"why do I like country music now?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Q: "Hey Che, why do I like country music now?"

A: "Cause it's good and you're old."

I can live with that.

"Can I Sleep In Your Arms?"- Willie Nelson

It kills me. What a beauty of a song.

Because if you don't listen to every genre, you're a philistine?

i guess it depends on what kind of "country".

and i guess the same can be said about "rock" music, or any other genre.

good times.

I've liked some country since I was a kid. It's like Zoomerang said, it depends on the kind. I remember buying my mom Willie Nelson's Greatest Hits for Mother's Day when I was around 12 or 13, but it was one of those selfish gifts that kids are wont to give, where they actually want it more than the recipient does.

New country, what I've heard of it, seems like mostly bland crap to me. I truly think if Nickleback's lead singer adopted a bit of a twang, they could be played on country radio these days.

Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Hank Sr, Patsy, Loretta, Dolly :up:

I know I'm risking ridicule by posting this, but take a look at these links - I think they're so incredible that it's worth the risk. This band is currently one of the top 5 on the show America's Next Top Band. They're bluegrass - roots, and any music lover I've talked to recently that has seen them have fallen in love with them. These guys are amazing. Let me know what you think.:

Clark Brothers performing Dylan's Maggie's Farm and an original

Clark Brothers performing The Stones' Gimme Shelter

MrBrau1 said:
Q: "Hey Che, why do I like country music now?"

A: "Cause it's good and you're old."

I can live with that.

"Can I Sleep In Your Arms?"- Willie Nelson

It kills me. What a beauty of a song.

You've been drinking, haven't you?

inmyplace13 said:
Because if you don't listen to every genre, you're a philistine?

in my experience, on this board especially, and in life, the opposite is true.

Hell, some people who haven't even heard a band's entire catalog vocally vote in "Best Album" polls.

And proudly so.

Well, as long as we're singing the praises of Emmylou Harris, I'll identify my favorite song of hers. It is....

"Hobo's Lullaby" - - (from the "Folkways: A Vision Shared -- Tribute to Woody Guthrie" album). I think it came out in 1987? I love that album, but I think it's out of production/print.

Here is the track listing:

1. Sylvie - Sweet Honey in the Rock
2. Pretty Boy Floyd - Bob Dylan
3. Do-Re-Mi - John Mellencamp
4. I Ain't Got No Home - Bruce Springsteen
5. Jesus Christ - U2
6. Rock Island Line - Fishbone, Little Richard
7. East Texas Red - Arlo Guthrie
8. Philadelphia Lawyer - Willie Nelson
9. Hobo's Lullaby - Emmylou Harris
10. Bourgeois Blues - Taj Mahal
11. Gray Goose - Sweet Honey in the Rock
12. Goodnight Irene - Brian Wilson
13. Vigilante Man - Bruce Springsteen
14. This Land Is Your Land - Little Red School House Chorus, Pete Seeger, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Doc Watson

Damn! If you don't have it, get it. Bob Dylan's "Pretty Boy Floyd" I sing to myself constantly. "Rock Island Line" by Little Richard is outstanding. In fact, I'll stop now because I love most of these tunes. It is honest, historical, and meaningful American music and something I am culturally proud of (despite the fact that I had nothing to do with it).

Knuckle said:
Well, as long as we're singing the praises of Emmylou Harris, I'll identify my favorite song of hers. It is....

"Hobo's Lullaby" - - (from the "Folkways: A Vision Shared -- Tribute to Woody Guthrie" album). I think it came out in 1987? I love that album, but I think it's out of production/print.

Here is the track listing:

1. Sylvie - Sweet Honey in the Rock
2. Pretty Boy Floyd - Bob Dylan
3. Do-Re-Mi - John Mellencamp
4. I Ain't Got No Home - Bruce Springsteen
5. Jesus Christ - U2
6. Rock Island Line - Fishbone, Little Richard
7. East Texas Red - Arlo Guthrie
8. Philadelphia Lawyer - Willie Nelson
9. Hobo's Lullaby - Emmylou Harris
10. Bourgeois Blues - Taj Mahal
11. Gray Goose - Sweet Honey in the Rock
12. Goodnight Irene - Brian Wilson
13. Vigilante Man - Bruce Springsteen
14. This Land Is Your Land - Little Red School House Chorus, Pete Seeger, Sweet Honey in the Rock, Doc Watson

Damn! If you don't have it, get it. Bob Dylan's "Pretty Boy Floyd" I sing to myself constantly. "Rock Island Line" by Little Richard is outstanding. In fact, I'll stop now because I love most of these tunes. It is honest, historical, and meaningful American music and something I am culturally proud of (despite the fact that I had nothing to do with it).

Good album. Most people here have "Jesus Christ." But the whole thing is worthy of attention.

As for my favorite Emmylou Harris tune, right now, it's "Boulder To Birmingham." It plays in my dreams. Breathtaking tune.

Runner-up would be "Blueberry Wine."

What a contrast to "Boulder." Country honk.

I should say that, with regard to my post (above), other than the "Folkways" album, I am almost entirely ignorant to the music of Emmylou Harris. So, my selection of "Hobo's Lullaby" as my favorite tune of hers is based upon that song only. Nonetheless, I like it quite a bit.

Time to check out some other M.E.Lou Harris tunes.

I just found a used copy of Folkways on CD a few months ago. It made my day!

I have a much higher tolerance for country music these days than I ever used to. But aside from the Dixie Chicks (their album "Home" is absolutely fantastic), I don't care for the modern country stuff you hear on the radio. I don't like twang, I don't like the sheen. (I like a few songs here and there - I'll cop to liking Miranda Lambert.)

I like the roots-type stuff, like that Dixie Chicks album, the more folksy stuff, you know? Stuff like the Folkways album, and the Springsteen Seeger Sessions thing.

But I like a good songwriter, too. Lyle Lovett, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Emmylou Harris are all tops in my book. And you can't go wrong with Johnny Cash. I don't own any Willie Nelson, but I've developed an appreciation for what he's done.

I'm not a fan of much of today's country. I do enjoy some of Keith Urban's work, some of Faith Hill's, Tim McGraw's etc. I am a huge fan of the Dixie Chicks. They're one of the few country acts that's come out in the past 10 years or so, that remind me of the older country music.

You can't get much better than the man in black, Mr. Johnny Cash.:drool: I can't think of one subpar song in his entire catalogue. The man was an absolute genius. No one wrote and sang of the struggle and pain of life than he did.

I'm also a fan of Dolly Parton, especially her older work. Emmylou Harris is someone I discovered pretty recently, but I'm loving her already. She's a fantastic storyteller, and I love her voice. Reba McEntire is one of my all-time favorite artist's as well, along with one of my favorite female vocalists. Like any other genre, country, has become cookie cutter, mindless drivel. It's a shame.

Last edited:
Knuckle said:
I should say that, with regard to my post (above), other than the "Folkways" album, I am almost entirely ignorant to the music of Emmylou Harris. So, my selection of "Hobo's Lullaby" as my favorite tune of hers is based upon that song only. Nonetheless, I like it quite a bit.

Time to check out some other M.E.Lou Harris tunes.

Her voice and choice of material is ace.

And she's a looker.

Then
EMMYLOUHARRIS3.jpg

and now

atremmy.jpg

Wow, she is pretty. Nice pictures :up:.

U2isthebest said:
I do enjoy some of Keith Urban's work

I've heard a few of his songs thanks to my sister. He's not bad, no :).

U2isthebest said:
I am a huge fan of the Dixie Chicks. They're one of the few country acts that's come out in the past 10 years or so, that remind me of the older country music.

I've only heard one album in full by them (their last one), and a few random songs outside of that. Excellent stuff, though, from what I've heard-and based on what I've seen of them in interviews and such, they seem like pretty cool people. And that one album of theirs I've heard is great-this makes me want to go listen to it again...

Tim McGraw I don't really listen to, but again, based on the interview bits I've heard and stuff, I have respect for the guy as a person. Same with Faith. I like that they've been together for quite some time. Same with Randy Travis-again, not another artist I really listen to, but I admire him 'cause he just goes out there and makes the music he wants to make and seems genuine in everything he does. I really respect that.

Fully agreed on Johnny Cash, too, he was awesome, as were some of those old-time country artists-I've always liked what I've heard from the musicians of that time period (another one to mention-Patsy Cline, anybody?). Anyone I'm not that familiar with, I'll check 'em out further.

U2isthebest said:
Like any other genre, country, has become cookie cutter, mindless drivel. It's a shame.

Yeah, every genre has its share of crap. But that's what makes coming across the good stuff all the more worthwhile :). I went through a major country music phase around 11, 12 years of age, so I can't totally bash the genre. Watched CMT all the time. I remember liking LeAnn Rimes quite a bit.

Angela

MrBrau1 said:

As for my favorite Emmylou Harris tune, right now, it's "Boulder To Birmingham." It plays in my dreams. Breathtaking tune.

:drool:

Willie Nelson's Phases & Stages is the best country album I've ever heard. I even prefer it over Red Headed Stranger.

MrBrau1 said:

:drool: :combust: :faint: :heart:

Wonderful voice, great songs and also amazing live.
I still need to buy her Songbird boxset... :shifty:
I think my favourite Emmylou Harris song is The Pearl (from Red Dirt Girl), but it alternates with Orphan Girl (from Wrecking Ball, such a sad song :sad: ). And the rest of her catalogue is excellent too.

As for other country artist, I'm also not a fan of the current style. But old-skool ( :giggle: ) country I dig. Johnny (didn't buy American Recordings until earlier this year, but that one is already one of my favourite albums ever), Willy, Hank, Dolly, etc.

But Emmylou... :eek:

I remember being a kid and driving around with my dad listening to Emmylou's Spyboy and Wrecking Ball LPs.

Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom