why do people rate the beatles so highly? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 143
Local Time: 04:10 AM
And if anyone wants to slate Nirvana they can jolly well fuck off. Kurt Cobain didn't play wanky Jimmy Page guitar solos for a reason. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, I think he's a great songwriter, but I also think he is given too much credit. let's remember that the ramones, the sex pistols and the entire punk rock revolution were the precedent for bands like nirvana.
__________________

__________________
Tennis05 is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Another reason why the Beattles are rated so highly is because 99.9% of pop/rock artists get there ideas, melodies, and ideas from the Beattles music. Most people don't even realize that much of what they are listening to wouldn't be possible w/o the Beattles & their breaking new sounds and the idea that anything is possible w/ music.
__________________

__________________
Numb1075 is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,464
Local Time: 11:10 PM
those who came first will always be held in higher esteem than those who followed.

it's just the way it goes.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,953
Local Time: 05:10 AM
Making the classic rock 4-men lineup and the concept of songwriting famous, also one of the first if not the first band to play a stadium

Having arguably the best songwriters ever

Experimenting wildly with the 60's "technology"

Influencing 95% or more music you hear today

just a few thoughts
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #20
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 09:10 PM
I know this is going to blow some people's minds here, but:

PEOPLE HERE RATE U2 MORE HIGHLY THAN OTHER PEOPLE.

That's the answer to every question of the form "Why is this band ranked higher in this arbitrary list than U2? That band is so overrated."
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #21
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 09:10 PM
To add to that, not everything is some big critical conspiracy where they feel obliged to praise a band because everyone else is doing it.

Just Nirvana.
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #22
War Child
 
Nube Gris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 759
Local Time: 04:10 AM
Headache in a Suitcase
that's the reason
__________________
Nube Gris is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,415
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris

AB maybe the best ever album
No, it's not. Not even close. Despite the fact that U2 are my favourite band/artist by a LONG shot, if I had to choose only one album to listen to for the rest of my life it'd be a Bob Dylan or Beatles (maybe Led Zeppelin) album. Certainly NOT Achtung Baby. It's not even remotely close to the best album of all time.

Top 50, for sure. But not the best. Not even Top 10. Same with Joshua Tree.

People get all angry whenever these lists come out, like U2 is owed #1 in everything. U2's amazing. Life-changing, even. But to say that they're better than the Beatles an Bob Dylan...well that's a reach. Even Bono, with his enormous ego wouldn't claim that.

What really makes me go bonkers is when people bitch that The Edge isn't number one on some "Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list. I can't believe some people here honestly think that The Edge is a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix or Duane Allman.

Come on, people. Take off the fanboy glasses and *think*. These lists are pretty close to what the norm would be if you polled a random segment of the population.

[/rant]
__________________
DaveC is online now  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #24
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 373
Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


No, it's not. Not even close. Despite the fact that U2 are my favourite band/artist by a LONG shot, if I had to choose only one album to listen to for the rest of my life it'd be a Bob Dylan or Beatles (maybe Led Zeppelin) album. Certainly NOT Achtung Baby. It's not even remotely close to the best album of all time.

Top 50, for sure. But not the best. Not even Top 10. Same with Joshua Tree.

People get all angry whenever these lists come out, like U2 is owed #1 in everything. U2's amazing. Life-changing, even. But to say that they're better than the Beatles an Bob Dylan...well that's a reach. Even Bono, with his enormous ego wouldn't claim that.

What really makes me go bonkers is when people bitch that The Edge isn't number one on some "Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list. I can't believe some people here honestly think that The Edge is a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix or Duane Allman.

Come on, people. Take off the fanboy glasses and *think*. These lists are pretty close to what the norm would be if you polled a random segment of the population.

[/rant]

I think you're being pretentious here. I would take AB and JT over any beatles and Dylan records any day. I can sit down and listen to beatles records and honestly enjoy bits of it, but there are also a lot of fillers in there as well imho. They also don't have the emotion in their music (bits of abbey road apart) the way u2 has. AB was very progressive, it still sounds as fresh now as it ever has. I could say that about most u2 records actually, but couldn't say the same about the beatles.
__________________
akann is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
LyricalDrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA
Posts: 3,212
Local Time: 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tennis05
And if anyone wants to slate Nirvana they can jolly well fuck off. Kurt Cobain didn't play wanky Jimmy Page guitar solos for a reason.
I agree, I think he's a great songwriter, but I also think he is given too much credit. let's remember that the ramones, the sex pistols and the entire punk rock revolution were the precedent for bands like nirvana. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, agreed. Nirvana is great, one of the best bands ever, but they're still overrated. Achtung Baby is better than Nevermind.
__________________
LyricalDrug is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,362
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


No, it's not. Not even close. Despite the fact that U2 are my favourite band/artist by a LONG shot, if I had to choose only one album to listen to for the rest of my life it'd be a Bob Dylan or Beatles (maybe Led Zeppelin) album. Certainly NOT Achtung Baby. It's not even remotely close to the best album of all time.

Top 50, for sure. But not the best. Not even Top 10. Same with Joshua Tree.

People get all angry whenever these lists come out, like U2 is owed #1 in everything. U2's amazing. Life-changing, even. But to say that they're better than the Beatles an Bob Dylan...well that's a reach. Even Bono, with his enormous ego wouldn't claim that.

What really makes me go bonkers is when people bitch that The Edge isn't number one on some "Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list. I can't believe some people here honestly think that The Edge is a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix or Duane Allman.

Come on, people. Take off the fanboy glasses and *think*. These lists are pretty close to what the norm would be if you polled a random segment of the population.

[/rant]
Funny. You state that Achtung isn't even close as if it's a fact. It's actually an opinion. These lists mean nothing in the big scheme of things. Another list down the road will have an entirely different ranking. Oh and to say that even Bono wouldn't admit to U2 being better or as good might just be a stretch. Sure he may never say it becasue he'd be blasted for it but Bono has been quoted as saying U2 songs have more weight to them than Beatles songs. What does that mean? certainly not that their songs weigh more in kilograms. I agree with whoever posted the sugestion that alot of critics feel their credibility is on the line if they don't include certain bands or albums. I mean sure Sgt. Pepper's was amazing and it was experiemental but for anyone to sit here and honestly say that it is a better album than AB or JT is ridiculous. Though that is simply my opinion. So many bands and albums are remaining on these lists due to their reputation. They were the first rock n' roll bands so of course their albums were inovative but if it wasn't them it would've been somone else. U2 is one of the greatest of all time, AB and JT are two of the greatest(top 20 most definately) albums of all time and the only thing working against U2 being on these lists at this time is that they are still relevant. Look at the list again and you can only spot two bands that are still somewhat relevant today. Bruce Springstien and the Rolling Stones. And in fact their relevance today can be questioned. Sure they're stil great but how relevant are they? I kind of went all over the place with this post but just look back at the list again and think. There's obviously more to it than simply great albums. there's an obvious agenda. As someone else pointed out, don't worry about lists.
__________________
Hallucination is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #27
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 09:10 PM
U2's "emotion" isn't the only emotion there is. It's actually usually a bit distant, since Bono tends to write from a perspective or as a third party (unless he really is a heroin addict), kind of like, oh, I dunno, McCartney. Lennon got a bit emotional too, although he was much more direct.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that people look for different things in music? You honestly can't even imagine how someone could prefer Sgt. Pepper's... to The Joshua Tree? There must be an "agenda"? Do Bono's effusive vocals impress you that much?

What does "relevance" have to do with good music anyway? It's a cop-out term used by people who don't want to just come out and say, "I like this band more, and therefore, everyone should like this band more." You should write for Rolling Stone.

And yes, these are just dumb lists that pick a bunch of "safe" old bands. But that doesn't necessarily mean the bands don't deserve it. The backlash is stupid.

Music fans are the worst thing about music.
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #28
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 373
Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
U2's "emotion" isn't the only emotion there is. It's actually usually a bit distant, since Bono tends to write from a perspective or as a third party (unless he really is a heroin addict), kind of like, oh, I dunno, McCartney. Lennon got a bit emotional too, although he was much more direct.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that people look for different things in music? You honestly can't even imagine how someone could prefer Sgt. Pepper's... to The Joshua Tree? There must be an "agenda"? Do Bono's effusive vocals impress you that much?

What does "relevance" have to do with good music anyway? It's a cop-out term used by people who don't want to just come out and say, "I like this band more, and therefore, everyone should like this band more." You should write for Rolling Stone.

And yes, these are just dumb lists that pick a bunch of "safe" old bands. But that doesn't necessarily mean the bands don't deserve it. The backlash is stupid.

Music fans are the worst thing about music.

Not true. I was comparing u2 with the beatles and not anyone else. I think radiohead have just as much emotion in their music as u2 does imho and would rank ok computer alongside JT and AB. I was just stating the fact that I don't enjoy the beatles as much as u2. is that so wrong?? or are the beatles so untouchable that we are not allowed to like other groups more??
__________________
akann is offline  
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #29
Acrobat
 
Acrobat_Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 430
Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by akann

or are the beatles so untouchable that we are not allowed to like other groups more??
Yes, they're...



I love U2, I love the Beatles, I love Radiohead, I love Nirvana... that's all that matters...this discussion is pointless...
__________________
Acrobat_Al is offline  
Old 12-15-2005, 01:01 AM   #30
War Child
 
Nube Gris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 759
Local Time: 04:10 AM
akkan
great post, as always
U2 ocuppies an emotional terrain that didn't exist before them, as Bono mentioned. He so fucking right!
AB and Joshua Tree are infested with those elements, in a way never reached before, not even by The Beatles
This is one of the strongest points to suggest that this albums should be considered at the very top of every list

And someone said AB is better than Nevermind. Of Course it is!
A lot better, a lot fucking better! no question about it
__________________

__________________
Nube Gris is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com