Why do LotR fans get so damn upset...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klodomir

Refugee
... every time someone says something nice about Harry Pothead? I haven't seen either, but why do they feel so threatened by that poor little boy? Do they have a problem with the size of their movie?

I'm a LOTR fan...and have nothing against Harry Potter...read the books and saw the movie and they were ok...

On most of the LOTR boards I vist...I find they are also HP fans...in fact most of them wanted HP to do well because it would be a shot in the arm for the fantasy genre..

I think what makes most LOTR fans upset is Tolkien not getting enough credit for practically starting the genre...if there were no Frodo...would there be a Harry?

dream wanderer

The same reason everyone here gets so upset about anything having to do with *NSync or Britney, etc.

I'm not going to give a positive or negative view about Harry Potter, but there's no denying that at this point it is nothing more than a pop culture phenomenon.

There's nothing wrong with Harry Potter and there's nothing wrong with liking Harry Potter, but when compared to Tolkien's work it is much lighter. That's fine. Here's the analogy I use to describe them:

Harry Potter = Mickey Blue Eyes
Lord of the Rings = The Godfather

Both good, but in different ways (and listen people, if you hated Mickey Blue Eyes keep it to yourself, you should at least understand the point).

I think a lot of LOTR fans are just a little miffed that a creation of the last couple years and has hardly stood anything resembling the "test of time" is getting so much hype.

Hm. Well, I didn't expect to find any of those crazy LotR fans here, and apparently I was right.
smile.gif

Some people just take thing a liiiittle to seriously, I guess.

We're everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

The N'synch comparison is a good one...U2 has been around forever and still needs to work hard to be appreciated...while an upstart is getting all the glory...

dream wanderer

MSU, have you READ the Harry Potter books? I've liked them since before they were a "pop culture phenomenon." I hate that HP has been turned into action figures and lunch boxes, etc., but the fact remains that they are good books for kids and adults who like a fun, easy read. I believe they will be around for a very long time.

[This message has been edited by Peaseblossom (edited 12-04-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom