording 'line in' bass parts, they invented flanging and a bunch of other effects, panning of effects signals to other channels (see radiohead and nigel godrich)...beyond their songwriting genius, they were a technically brilliant bunch. they deserve ALL the accolades. it's a fascinating read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 PM   #58
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by OnFire
This will flush him out:

What's so great about the Beatles anyway, Like didn't George Gershwin or Irving Berlin write all their songs for them?
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

TYPHOON SMASH.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not the greatest fan of their work, personally, but even I can appreciate their contributions to the music world. Popular music today would be nothing without them.

Melon
Old 12-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #60
The Fly

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by OnFire

This will flush him out:

Please oh please oh PLEASE tell me this is sarcasm...please?

livi